Anyone remember

UNLEADED_BRONZE

The prevalence of local multiplayer is essentially the only thing on this list which I have very fond memories of. Diablo, Gauntlet, Baldur's Gate, Champions of Norrath and more... some of the best days of my miserable life were family get-togethers where we played these all day, arguing over stolen loot. Or sometimes, we'd have heated split-screen deathmatch battles in GoldenEye, Quake, Turok, etc. instead. Sadly, it'll never be like that again, not just because games have changed, but also life/familial relationships are completely different now.

What I won't miss is buying overpriced, often inaccurate guides from crowded Electronics Boutique mall stores. Can still vividly remember how mind-blown I was the first time I searched up a comprehensive walkthrough on GameFAQs for free, using my introductory computer (a horrid refurbished Compaq, equipped with a 56k modem). It was so awesome, I never bought another strategy book afterward. Fortunately, many in my collection maintained their initial monetary value, and several even appreciated, allowing me to sell most of them for a nice return. One rare guide even went for $80.

As for rental places, they rarely had the games I wanted in stock, which was super annoying. Usually had to settle for picking some random crap off the shelf to try.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Infected Elite said:

Games go on sale in stores, on amazon, and digitally all the damn time.....

Read, process, understand. Just as a little tip. In the 90s there were neither sales nor price reductions in the first few years. And digitally in the 90s? I don't understand your thought process.

11 hours ago, StraightVege said:

The prevalence of local multiplayer is essentially the only thing on this list which I have very fond memories of. Diablo, Gauntlet, Baldur's Gate, Champions of Norrath and more... some of the best days of my miserable life were family get-togethers where we played these all day, arguing over stolen loot. Or sometimes, we'd have heated split-screen deathmatch battles in GoldenEye, Quake, Turok, etc. instead. Sadly, it'll never be like that again, not just because games have changed, but also life/familial relationships are completely different now.

What I won't miss is buying overpriced, often inaccurate guides from crowded Electronics Boutique mall stores. Can still vividly remember how mind-blown I was the first time I searched up a comprehensive walkthrough on GameFAQs for free, using my introductory computer (a horrid refurbished Compaq, equipped with a 56k modem). It was so awesome, I never bought another strategy book afterward. Fortunately, many in my collection maintained their initial monetary value, and several even appreciated, allowing me to sell most of them for a nice return. One rare guide even went for $80.

As for rental places, they rarely had the games I wanted in stock, which was super annoying. Usually had to settle for picking some random crap off the shelf to try.

Yeah, I agree almost entirely. The only thing on the original list I miss is the quality local coop. Gauntlet, golden eye, crash bash, and Olympic Games hold special memories amongst friends growing up.

Dont think I ever rented a game before and I’ve certainly never played a demo. I don’t really understand the physical games reference as I pretty much only play physical games on PS5. If I couldn’t buy and hold the majority of my games I honestly think I would quit gaming so digital isn’t even really a thing from my POV - it feels as strong as ever to me but maybe I’m wrong, I dunno.

• Like 1

I remember. But I also remember:

Arcades

Cheesy gaming advertisements

Console Wars

Game trading between friends

Gaming magazines

Gaming TV shows

"Hot Coffee" controversy

Monday Night Wars

"Naked Lara" urban legend

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater golden era (1999-2003 or THPS-THUG)

The good ol' days.

EDIT: Typos.

Edited by kenseizenkai
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sikutai said:

In the 90s there were neither sales nor price reductions in the first few years.

Yeah, truth be said, as long as I played on SEGA consoles I don't think I ever bought or even seen a game that wasn't full price.

First time I saw a discounted game was when the PS1 Platinum label debuted. It was a huge move by Sony at the time.

51P4J8TCNAL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Everything changed with the popularity and huge catalog of the PS2 though. Games started getting reduced prices mere months after release, even out of the Platinum line.

5 minutes ago, VoidVictorious said:

It was a lot of fun finding broken, scratched, and damaged games as soon as I got home. I loved the return trip to find out that my broken copy was the only one in stock. Great stuff!

That was a pretty shitty store you went to ?

I never had that problem with games or movies.

ps: love when the profile picture matches the comment.

13 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

That was a pretty shitty store you went to 1f602.png

I never had that problem with games or movies.

ps: love when the profile picture matches the comment.

Blockbuster was a pretty shitty store. Agreed! lol Portugal probably isn’t the best example of Blockbuster’s shit show. 

Here is a little bit of reading for entertainment: https://www.indigo9digital.com/blog/blockbusterfailure

Edited by VoidVictorious
lol

9 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

@VoidVictorious We had a few Blockbuster stores, but most video stores were smaller local businesses.

The ones I knew had attentive owners and people were usually careful with the stuff they took home.

@LastMinuteSavior The smaller stores were a bit better. I probably went to 20 Blockbuster Videos at least when they were popular because they used to be everywhere. Sometimes you just got an empty case…lol. It was pretty bad.

• Like 1