The Expanse trophy discussion

MidnightDragon

I don't remember hearing about this one, but probably have and forgot. Looks like you have to make sure to get everything to get the plat and some nice miscellaneous things. Big change from when most Telltale games in the past were just "complete the damn story".

5 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

I don't remember hearing about this one, but probably have and forgot. Looks like you have to make sure to get everything to get the plat and some nice miscellaneous things. Big change from when most Telltale games in the past were just "complete the damn story".

Yeah was just about to say… This is way different from Telltale games in the past, but i like it ? 1 question tho how long is it gonna take for everything to release? Cause i wan’t to play it all at once…

23 minutes ago, SaiyanSenshi said:

1 question tho how long is it gonna take for everything to release? Cause i wan’t to play it all at once…

episodes will launch every two weeks after Episode One launches on July 27th. There's also will be bonus episode as paid dlc, free in delux edition.
Edited by Destro_Anubis
  • Like 1

I think its because this is a collaboration with Deck Nine (LIS: BTS, LIS: True Colors) who have an emphasis on collectible trophies/achievements. There was also a moderate move towards misc. trophies with The Walking Dead: The Final Season, so I am not surprised. 

Personally looking forward to this but will probably wait to play the entire game front to back once it's all released in (presumably) September. 

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 3

That is what Telltale trophy lists looked like before The Walking Dead, so if anything, that is a return to form.

Earlier games like the Sam&Max titles or Jurassic Park had a bunch of missable or even performance-based trophies. When The Walking Dead became a huge success, the simple trophy list of that game was attributed to as part of the appeal so simpler lists got adopted for good (I think Back to the Future was the first one with progress trophies only, just before TWD).

Love the expanse, it's a fantastic show so I'm looking forward to this, but man do I hate a narrative game that has collectibles and missables. I want to be encouraged to just experience the story and that's it, not have to constantly be checking something else or have trophies on the back of my mind while playing the entire thing.

And I can't just ignore the trophies because I'm not not going to have a plat on my profile for a game based on a show I love haha.

Edited by BENJAM1N_LINUS
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BENJAM1N_LINUS said:

Love the expanse, it's a fantastic show so I'm looking forward to this, but man do I hate a narrative game that has collectibles and missables. I want to be encouraged to just experience the story and that's it, not have to constantly be checking something else or have trophies on the back of my mind while playing the entire thing.

And I can't just ignore the trophies because I'm not not going to have a plat on my profile for a game based on a show I love haha.

I agree with you. The games developed by Telltale Games were preferred due to their lack of reliance on guides. They only required you to complete the game. It reminded you of the simplicity before trophies were ever implemented as a feature.

• Like 2

First episode unfortunately is extremely short I explored a lot and still it only it took an hour and a half. Hopefully the next episodes are longer but as for a game it’s a good start and I’m glad TellTale is back. 

Edited by SzzMN

I would have thought this company who went bankrupt and was brought back from the dead would have learned their lesson and stop releasing episodic chapters every 2-3 weeks. I'm pretty sure no one wants to buy an incomplete game and the majority of us will wait until the final product is out. So my question is why not just wait 2-3 months and release it all at once? 

Hopefully it's good but I'll wait for a sale and a complete game. 

Edited by trojbrown40
spelling

2 minutes ago, trojbrown40 said:

I would have thought this company who went bankrupt and was brought back from the dead would have learned their lesson and stop releasing episodic chapters every 2-3 weeks. I'm pretty sure no one wants to buy an incomplete game and the majority of us will wait until the final product is out. So my question is why not just wait 2-3 months and release it all at once? 

It's based on The Expanse... so for realism and verisimilitude, they need to make it episodic, so it can be cancelled a few different times during the release schedule ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trojbrown40 said:

Exactly right. How have they not learned this lesson? I will never buy a Telltale game (or any game) until all "episodes" are available, by which time it's often possible to pick it up at a discount.

For context, not only have I played just about every TT game going back to Sam & Max on PC, but I've played nearly every STACK of every TT game on PS3, Vita, and PS4. I genuinely like the games. But I'm not going to pay up front for an unfinished product.

11 hours ago, trojbrown40 said:

Being episodic wasn’t the issue, it’s that they wouldn’t be consistent with episode releases, some would release monthly and others wouldn’t release until almost 6 months later. The Episodic format is cool when it’s consistent, like it is here.

11 hours ago, RNumbers said:

Exactly right. How have they not learned this lesson? I will never buy a Telltale game (or any game) until all "episodes" are available, by which time it's often possible to pick it up at a discount.

For context, not only have I played just about every TT game going back to Sam & Max on PC, but I've played nearly every STACK of every TT game on PS3, Vita, and PS4. I genuinely like the games. But I'm not going to pay up front for an unfinished product.

That wasn’t the lesson though, episodic games work great if you release the episodes consistently. You just don’t like them very much if you’re complaining about something so silly. This is a full product, they’re just releasing the episodes every 2 weeks. I’ve missed the telltale style of release honestly. 

Edited by DarkHpokinsn
  • Like 1

I think their main issue was that they licensed too many IPs at once, messing with their ability to release new episodes on time and leading to a reduction in quality. They basically began tripping over their own releases while desperately trying to repeat the one-off success of TWD. They spent so much on this strategy, without another hit, they were doomed.

Alas, no such hit ever came. They tried to catch lightning in a bottle twice and bet everything on it.

On 25.07.2023 at 8:33 AM, MidnightDragon said:

The final TWD game had a similar trophy list IIRC

• Like 2