Anyone remember

UNLEADED_BRONZE

On 11/06/2023 at 6:06 PM, Burkiemeister said:

I can remember them burying a million copies of E.T. in the desert.
I can remember buying a 16kb ram pack for a Sinclair ZX81. Yes, that’s 16kb (not 16mb, or 16 gb).

I remember buying games on cassette tapes.

Yes, I am that old….and still gaming….

Lol, I had a Vic20 so I can relate! Used to insert the cassette, go out to play with my sister, come back half hour later only to find there was error whilst loading.

I remember buying books which gave you an entire BASIC programming code for a game so you could type out the entire thing to play a game you didn’t have. Absolutely nuts lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved this! But I don't mind having digital games. They are cheaper here and don't produce contamination. I remember that my copy of Assassin's Creed III has a paper saying that they were taking care of the planet by not putting a manual in the box... in the paper.. in a physical box.

My favourite is the Uncharted 2 one that looks like an old book from the game. I love that all of them have those old commercials from other games, or accesories from that time.

Nowadays they are completely empty.

Edited by Jeanoltt

• 3 months later...
On 6/12/2023 at 9:52 PM, VoidVictorious said:

Is your collection gone? lol

I couldn't agree more, strange times we live in indeed,eventually gamers will have no control or true ownership of their games,

And what are digital downloaded games but a bunch of meaningless files on your system, with no memories or emotional attachment to them.

• Like 1

Yes to all of those. Nephew asked me at one point why it was so good. Had to explain that it really wasn't better than current options, just a different experience with it's own quarks that made it memorable. He'll feel the same in 20 years after current options have changed or been replaced.

On 6/11/2023 at 2:23 AM, Sikutai said:

And digitally in the 90s? I don't understand your thought process.

1200px-Sega_Channel.svg.png

Additionally, there were several (limited) online game services/providers in the 90s. A good read in general.