PlayStation 5 - Project Q Revealed

Ghost

17 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Hoped it works for PS4, but I doubt it.

Unfortunately the video says it requires a PS5, although I expect that means you can remote play PS4 and PS5 games on the PS5.

I currently use a Razer Kishi with my 6.7" iPhone and it works very well for playing games locally over WiFi. The controller cost about $80 and is way better than those plastic brackets that suspend your phone above your controller. I used to use it with Stadia but now it's just for remote play.

Not sure how much I'd pay to get 1.3" of extra screen real estate unless the new device offers something other than just remote play with Dualsense functionality. Sony has stated their interest in getting more involved in cloud gaming so maybe it'll hook into that somehow.

Just now, Boorish said:

I don't know how so many people have a good experience with remote play. I just played a couple of hours of P5R with remote play over local WiFi and it was abysmal. Constant disconnections, input lag, and stuttering to mention the least. I have a 400Mbps internet and it's still is unbearably bad. Maybe it's just Comcast lol.

If you're playing on local WiFi then your Internet connection has nothing to do with it, although if your WiFi router is from your ISP then maybe it's not very good. There are often settings on your phone that can cause problems, things like background app refresh and other stuff that can cause temporary lag but it's sort of hard to pinpoint exact causes since so many people have so many apps on their phones.

If your PlayStation is using WiFi you should connect it to your router using an Ethernet cable to cut out any lag between the console and the router. If you are using the router provided by your ISP then it might not have a strong signal to the room where you play. I used to have issues with Remote Play but a while back I switched to using an eero mesh WiFi router setup and since then my WiFi speeds have been really good almost anywhere in the house.

Most local WiFi issues come down to router placement and signal strength, so if you have an old WiFi router that doesn't have any mesh functionality it might just be that the signal strength isn't good enough, or the throughput isn't good enough, etc.

The thing is, if you're having problems with the Remote Play app then you'll likely have problems with the Sony handheld as well, since end of day it's going to be doing remote play over the same WiFi network you use today. You won't have to worry about phone-related problems, but bad WiFi will always be bad WiFi.

• Like 3

So a handheld you can only use on the go when you have gauranteed internet? Kind of defeats the purpose of the handheld doesn't it?

I love the VITA and PSP and generally play them from home but they have the option to game on the go without the net.

The only way this would be useful is if it can download a game or two to the system so you wouldn't need a constant internet connection.

I might be missing the point entirely I guess but for me whatever this sells for would be money better served on new games.

8 minutes ago, Boorish said:

That’s probably it. Apparently I had a wrong understanding of how remote play works lol.

Well I mean technically you can remote play on your smartphone over cellular LTE, so in that case your home Internet connection speed would matter (your upload speed anyway), but that also introduces a bunch of other potential problems, not to mention it sucks up a good amount of your cellular data. When you're at home you're just using your smartphone as a screen while the game plays on your PS4/PS5 and your WiFi connection is the thing that makes or breaks it.

It's been my experience as a techie-type for many years that most bad WiFi experiences come down to using slow, old, or bad quality routers, often provided by the ISP, and the only way to fix it is to buy your own decent quality hardware, which for most people means a mesh network or specialized gaming router to ensure good coverage. If you're connecting to 2.4Ghz WiFi from a single node router, or ISP combo router, that's downstairs by your modem while you're upstairs at the farthest possible point from the router then odds are your experience isn't going to be pretty.

Unfortunately the only real solution to this is to improve the WiFi signal at your home which typically means either moving things around or buying better hardware and using that instead of the stuff your ISP provides.

• Like 1

If its going to be useless on trains, planes etc. then they might as well have made a digital only PS4 super slim with m.2 ssd. At least then you could have a proper gaming experience when you finally get to the hotel. As much as I dislike digital-only consoles, I just cant see myself streaming on unreliable public internet connections or mobile networks that can barely handle netflix.

I kinda like the earbuds...if they could be used outside of the PS5, like just listening to music on my phone. But I have absolutely no use for this streaming controller thing. I don't see this thing going over very well for Sony. 

If it was an actual new Handheld/Vita 2, this probably would have won the internet when they showed it. Sony so badly doesn't want to support something people actually want.