Fox Rank Requirements

VereorChris

3 hours ago, Kessarath said:

Boys. One person already has the MGS Platinum. He is even a premium user of this forum @hugesawfan Maybe he will help?

PS: In his post, he confirmed the need to complete 300 VR missions.

Well I think others in this thread have already answered OP but yes, use of special items do not void MGS1's Fox / Big Boss rank. They only introduced that limitation starting with MGS2.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kessarath said:

@hugesawfan I have a question too. Are VR missions much easier than those in MGS2 or they also a kind of torment? Congratulations on Platinum!

Much much easier. The last 40 or so missions could have maybe 10 missions that give you some minor frustration but none of them will be as bad as MGS2's tough ones.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UlvenFenrir said:

Pretty sure special items will void the rank because the games are old and I'm sure people have tested it years ago when it came out originally.

If you look at the gamefaqs guide which was last updated 2002 it says no special items is allowed for big boss rank.

Didn't gamefaqs recommend leveling resistance alot in Dark Souls? 

1 hour ago, Esca said:

@hugesawfan what kind of roadmap did you follow ? I was thinking at something like this

- First playthough in Hard mode (keep 1 save before the torture)

- Reload your save for the 2nd special item (submit or not to the torture)

- Fox playthough with only 1 special item

I did one hard playthrough for stealth camo then doubled up my second playthrough to obtain bandana and Fox rank in the same run, although I used the torture room skip to do it. For the uninitiated who have heard about the well known glitch and are thinking about using it, the glitch actually softlocks the game so you cannot fight the Hind, but fortunately there is a glitch that allows you to skip the Hind fight. Basically performing the torture room glitch means you wont be able to use the Stinger Missile until you beat Sniper Wolf II, bit of a problem since in normal play you have to defeat the Hind (with the stinger) before you can fight Sniper Wolf II. I can write up a more detailed step by step guide if anyone plans on using it, it's a little convoluted but it'll mean the only bosses you have to fight are Wolf II, Raven, Rex and Liquid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hugesawfan said:

I did one hard playthrough for stealth camo then doubled up my second playthrough to obtain bandana and Fox rank in the same run, although I used the torture room skip to do it. For the uninitiated who have heard about the well known glitch and are thinking about using it, the glitch actually softlocks the game so you cannot fight the Hind, but fortunately there is a glitch that allows you to skip the Hind fight. Basically performing the torture room glitch means you wont be able to use the Stinger Missile until you beat Sniper Wolf II, bit of a problem since in normal play you have to defeat the Hind (with the stinger) before you can fight Sniper Wolf II. I can write up a more detailed step by step guide if anyone plans on using it, it's a little convoluted but it'll mean the only bosses you have to fight are Wolf II, Raven, Rex and Liquid.

You can skip Hind and Wolf II by using weapon glitch to bypass the door in the Communication Tower and on the snowfield to bypass Wolf II, the only boss you have to fight are Raven Rex and Liquid if you use every skip possible.

Edited by ryuzakix5

1 hour ago, ryuzakix5 said:

You can skip Hind and Wolf II by using weapon glitch to bypass the door in the Communication Tower and on the snowfield to bypass Wolf II, the only boss you have to fight are Raven Rex and Liquid if you use every skip possible.

True but for non-speedrunners who just want an easier time getting the fox trophy, I think the Wolf II skip would be an unnecessary complication for them to learn, especially since you can easily cheese her with no damage using the Nikita. For anyone looking for an easier time I would personally just recommend the torture room and Hind D skips as the bare minimum, they put you at such a huge time advantage you really have to go out of your way to not make the three hour limit. I didn't do the Tower A skip (Boba skip) but it'd be worth people checking out a video tutorial to see if it's something you want to try and replicate, although it only saves maybe five minutes.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

Well, it sounds more generous than MGS4's BBE. I can see MGS being a very rare platinum but I think MGS2 and MGS3 might be ultra rare unless they changed the requirements for the best ratings. As I recall, not only do they restrict use of special items, but the saves allowed is far fewer, and other requirements are equally more stringent. 

MGS2 only allows 8 saves while MGS3 allows 25. 

15 hours ago, Optinooby said:

They definitely tested those??

Its always hit and miss with exactly what speedrunners actually test, they are usually happy with glitching and bypassing half of a game, but using special items is usually a big no no strangely. And so they may have actually never tested special items with BB rank because of that, doesnt automatically mean they dont use only because they void it

Have you seen information confirmed from them that they have definitely tested Special Items on Big Boss, or just an assumption???

Is it also possible they don't use them because the speedrun doesnt allow them and the speedrunners themselves, also just follow the rest of the internet and say Special Items void Big Boss, but havent actually tested themselves. Just follow the rest of the net when asked???

Im hoping there is actually somebody who has literally actually done it themselves and has first-hand proof other than third-hand information if you know what i mean.

Sorry mate, i just want to be sure

At the stats screen upon completing the game a line says special items, if you used one or both it will say either "bandanna" or "stealth" or both, if you haven't used special items it will say "not used".

You can test it if you aren't convinced, get to the very last gameplay section and use any of those items, them see which codename you get. After that, reload your save and complete the game without equiping special items.

Edited by Deceptrox
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hugesawfan said:

True but for non-speedrunners who just want an easier time getting the fox trophy, I think the Wolf II skip would be an unnecessary complication for them to learn, especially since you can easily cheese her with no damage using the Nikita. For anyone looking for an easier time I would personally just recommend the torture room and Hind D skips as the bare minimum, they put you at such a huge time advantage you really have to go out of your way to not make the three hour limit. I didn't do the Tower A skip (Boba skip) but it'd be worth people checking out a video tutorial to see if it's something you want to try and replicate, although it only saves maybe five minutes.

Id appreciate a write up on this, even a video if you could link one someone has from youtube.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VereorChris said:

Id appreciate a write up on this, even a video if you could link one someone has from youtube.

I've created a separate thread you could use as a guide. But the Japanese version has recently become available to download, so using that you can get the Fox rank on easy, so you might feel confident enough to not even bother glitching.

^Very cool and congrats on the BB rank. Can I ask about the 23 kills? How many soldiers did Meryl kill when you first bust her out of the cell? How many of your kills were from this part, and how many were from other parts?

Also maybe I need to check a speedrun guide but what's the strat for the endless staircase run up?

50 minutes ago, Daddokenshiro said:

Somebody can confirm that the Japanese version works for trophies? So using that you can get the Fox rank on easy?

Thanks

Yes it works, I got it that way, also only the 300 vr missions from the special missions/ vr missions count. You don't have to complete the ones that are in the main game.

Edited by athanasios_osfp
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Daddokenshiro said:

Somebody can confirm that the Japanese version works for trophies? So using that you can get the Fox rank on easy?

Thanks

When you say Japanese version which do you mean. 

Metal Gear Solid Integral or using the Japanese language pack on the original?

Ah this I was unsure of because I remember when they released RE Village VR dlc earlier this year you couldn't get a single trophy using it. So this confirms that if you use the Japanese version as an exploit this platinum can be actually made easy.

19 minutes ago, JordSkiggs said:

When you say Japanese version which do you mean. 

Metal Gear Solid Integral or using the Japanese language pack on the original?

It is the japanese language pack, not intergral you will know it is the correct one since you can't choose difficulty and the language and subs are in japanese.

edit:proof and stealth was just unlocked. It is easy to do it first time if you know the game.

Edited by athanasios_osfp
proof
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, athanasios_osfp said:

It is the japanese language pack, not intergral you will know it is the correct one since you can't choose difficulty and the language and subs are in japanese.

edit:proof and stealth was just unlocked. It is easy to do it first time if you know the game.

You're a legend, thanks for this and providing the video. Much appreciated!

Edited by JordSkiggs
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, athanasios_osfp said:

So, i can follow My personal roadmap to obtain the Platinum:

1. First game on normal, only to enjoy the game in my language (italian).

In this game i Will unlock the stealth Camo.

2. Second game, I download the Japanese package first, and play the entire story to unlock the bandana.

3. Last game, I follow these requirements for the Fox grade, using bandana:

5 Alerts or less

25 Kills (not counting bosses) or less
Used up to 1 ration
No continues
Saved 80 or less time

Under 3 Hours 

Radar off (?)

4. 300 missions in VR

Is It right? Thanks a lot 😊😊😊

For Metal Gear Solid 1 below should help he was the first achiever of the Platinum has a bunch of information about what is needed.

Keep in mind the kills DO INCLUDE THE BOSSES they always have included bosses (since non-lethal methods were introduced later in series)

Honestly I would recommend not using the Japanese method if you're intending to do the rest of the games this is good training for the rest of the games which are definitely harder than this one and you MUST get Big Boss in them Fox isn't applicable outside of MGS1

MGS1 - 6-8/10 difficulty depending on your background and skill with the franchise

MGS2 - 10/10 difficulty due to Big Boss very tight requirements

MGS3 - 8-9/10 difficulty again due to Big Boss requirements

If you take the easy way out you are fooling yourself for the rest of the games. And keep in mind above difficulties are based off normal every day gamers NOT directed towards Vets of the franchise who would certainly disagree with these numbers.