Chronolith trials too hard on NG, but curiosities don't carry over to NG+ - what to do?

SublimeHawk

The last Curiosity requires you to complete all the Chronolith trials. The trials are unfortunately too hard for me even on Story difficulty. Powerpyx's trophy guide recommends having all Eikons maxed out before doing the Chronolith trials, but grinding AP on the first playthrough is a huge chore as you don't have access to the 40% AP accessory. You can only get the 20% AP accessory in NG. If I delay doing all the Chronoliths until NG+, I will have to do all the side quests and pretty much play through the whole game again, as Curiosities don't carry over to NG+. I was hoping to avoid that. Did everyone else do all the Chronoliths on the first playthrough or NG+? Do you just have to pick your poison as to which option is better?

Edited by SublimeHawk

19 minutes ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

You don't have to max your abilities. Just refund all your abilities except for the Eikon of the trial you're doing and then keep switching as you progress. You'll have max abilities for every trial you do without having to be actually maxed out. 

I only tried Titan once I thought it gives you the abilities maxed for the trial without needing to reset the tree... interesting!

They would be way harder on NG+. Remember, that's the hard mode playthrough. Are you level 50 and do you have the best equipment you can get? If so, then you've got to practice the trials over and over. If you're having trouble with pulling off certain abilities, you can practice them at the stone in the hideaway where there won't be a time limit.

Also, each trial already sets you up with the upgraded forms of each ability they give you, so no reason to grind ability points for the trials.

Personally, I only really had trouble with Bahamut and Odin's trials because I hadn't used their abilities very much other than Gigaflare. It's a matter of knowing how to use the abilities they give you to get the time bonuses so you have enough time to finish each trial.

Powerpyx guide also says to use the auto combat (expect for odin) and auto evade rings too. 

I tried doing it without and kept falling short by the boss. So I said screw it, put those bad boys on and I got through all 7 trials in about an hour and a half. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Profeelgood said:

Powerpyx guide also says to use the auto combat (expect for odin) and auto evade rings too. 

I tried doing it without and kept falling short by the boss. So I said screw it, put those bad boys on and I got through all 7 trials in about an hour and a half. 

As already mentioned here, you can just max out the esper skills of the trial you want to complete, wear the auto combat ring (in Odin trial, too!) and literally press square a couple thousand times to finish all trials on NG. 

• Like 1

I did all in NG. If you're using the Powerpyx guide, I recommend not using the auto combo ring. This completely ruined some attempts. It was impossible to do the Bahamut Chronolith, I ran out of time with the ring. I had six minutes to spare when I did it without it. Then I did all others without it as well. There was no specific strategy, I just used my abilities on cooldown, dodged incoming attacks, and spammed my regular attacks when I had no skills to use.

If you use the auto dodge ring, I can see it negatively affecting your Bahamut Chronolith (it won't do Megaflare dodges on every incoming attack, so charging it takes much longer), but all others should be fine. Still, at least to me, not using that ring made it easier and when I tried to use it, I just died. The ring rarely does precision dodges and frequently doesn't dodge at all even when I'm just standing still (or at least not using any moves that prevent dodging), but you yourself can do it consistently and get precision counters in.

Also, just refund your AP and learn/master the skills you need for the next Chronolith.

There's also shareplay on PS5 if you have Playstation+ (free trial works if you haven't used it yet) and can find someone who is willing to clear them for you.

Using the cheat rings completely defeats the purpose of the combat for me. Its just like it is with every game, practice and get better. its definetely far from being unbeatable although challenging, nowhere near the difficulty of plenty other games out there though.

• Like 1

On 07/07/2023 at 3:32 AM, ThatMuttGuy said:

You don't have to max your abilities. Just refund all your abilities except for the Eikon of the trial you're doing and then keep switching as you progress. You'll have max abilities for every trial you do without having to be actually maxed out. 

7 hours ago, viech54 said:

Also, just refund your AP and learn/master the skills you need for the next Chronolith.

The game is not stupid and gives you upgraded abilities for the trial. No need to reset anything.

I recommend to swap your rings each round to improve the cooldown time on the skills you have been given

Edited by Akrioz
  • Like 2

On 7/6/2023 at 7:56 PM, SublimeHawk said:

The last Curiosity requires you to complete all the Chronolith trials. The trials are unfortunately too hard for me even on Story difficulty. Powerpyx's trophy guide recommends having all Eikons maxed out before doing the Chronolith trials, but grinding AP on the first playthrough is a huge chore as you don't have access to the 40% AP accessory. You can only get the 20% AP accessory in NG. If I delay doing all the Chronoliths until NG+, I will have to do all the side quests and pretty much play through the whole game again, as Curiosities don't carry over to NG+. I was hoping to avoid that. Did everyone else do all the Chronoliths on the first playthrough or NG+? Do you just have to pick your poison as to which option is better?

I did 5/7 Trials yesterday. And I can say for sure now: YOU DO NOT NEED TO UPGRADE ANY ABILITY FOR THE TRIALS!

The trial will give you upgraded abilities even if you don't have it in you tree (can be confirmed on the ability screen before trial begins). It will also give you a mastered eikon special ability even if you didn't master it on your tree!

I only need to do Shiva and Odin now. The only one I had time trouble with is Garuda...(even though it's the only one I have been using from the start...)

On 08/07/2023 at 10:49 PM, oYazmat said:

I did 5/7 Trials yesterday. And I can say for sure now: YOU DO NOT NEED TO UPGRADE ANY ABILITY FOR THE TRIALS!

The trial will give you upgraded abilities even if you don't have it in you tree (can be confirmed on the ability screen before trial begins). It will also give you a mastered eikon special ability even if you didn't master it on your tree!

I only need to do Shiva and Odin now. The only one I had time trouble with is Garuda...(even though it's the only one I have been using from the start...)

For garuda use "deadly grip?" each time stagger bar is half.. it should add more than 10sec.. also try to kill more than 1 monster with each skill

7 hours ago, xIO3Y said:

The Odin one was personally the hardest, even with the rings. Took me a couple of tries and eventually finished the final stage with 20 secs left. 

I only timed out once with Garuda

With Odin I didn't have time problem but Health problem. Died once, cleared second try.

All the rest were easy (Like Boorish said with near end game gear it's not hard), you just need to get used to the abilities. But the easiest by far was Shiva... Diamond Dust is almost insta-stagger everything.

• 2 months later...

I did 6/7 trials last night on Action Focused difficulty. (Did the 7th one, Shiva earlier then the others.) Definitely wait till the end game for these and have Gotterdammerung, I was level 48. For accessories I used Genji Gloves for 5% damage increase, Badge of Mettle for 30% defense increase, and the timely ring that gives you an increased window to Dodge with R1 - I found manually dodging better than autododging. Beat almost all trials in one try with this setup with an average of near 2 minutes to spare for each trial.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 12:16 PM, da-Noob123 said:

I did 6/7 trials last night on Action Focused difficulty. (Did the 7th one, Shiva earlier then the others.) Definitely wait till the end game for these and have Gotterdammerung, I was level 48. For accessories I used Genji Gloves for 5% damage increase, Badge of Mettle for 30% defense increase, and the timely ring that gives you an increased window to Dodge with R1 - I found manually dodging better than autododging. Beat almost all trials in one try with this setup with an average of near 2 minutes to spare for each trial.

I agree with you on using the timely ring instead of auto dodge ring. It's more fun and engaging that way. With the auto-attack ring equipped had 2 minutes to spare for each trial by the end game. 

• 2 weeks later...