Good entry in the series?

Greetings!

I've never played any Ratchet & Clank games before, despite owning quite a few of them. 
Given that this game became available as part of the PS Plus Subscription, I was wandering if it's a good game to start this series or if it's recomended to follow the chronological order. (maybe not because of the plot, but because of the gameplay improovements that happened over the years)

• Like 1

This is the best Ratchet and Clank game since the original trilogy released in the early 2000s, so it would be a decent game to start with, but if you have the time I recommend playing them through in release order. Some of the best PS games out there! Doing yourself a disservice to not at least try them out! 

In my opinion the only bad game is All 4 One as it's heavily dumbed down for co-op and just generally shit. Full Frontal Assault or Q Force depending where you are is a tower defence sort of game so might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I thought it was at least decent. The 2016 "remake" of the first game has amazing gameplay but they combine story elements from the first few and butcher a lot of the character development, so you could skip that one too imo...

I highly recommend the rest!

• Like 4

Yes: Plays great, very impressive graphics and presentation, diverse weapon roster, the game is an AAA platformer which are as about as endangered species as the Lombax. 

No: Franchise has been cooked since 2004, meh music, nothing new gameplay or narrative wise, new protagonist and sidekick are divisive, not very funny or satirical for a game known for its humor and satire, and very short.

I’d play the original trilogy and go from there.

Edited by Wagszilla
  • Like 1

I'd say no, while R&C doesn't have some deep lore or anything, you're kinda thrown into action and the game expects you to know the characters and the reasons things are happening. I very strongly recommend playing R&C 2016 first, it's a fantastic game and great, modernized entry to the series since it's a loose, reimagined remake of the very first game. And honestly, it's pretty much the same game, R&C games aren't famous for innovation, but rather perfecting the formula.
The rest of the R&C franchise, well, they're all great, fun games (even the ones considered "bad" R&C titles imo) but they're locked behind old HW or streaming(?), so I would play Ratchet 2016 first and then decide if you want to play the rest. 3 and Gladiator/Deadlocked are probably my favorites, but it might be the nostalgia speaking :D

• Like 2

I’m playing it now for the first ever time and I’m loving it. Gameplay is smooth, story is solid and it’s just ridiculously fun.

it’s also bloody gorgeous like damn they went all in with making it look pretty.

Well worth the 10-15 hour playtime it’ll take to Platinum

• Like 1

Aside from there being too few enemy bosses, captain quark's voice change (I’m guessing his original VA is too old to continue?) and the platinum trophy not demanding a full challenge mode playthrough, in addition to only needing to collect five gold bolts and upgrading one weapon half-way to max level, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is an excellent game. The gameplay, performance, story and visuals are all top tier.

Although I’d personally recommend checking out earlier franchise instalments first as the Ratchet & Clank games have always referenced to past characters, events, locations etc. (the exhibits inside the museum which you go through and explore before the final act of Into The Nexus on planet Igliak has the most lore and believe me, it’s a lot better having experienced said references in the respective entries before reaching that part of the 2013 game), Rift Apart can still be enjoyed with little prior knowledge on the IP.

Edited by Dry

my opinion is that the story is just decent. The game/characters has become way to family friendly in recent years (all the characters way to kind and that makes it lacking a bit personality wise for me). However I loved the gameplay and graphics. All in all i would recommend it as it still is a fun game. Not worth paying full price, but through ps plus if you dont mind not owning it.

3 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

Hopefully another entry is being made for the ps5.

With how Rift Apart ended and what the credits showed, there’s a very good chance down the road. But Insomniac’s got their hands full with Spider-Man and Wolverine for now.

In my honest opinion however, whatever the next entry will be should be the last for the franchise, as a proper send off to a Lombax hero who was gonna retire before the events of Rift Apart happened. I have a couple good ideas of how that could happen, but I’m not gonna spoil anything major for everyone here who’s starting the franchise.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lil-Gameboy123 said:

With how Rift Apart ended and what the credits showed, there’s a very good chance down the road. But Insomniac’s got their hands full with Spider-Man and Wolverine for now.

In my honest opinion however, whatever the next entry will be should be the last for the franchise, as a proper send off to a Lombax hero who was gonna retire before the events of Rift Apart happened. I have a couple good ideas of how that could happen, but I’m not gonna spoil anything major for everyone here who’s starting the franchise.

Agree. Hopefully Wolverine is far enough along to release in 2024 but i doubt it.

But still, i hope to see one more entry. Especially on ps5

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 1:14 PM, Lil-Gameboy123 said:

I’ve said this before in a reply to another member’s status but I’d be interested in a Rivet spin-off entry (akin to inFAMOUS: First Light, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy etc.). Perhaps after a possible sequel following the events of Rift Apart as you’ve mentioned?

Edited by Dry
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Dry said:

I’ve said this before in a reply to another member’s status but I’d be interested in a Rivet spinoff game (akin to inFAMOUS: First Light, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy etc.). Perhaps after a possible sequel following the events of Rift Apart as you’ve mentioned?

Big maybe, but only time will tell. I’m also interested in a Rivet spinoff game cause I really enjoyed playing as her and learning her backstory while maintaining her high spirits. She’s since become my favorite character.

Perhaps a prequel to Rift Apart that solely focuses on Rivet… or something I’ve been thinking about on my mind. The spin-off I would like to see is where Ratchet mysteriously disappears and Rivet teams up with Talwyn to find their Lombax hero. I personally find it fitting since Talwyn never really had an appearance in Rift Apart, so this would be a good way to make up for it… and to hopefully address their relationship status cause they’re not really explored in depth.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2023 at 0:48 PM, Lil-Gameboy123 said:

*Snip*

This sums it up nicely. All 4 One was the first R&C game I ever played when we got it on PS+ back in 2013 and I enjoyed it so much that I bought EVERY R&C game up to that point and Platted them all (and also played Tools of Destruction and Quest for Booty). I completely fell in love with this franchise through that...R&C is easily my favorite mascot title on PlayStation.

But yeah Rift Apart edged out R&C3 and A Crack in Time as my favorite in the franchise. It's a bit short and a little too easy at times...but it's such a ride and is one of the early games that shows us what the PS5 can do and Rivet is a welcome addition to the series. 

As for starting with Rift Apart....you might as well, you won't be that confused. But Rift Apart is a sequel to Into the Nexus, so there are some things that you might not understand. At the very least, you could go with the 2016 Remake first. 

• Like 3

On 5/16/2023 at 7:46 PM, Dry said:

Aside from there being too few enemy bosses, captain quark's voice change (I’m guessing his original VA is too old to continue?) and the platinum trophy not demanding a full challenge mode playthrough, in addition to only needing to collect five gold bolts and upgrading one weapon half-way to max level, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is an excellent game. The gameplay, performance, story and visuals are all top tier.

I also noticed Captain Qwark’s voice being different. But it’s not because of old age after looking it up. The voice actor, Jim Ward, was dealing with Alzheimer’s and a severe case of COVID-19 at the time, so he couldn’t continue his acting career anymore and Scott Whyte filled in the gap. Although I personally hate Qwark for his cowardice and trying to kill ratchet in the earlier games, Jim Ward did a nice job making him so believably bad for a former hero.

Also, yeah Rift Apart imo was too easy with the lack of finding all the Gold Bolts, no difficulty or Challenge Mode playthrough required, and not upgrading every weapon to max level, as they were what made the R&C franchise rewarding for trophy hunters and fans alike. It’s a great game, but it felt like a free pass in those mentioned aspects.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2023 at 7:16 AM, Lil-Gameboy123 said:

I also noticed Captain Qwark’s voice being different. But it’s not because of old age after looking it up. The voice actor, Jim Ward, was dealing with Alzheimer’s and a severe case of COVID-19 at the time, so he couldn’t continue his acting career anymore and Scott Whyte filled in the gap. Although I personally hate Qwark for his cowardice and trying to kill ratchet in the earlier games, Jim Ward did a nice job making him so believably bad for a former hero.

Shame. Hope life ‘n’ stuff for him isn’t going TOO bad ATM.

On 5/23/2023 at 7:16 AM, Lil-Gameboy123 said:

Also, yeah Rift Apart imo was too easy with the lack of finding all the Gold Bolts, no difficulty or Challenge Mode playthrough required, and not upgrading every weapon to max level, as they were what made the R&C franchise rewarding for trophy hunters and fans alike. It’s a great game, but it felt like a free pass in those mentioned aspects.

The Rift Apart platinum trophy is just a participation medal, really. I’m personally not too fussed there’s no difficulty trophies and I bet even if the game’s trophy list did get one of those, most trophy collectors/hunters would cheese it through the use of accessibility features (SIE wouldn’t allow such settings to disable trophies, not anymore). The path of least resistance.

I think what gets to me the most is the fact Insomniac Games specifically addressed “trophy hunters” on a tweet revealing the game’s trophies before release yet upon inspection, when I see no trophies for grabbing all gold bolts, maxing out all weapons and beating the story a second time, I begin to question their care for said demographic.

Heck, if SIE and/or the developers REALLY didn’t want to block the platinum from the reach of mega casuals or any player with needs (those who make great use of accessibility options), maybe they could’ve just put all collectible, difficulty, playthrough, weapon etc. trophies onto a DLC trophy pack over the base game (just as they did previously for the Spider-Man New Game Plus and the PS5 version’s “Remastered” trophies)?

Edited by Dry

On 5/16/2023 at 11:19 AM, connorbartram said:

This is the best Ratchet and Clank game since the original trilogy released in the early 2000s, so it would be a decent game to start with, but if you have the time I recommend playing them through in release order. Some of the best PS games out there! Doing yourself a disservice to not at least try them out! 

In my opinion the only bad game is All 4 One as it's heavily dumbed down for co-op and just generally shit. Full Frontal Assault or Q Force depending where you are is a tower defence sort of game so might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I thought it was at least decent. The 2016 "remake" of the first game has amazing gameplay but they combine story elements from the first few and butcher a lot of the character development, so you could skip that one too imo...

I highly recommend the rest!

2016 remake isn't canon to the rest of the series.  Which is why it's different.

On 5/25/2023 at 11:02 AM, captsplatter said:

2016 remake isn't canon to the rest of the series, which is why it's different.

Part remake of the original 2002 PS2 game, part franchise reboot, part tie-in with the mediocre (albeit visually stunning, in my opinion) cinematic release turned straight to DVD computer animation:

Edited by Dry

1 hour ago, Dry said:

Part remake of the original 2002 PS2 game, part franchise reboot, part tie-in with the mediocre (albeit visually stunning, in my opinion) cinematic release turned straight to DVD computer animation:

I expected the movie to be bad as movie adaptations of popular video games don’t usually perform well critically, besides the Super Mario movie. I watched the movie myself and I personally find it better than that awful excuse of an Uncharted Movie.

• Like 1