RDR Remaster (Rumor)

JammyWizard

In the past few days we've had some new rumours pop up in regards to a Remaster/Remake of the first Red Dead Redemption game. While it's not the first time people have discussed the topic, these recent rumours come from a uniquely credible source; The Korean Rating Board. Just recently it was discovered that they have filed a new rating for the game which includes some interesting information. 

Quoting directly from Ben (@videotechx) on twitter; "The new rating for Red Dead Redemption includes a new expression for 'body damage', now what's even more weird the expression 'body damage' is only used in ratings for RDR2 and Doom titles." He also goes on to say "Red Dead Redemption 2's rating with body damage context added: "Excessive expression of blood and body damage during battle". 

This may be nothing after all, but we should keep our expectations low. This could be a simple hoax. Just keep your hopes down as possible. Rockstar is a very unpredictable company." 

Now not only do we have a new rating for the game which includes updated violence indicators that mirror the RDR2's rating, we also have this little piece of information here coming directly from Ben again; 

"It may appear that Rockstar have updated Red Dead Redemption (1) achievements on Social Club , amid to remaster/remake leak on the South Koran rating board..."

This information comes from twitter users @SpiderVice and @Nikhilmao, and the image shown in the tweet contains a comparison of the original trophy icon for the "A Savage Soul" trophy and the supposed updated version. 

Keep in mind, None of this evidence is concrete, but Rockstar have been known to keep things under wraps until the very last moment. 

After looking at this information my question is this; What will happen to the original version of Red Dead Redemption?

Granted you will still be able to play the single player game on PS3/Xbox via Disc, but Rockstar could shutdown the Multiplayer servers whenever they want, as was done to the GTA V servers for PS3.

Hopefully we get some more information in the coming days and weeks, but in the meantime I would try to clean up the online trophies for this game as soon as you can, and if you're thinking of starting this game soon you should try to complete all online trophies first before you start the single player. 

• Like 3

GTAV shut down its servers because they did a massive overhaul to the Rockstar Social Club and the PS3 version just wouldn't work anymore. Had nothing to do with new versions or low player base.

I don't think RDR1 is in any trouble. GTA4 would probably go first lol.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2023 at 2:23 PM, KingGuy420 said:

GTAV shut down its servers because they did a massive overhaul to the Rockstar Social Club and the PS3 version just wouldn't work anymore. Had nothing to do with new versions or low player base.

I don't think RDR1 is in any trouble. GTA4 would probably go first lol.

I always assumed that the reason RDR and GTAIV outlasted PS3 GTAV was either because there are still versions of GTAV Online that can be played after the PS3 shutdown whereas RDR and GTAIV only have the original version to play, or because of the age of the PS3 version and the general lack of support/stability of the game servers.

I wish I could share the same sentiment when it comes to the original game servers staying online *if* there are remakes of these games released, but I really can’t imagine Rockstar seeing any need to keep them up if  there is a more modern version that people can play, regardless of wether or not a re-release would have an online component. 

But for the sake of keeping RDR and GTAIV alive, I hope you are right! 

(Ubisoft and EA can be blamed for my pessimism. The old Battlefield games are being shutdown at the end of the year and well… Rest in Piece to the old Assassin’s Creed MP servers ?) 

On 01/07/2023 at 9:05 PM, HawgbreakerX said:

I waited a long time to start this on ps3 again holding out hope for a remaster now I’m almost done with the ps3 version. I’ll do it again on ps5 gladly I love this game so much. 

I would love a remaster of the game, mechanically I prefer the first game due to the general slog that is the most basic interactions in RDR2, I.e. opening all the drawers in a unit just to find a single gun oil in the last one you open ? 

That being said, while I find the first game superior in most aspects I would definitely love some updated systems, namely weapons/shooting, horses, map mechanics, and NPC A.I and interactions 

I’m still working my way through the PS3 version, I did the story a few years ago but never got round to doing the online. There was a great guide published here a while ago that sparked some enthusiasm in me to get it finished but I haven’t gotten around to finding a group to obtain all the trophies with, I will hopefully have finished it before the year is out though! ?

2 hours ago, JammyWizard said:

But for the sake of keeping RDR and GTAIV alive, I hope you are right! 

Rockstar have openly said that GTAV and Max Payne 3 would both still be online if Sony was still allowing devs to update ps3 games.

I mean, it's not like Max Payne 3 has another version.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...