Good entry in the series?

19 minutes ago, Jelly Soup said:

Aside to the movie talks: Read the comics. They take place just after A Crack In Time, it's pretty good.

I would if the comics weren’t so hard to find in public or cost close to $100 per issue on Amazon. Luckily, they’re like $2 per issue on ITunes, just so anyone else is wondering.

6 minutes ago, Lil-Gameboy123 said:

I would if the comics weren’t so hard to find in public or cost close to $100 per issue on Amazon. Luckily, they’re like $2 per issue on ITunes, just so anyone else is wondering.

I was unaware of that strange price hike. I read them via "other" means.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jelly Soup said:

Aside to the movie talks: Read the comics. They take place just after A Crack In Time, it's pretty good.

Yea they’re great. Makes me want the future trilogy games on PS5 with a 4K coat of paint

• Like 2

Having platinumed them all I'd say to anyone to start from the first one and work your way through it chronologically. On a side note, I don't know why but I'm not enjoying Rift Apart anywhere close to how much I enjoyed past Ratchet games. No way in hell is Rift Apart a bad game but yeah, I just don't get why it's not clicking with me as much. I feel like something's missing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

Having platinumed them all I'd say to anyone to start from the first one and work your way through it chronologically. On a side note, I don't know why but I'm not enjoying Rift Apart anywhere close to how much I enjoyed past Ratchet games. No way in hell is Rift Apart a bad game but yeah, I just don't get why it's not clicking with me as much. I feel like something's missing.

Also having done them (including vita) i was fairly dissapointed, considering it costs $120 in australia. For a 7 hour platinum not even speedrunning is an absolute joke. Its visually stunning but very very short.

Yeah, another thing I should’ve mentioned earlier is the day one RRP.

It doesn’t matter to me how much effort was put into the game, if one playthrough can take anywhere less than 10 hours then it really shouldn’t be selling at greater than or equal to full AAA pricing. Both @Yo_Its_DLOADING and I live down under, for anybody reading this from beyond believe me as I say looking at that $120 Australian price tag is no fun.

Edited by Dry
  • Like 1

The game felt like a rushed, incomplete product to showcase the graphics. While it looks pretty, the gameplay definitely needed more work. They throw so much stuff on the screen at once yet, the action segments come and go so fast, I felt like I had A.D.D. playing. 

I'd understand if this was a console system launch title, hence the "rushed" product but it wasn't. Wasn't bad, just a bit disappointing. 

I think you could jump into the franchise with any game, with the possible exception of A Crack in Time, since Tools of Destruction / Quest for Booty /  A Crack in Time are a pretty heavily (and amazing) tied together trilogy and are worth playing in order.

While Rift Apart was visually stunning, with great gameplay and a good story, I was still disappointed. The story they were using had so much potential and I felt they wasted it. I just hope we don't have to wait as long for the next game but we probably will.

Rift Apart didn't feel rushed to me at all personally, and Ratchet & Clank games have felt pretty short for a number of years now. It's the most fun I've had with the series since A Crack in Time (Into The Nexus was also really good, but it was way too short), and - although it seems to be continuing the whole "find the Lombaxes" story arc that's been going on as far back as Tools of Destruction - it still feels like a fresh enough start that leaves itself more accessible to people who haven't played any of the older titles in the series. Personally I think one should start with the original game, however, but that's just me. I'm not the biggest fan of it, mind you, but it's still quite fun and sets up the foundation for its sequels gameplay-wise rather nicely. Otherwise I think the game you start with doesn't matter too much, at least for the most part.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

Rift Apart platinum achieved. Overall I was disappointed. It wasn't a bad game but it just didn't resonate with me like the past Ratchet games did. And the RYNO weapon SUCKED! Ugh, WHY change it so completely that it's unrecognizable to any fan of the series?!

The gold bolts are pointless to get really unless you want unlimited health and ammo, which won't be afforded to you until you've collected numbers 23 and 24 of the 25 total. By that point the game's damn near over anyway, unless you feel like playing the entire game again in Challenge mode but why would you want to? Do you remember when the gold bolts were always required for a trophy? Do you remember when they were actually a challenge (and some a straight up pain in the ass) to get? Yeah, well, not anymore on either front. 

Oh and don't waste your money on that "Launch Edition" crap. It costs a lot more and is utterly useless. You get one bullshit gun and like 4 complete armor sets that add nothing whatsoever to your stats. It's purely cosmetic, whoop-de-fucking-do. I mistakenly bought it thinking that you got what the Digital Deluxe edition gives you. 

On that note, why can't a game just be a goddamn game anymore? Why does there always have to be like 50 million different "editions". Yes, I know, "50 million" is a complete and utter exaggeration on my part but it just sounds better to say it like that when complaining about it, lol.

Edited by MrTacoNinja
Spelling Correction
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 5:41 PM, MrTacoNinja said:

Rift Apart platinum achieved. Overall I was disappointed. It wasn't a bad game but it just didn't resonate with me like the past Ratchet games did. And the RYNO weapon SUCKED! Ugh, WHY change it so completely that it's unrecognisable to any fan of the series?!

…But that Horizon easter egg tho. 🥺🥺🥺

The gold bolts are pointless to get really unless you want unlimited health and ammo, which won't be afforded to you until you've collected numbers 23 and 24 of the 25 total.

Even more so this time ‘round thanks to accessibility.

By that point the game's damn near over anyway, unless you feel like playing the entire game again in Challenge mode but why would you want to? Do you remember when the gold bolts were always required for a trophy? Do you remember when they were actually a challenge (and some a straight up pain in the ass) to get? Yeah, well, not anymore on either front.

Rift Apart does have a trophy tied to gold bolts, just not one for collecting all of them. A damn shame indeed.

Edited by Dry

5 hours ago, MrTacoNinja said:

Rift Apart platinum achieved. Overall I was disappointed. It wasn't a bad game but it just didn't resonate with me like the past Ratchet games did. And the RYNO weapon SUCKED! Ugh, WHY change it so completely that it's unrecognizable to any fan of the series?!

The gold bolts are pointless to get really unless you want unlimited health and ammo, which won't be afforded to you until you've collected numbers 23 and 24 of the 25 total. By that point the game's damn near over anyway, unless you feel like playing the entire game again in Challenge mode but why would you want to? Do you remember when the gold bolts were always required for a trophy? Do you remember when they were actually a challenge (and some a straight up pain in the ass) to get? Yeah, well, not anymore on either front. 

Oh and don't waste your money on that "Launch Edition" crap. It costs a lot more and is utterly useless. You get one bullshit gun and like 4 complete armor sets that add nothing whatsoever to your stats. It's purely cosmetic, whoop-de-fucking-do. I mistakenly bought it thinking that you got what the Digital Deluxe edition gives you. 

Totally agreeable on all fronts. First off, the RYNO in the game felt both unrecognizable and pointless when I played it, as a majority of my weapons were already kicking ass as it is lol. As much as I admired the different versions the RYNO had in the franchise (R&C1 with lock on missiles, RYNO II feeling like a deadly machine gun, and RY3NO just straight up nuking your enemies with bright lights), this one was just a complete miss for me.

Collecting 5 bolts vs all of them in the game was also a shocker for a $70 game. I was expecting to get them all like the past entries, but nowadays people would rather enjoy the story than to explore the areas to their full potential ?. Even those bugged Craiggerbears were the worst collectibles I’ve ever collected in  R&C for the platinum, like what’s the point? What’s so important about these Craiggerbears? Why are they a thing? :shakefist:

Challenge Mode should’ve been a trophy, alongside beating the game on a harder difficulty. Despite needing to start it to obtain the remaining weapons I needed, it should’ve forced us to beat the story again on a harder difficulty for a better challenge. A Crack in Time and Into The Nexus delivered those aspects well, where you actually needed to get good and power up or prepare for an ass whooping.

Lastly, the Pre-Order / Launch edition content? TERRIBLE choices, as I never really used the pixelizor weapon or even the extra amor sets, except to get the armor trophy early. Hell, even the 20th Anniversary armor pack wasn’t enough to bring me back, let alone the armor in the Digitial Deluxe Edition.

Overall, Rift Apart has its faults in being too easy, too pricey, and probably too overhyped. But don’t get me wrong, it’s still the best in the franchise and it always will be. I just wish the platinum had better justice to it.

Btw, they just announced a July 26 release date for the game on PC. I’m gonna feel sorry for all you PC players to experience a fantastic game with the mentioned flaws.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Dry said:

Rift Apart does have a trophy tied to gold bolts, just not one for collecting all of them. A damn shame indeed.

That's what I meant. You used to have to collect ALL of them for one trophy. I should've worded it better in my post. 

12 hours ago, Dry said:

Even more so this time ‘round thanks to accessibility.

Exactly! Why the fuck would I even need "unlimited health" when there's an option right from the get-go in the difficulty settings that literally says "player cannot die during combat".

13 hours ago, Dry said:

But that Horizon easter egg tho.

I wouldn't know anything about it as I've never played a Horizon game.

7 hours ago, Lil-Gameboy123 said:

But don’t get me wrong, it’s still the best in the franchise

I agree 100% with everything you said in your post except for what I quoted above. For me any other Ratchet game in the series was better than Rift Apart. Well, except Full Frontal Assault, that one was my least favorite. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrTacoNinja said:

Exactly! Why the fuck would I even need "unlimited health" when there's an option right from the get-go in the difficulty settings that literally says "player cannot die during combat".

The fact that Rift Apart is using unlimited health and stuff is just insulting to the legacy of the R&C mechanics. In previous entries, you had to kill a bunch of enemies to increase your overall Nanotech, with later planets giving more XP due to the enemies being stronger. Before all that, the first R&C required you to save bolts and buy two Nanotech drinks to upgrade your health.

It honestly takes away the rewarding experience of actually getting better to beat the game. As much as I don’t mind Accessibility features, a game like Rift Apart shouldn’t even need them when you can literally play on the easiest difficulty and plow through every single enemy like it’s target practice.

1 hour ago, MrTacoNinja said:

I agree 100% with everything you said in your post except for what I quoted above. For me any other Ratchet game in the series was better than Rift Apart. Well, except Full Frontal Assault, that one was my least favorite. 

Well… besides Rift Apart, my other personal favorite was Deadlocked. A game with all combat and no puzzles felt like a breath of fresh air and it was a nice change of pace for me personally.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

@Lil-Gameboy123 Dude... FUCK those Ace Bunyon races on the Vita, ha ha ha! Going Commando was awesome but holy shit pickle on the Vita those races made me want to kick a puppy!

I will admit, the races (hoverboard, motorbike, and Ace Bunyan) on the Vita R&C collection were a little harder, even with a trigger case to help me with the Twisty McMarx move for a skill point in the first game.
But my god, those space races where you needed to go through all the loops for a platinum bolt against Ace Bunyan were rough on the Vita, cause of how sensitive steering your ship was. Took me about a half hour for one of those races because I was more concerned about being ahead of Ace Bunyan than trying to stay at a slow pace to go through each loop for a bolt. Never wanna do that shit again.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2023 at 8:19 AM, Domino_Destructo said:

Start with the original trilogy because they are better games overall and introduce you to the characters.

I watched the vid and it’s funny how this person makes Rivet seem like a character who lacks empathetic feelings in the game, especially with Kit later in the story. They clearly forgot the fact that Ratchet himself was the same way in his first adventure.

Ratchet isn’t innocent either because in the first game, he becomes an ass towards Clank after they both fell into a trap by Captain Qwark, whom Clank insisted they needed help with in stopping Chairman Drek. Ratchet continues this behavior until he finally gets his revenge on Qwark by destroying his ship in combat. It is only then, that Ratchet makes up for his behavior and continues to work with Clank in saving the Galaxy.

So this in comparison imo makes Rift Apart come full circle with Ratchet and Clank’s debut. Like the dynamic duo, Rivet and Kit started off fine and started knowing each other more over the course of the game. Then halfway through, Kit isolates herself and angers Rivet for not putting the past behind her and making things right for their dimension. It isn’t until the final battle however, that Kit and Rivet forgave each other and began working together as a dynamic duo like Ratchet and Clank.

I mean yeah, Insomniac may have presented them as like-able and cute characters, but they do show empathetic behavior in serious situations. Both Lombaxes may have been upset and angry with their robot companions for their instincts landing them in trouble, but they make up for their mistakes in the end and they continue working together like a true friendship.

In Ratchets case, he’s been with Clank for so long that he’s shown great concern for him. Before Rift Apart, he wanted to find Clank and make sure he’s safe after he was taken by the Zoni within Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, and a Crack in Time. Then there’s Into The Nexus, where he says to Clank that he has everything he wants in their dimension (with Talwyn being the main reason for Ratchet selflessly leaving behind his pursuit of finding the missing Lombax race).

As for Rivet, she may be coming off as socially awkward when she first meets Ratchet in person, but she is willing to do what’s necessary to save the Galaxy and to help those in need like Ratchet. She also may be hostile towards Clank at first, but she gets along with him after bonding with him more, although her backstory provides a good reason why her behavior towards robots in the beginning was skeptical. She was even willing to give Kit a chance to redeem herself after Clank convinces her to try and forgive Kit for the incident resulting in her arm being shot off. This shows how much she cares for others and how high spirited her character is, despite the numerous defeats to Emperor Nefarious and how dark her dimension is as a result, but she keeps her head held high, continues to fight, and doesn’t let any negativity slow her down.

So in the end, the review video basically was in too deep analyzing the characters empathetic behaviors and judges them for their first outing rather than waiting to see what happens next to make a full conclusion of their character in general, hence why i don’t care about reviews most of the time, critical or audience wise. I’m not saying Rivet is perfect, but I feel like people like that are missing the point of the term “character development”. I’m sure whatever happens next with R&C will make Rivet appear or act better than their debut by some margin. Even Ratchet himself wasn’t perfect, as it took just one game for Insomniac to find a more mature voice over for Ratchet and to present him more as the hero we know today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lil-Gameboy123 said:

I watched the vid and it’s funny how this person makes Rivet seem like a character who lacks empathetic feelings in the game, especially with Kit later in the story. They clearly forgot the fact that Ratchet himself was the same way in his first adventure.

The key difference lies in the emotional states of these characters. Unlike Kit, Clank wasn't emotionally hurt when Ratchet was mad at him. Empathy is about understanding another person's feelings and acting accordingly. Rivet seems to be lacking this ability as she couldn't comprehend Kits suffering and just abandoned her.

Edited by Domino_Destructo
  • Like 1

To be fair, Ratchet didn't lose an entire limb or - by extension - have a traumatic experience because of Clank. Ratchet's anger towards Clank had more to do with Qwark's betrayal and the subsequential desire for revenge against him, with Clank being a scapegoat and target of Ratchet's disdain for the simple reason of having been the one that fell for Qwark's trap in the first place. All of which is considerably more juvenile by comparison.

And to say that Clank wasn't emotionally hurt by Ratchet being mad at him isn't remotely correct either. He merely lashed back at Ratchet's immaturity and shortsightedness, which is a different type of emotional pain (but is a form of it nonetheless). It's also not like the original game was trying to convey too much in the way of emotional angst either, so it has more to do with that not really being as much of a focus at the time and therefore not feeling as well conveyed as it could have been in hindsight (hence why I hate Ratchet's personality in the first game lol).

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Domino_Destructo said:

The key difference lies in the emotional states of these characters. Unlike Kit, Clank wasn't emotionally hurt when Ratchet was mad at him. Empathy is about understanding another person's feelings and acting accordingly. Rivet seems to be lacking this ability as she couldn't comprehend Kits suffering and just abandoned her.

That’s also because Kit kept thinking that she was broken, which only added more to their issues. Rivet was of course, confronted by Ratchet for abandoning Kit, only for her to argue back with his fear on finding the Lombaxes and that her fear of robots makes more sense. At least they both apologized quickly about it. But like I said, hopefully whatever happens next will work on improving Rivet’s socializations now that she and Kit are a duo and she no longer feels lonely in that manner. But yes, her lack of empathy was something I made a case of as I struggle with that aspect myself.

1 hour ago, Zephrese said:

To be fair, Ratchet didn't lose an entire limb or - by extension - have a traumatic experience because of Clank. Ratchet's anger towards Clank had more to do with Qwark's betrayal and the subsequential desire for revenge against him, with Clank being a scapegoat and target of Ratchet's disdain for the simple reason of having been the one that fell for Qwark's trap in the first place. All of which is considerably more juvenile by comparison.

And to say that Clank wasn't emotionally hurt by Ratchet being mad at him isn't remotely correct either. He merely lashed back at Ratchet's immaturity and shortsightedness, which is a different type of emotional pain (but is a form of it nonetheless). It's also not like the original game was trying to convey too much in the way of emotional angst either, so it has more to do with that not really being as much of a focus at the time and therefore not feeling as well conveyed as it could have been in hindsight (hence why I hate Ratchet's personality in the first game lol).

Ratchet’s behavior on Qwark’s betrayal was reasonable, but putting his overall disdain on Clank has only created tension between them in R&C1. Even his arrogance had him interacting with the locals in a rude manner and wanted nothing more with saving the Galaxy. I also didn’t respect his original personality in that regard either and would prefer his 2016 reaction than the OG.

However, the Remake has Ratchet leaving the Galactic Rangers feeling guilty and apparently responsible for the deaths of all the innocent lives on the destroyed planet by the Deplanetizer. But with this Remake, Clank finds Ratchet and comforts him by letting him know that everyone was successfully evacuated beforehand. To compare between these two interactions, comforting someone over guilt had some more emotional aspects to their interactions than the original, where they were just at each other because Ratchet got betrayed by someone he idolized as their hero.

• Like 2

Rift Apart is definitely a very good entry in the series.

I would highly recommend to play the original trilogy (1, 2 and 3) as well as some of the best entries such as Deadlocked, A Crack in Time and the remake.

The trilogy is available through the PS Premium subscription, and the remake is part of the PS Plus collection/PS Extra I believe. I don''t know about the others.

I'd say it's not a huge deal if you don't do them in chronological order, but you'd appreciate the stories more if you started from, the beginning.

Anyway, welcome to the R&C experience, this is one the best and most fun game series out there, you won't regret it.

Edited by bosstristan
  • Like 3

On 5.06.2023 at 3:33 AM, Zephrese said:

That's all correct, but more specifically Clank wasn't in an emotionally vulnerable state like Kit. He wasn't sad or depressed, more like upset and disappointed with Ratchet's approach. Rivet's reaction seemed so cold in comparison, that's why I disagree with the statement that Ratchet was the same way.

On 5.06.2023 at 5:07 AM, bosstristan said:

I would highly recommend to play the original trilogy (1, 2 and 3) as well as some of the best entries such as Deadlocked, A Crack in Time and the remake.

I enjoyed all of the titles you mentioned, except for the 2016 reboot. It was just disappointing and I would never play it again. It's actually the opposite of what made the original so good.

Edited by Domino_Destructo