Anyone remember

UNLEADED_BRONZE

Nothing like a nice thick game manual. I especially love the ones full of character bios, maybe a list of enemies and/or weapons. There were always those big thick ones though that I thought would be great but we're actually full of other languages, haha. 

Now days I'm shocked when I open a game and find a double sided quick start guide

• Like 4

Well, physical copies of games never went away - for me, it's just more convenient to go almost entirely digital now (barring certain Japanese games where I can get a better price on eBay than PSN) because I just don't have the physical space to store hundreds and hundreds of cases and discs...and because it's a lot easier to keep track of sales/discover new games by just following what PSN puts up.

I'm thankful that physical copies are still around; especially for games that are delisted.

Strategy guides though, that was definitely a big part of my childhood. Often more times than the game; as I would bring them to school. I got in trouble a lot for bringing my Dino Crisis 2 strategy guide to school. I still have some of the ones I had as a kid, and I'm purchasing ones for games I really like -- especially retro games. At the time when I was growing up, bringing strategy guides to school was to show your friends what games you were playing, and where you were located.

Information was just a lot more valuable back then.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

I'm thankful that physical copies are still around; especially for games that are delisted.

Strategy guides though, that was definitely a big part of my childhood. Often more times than the game; as I would bring them to school. I got in trouble a lot for bringing my Dino Crisis 2 strategy guide to school. I still have some of the ones I had as a kid, and I'm purchasing ones for games I really like -- especially retro games. At the time when I was growing up, bringing strategy guides to school was to show your friends what games you were playing, and where you were located.

Information was just a lot more valuable back then.

The amount of times I had my Final Fantasy 7 strategy guide confiscated by teachers in high school because my friends and I would bust it open in class. That guide was beaten up and passed around so much in 7th and 8th grade (2000/2001) that the cover has fallen off and the spine has started to split apart. I recently came across it when going through my old bedroom at my parents house. Great memories!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ninjise said:

I remember buying physical games and reading the manual in the car while I was eagerly waiting to arrive home and try the new game, it's those little moments that I look fondly funnily enough.

Dude that feeling of anticipation was the absolute best 

On 10.6.2023 at 3:15 PM, UNLEADED_BRONZE said:

Anyone remember:

Cheat/guide books

Family/friend split screen co-op

Physical copies of games

Blockbuster or other game rental shop 

Return after acouple nights

Demos in with game magazines 

Now the games\media is digital

Internet 

Guides/walkthroughs

All still exist

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sikutai said:

Read, process, understand. Just as a little tip. In the 90s there were neither sales nor price reductions in the first few years. And digitally in the 90s? I don't understand your thought process.

there were sales back then too. Maybe not in your country but we always had sales from SNES/SEGA to PS2 etc. Certain stores. 

You can add consoles to the list, that will give this thread some real longevity. 

I remember cartridges, and how fun they were to get working after a while, my one button atari controller, and going to Sega CD with live acting scenes in game and a whole lot of hardware crashes.  Good times.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Kittens Are Awesome said:

Keeps everyone in line and avoids wrongthink. You say the wrong thing or have an "incorrect opinion", yoink, your whole collection is gone.

?

Companies prefer digital stores because they save on distribution, the cost of manufacturing physical media and don't have to share sales profit with retailers.

Not because they're facists.

Edited by LastMinuteSavior
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Awesome said:

I'm sure all the big companies love when you guys go full digital. Keeps everyone in line and avoids wrongthink. You say the wrong thing or have an "incorrect opinion", yoink, your whole collection is gone.

I like to actually own my games. 

That makes absolutely no sense.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I’m not worried ‘cause I made this hat.

No more aliens probing your thoughts,

no more military forcing you to do their wetwork, and no more yoinking from PlayStation.

2 hours ago, audiopile said:

I remember cartridges, and how fun they were to get working after a while

Tell me you didn't blow into the contacts!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kittens Are Awesome said:

I'm sure all the big companies love when you guys go full digital. Keeps everyone in line and avoids wrongthink. You say the wrong thing or have an "incorrect opinion", yoink, your whole collection is gone.

I like to actually own my games. 

Is your collection gone? lol

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kittens Are Awesome said:

Must be nice living in that gated community, huh?

I've known more than a handful of people who have had their accounts nuked for saying the wrong thing. Some knew what they said, some have not.

I can't believe you people are that naive. I guess Cypger was right. "Ignorance is bliss."

Be careful you might say the wrong thing and have your account nuked. That’s what I heard from one dude anyway…?