Fox Rank Requirements

VereorChris

1 hour ago, ryuzakix5 said:

You can use Bandana or Stealth Camo to get Big Boss/Fox, but you have to finish the game on that difficulty first. Though this is the only game that allows you to use Special Items, in MGS2 and MGS3 you can't use special items to get Big Boss or FOXHOUND.

why you cant use special items in MGS2 and 3 for BigBoss and Foxhound?

Well, it sounds more generous than MGS4's BBE. I can see MGS being a very rare platinum but I think MGS2 and MGS3 might be ultra rare unless they changed the requirements for the best ratings. As I recall, not only do they restrict use of special items, but the saves allowed is far fewer, and other requirements are equally more stringent. 

15 minutes ago, ryuzakix5 said:

Because that's a requirement to get Big Boss Rank or FOXHOUND Rank, "No Special Items"

Where is the mention of this Officially anyhow??? I've found the official mention of the MGS1 ranking requirements, but only briefly on MGS2 and special items are not mentioned. Do you know if it was mentioned on that official MGS2 rank website which has since been taken down?

Just so many assumptions are made at times with videogame guide info, that i'm not 100% confident that absolutely all info back then isnt without assumptions or slight errors

6 hours ago, VereorChris said:

5 Alerts or less
25 Kills (not counting bosses) or less
Used up to 1 ration
No continues
Saved 80 or less time

Under 3 Hours

But can you use the Bandana and Cloak Device to obtain this?

I think Saved 80 or less is not a real requirement, I mean it isn't even really a penalty XD

I'm going to test it anyway once I get into the game, but I think its an assumption that was made way back just because one of the lower ranks is for saving 80 times or more, so whoever assumed the best rank is for saving 80 times or less.

Thing is there is a rank for completing the game in under 2 hours 30, and the Fox rank is under 3 hours, so why wasn't that assumption made as well following the same logic.

Doesn't really matter, because 80 saves lol, more just an info accuracy thing for myself

Edited by Optinooby

9 minutes ago, da-Noob123 said:

Well, it sounds more generous than MGS4's BBE. I can see MGS being a very rare platinum but I think MGS2 and MGS3 might be ultra rare unless they changed the requirements for the best ratings. As I recall, not only do they restrict use of special items, but the saves allowed is far fewer, and other requirements are equally more stringent. 

Also I just found out that you can play the Japanese version of MGS1, so you can get the Fox rank on Easy difficulty. That's gonna be rare for the VR Missions though

You can definetely save more than 200 times and stil get the BB Rank but saving wastes time.

7 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

I think Saved 80 or less is not a real requirement, I mean it isn't even really a penalty XD

I'm going to test it anyway once I get into the game, but I think its an assumption that was made way back just because one of the lower ranks is for saving 80 times or more, so whoever assumed the best rank is for saving 80 times or less.

Thing is there is a rank for completing the game in under 2 hours 30, and the Fox rank is under 3 hours, so why wasn't that assumption made as well following the same logic.

Doesn't really matter, because 80 saves lol, more just an info accuracy thing for myself

Edited by ryuzakix5

9 minutes ago, ryuzakix5 said:

Also I just found out that you can play the Japanese version of MGS1, so you can get the Fox rank on the Easy difficulty. That's gonna be rare for the VR Missions though

It's gonna be an almost free platinum then... I am bit disappointed if this works.

24 minutes ago, ryuzakix5 said:

You can definetely save more than 200 times and stil get the BB Rank but saving wastes time.

So it is an assumption, thanks XD.

I somehow feel I need to check the requirements for the top ranks in all the other games as well. Im sure most requirements are true, im thinking more about the bigger variables like No Special Items.

24 minutes ago, ryuzakix5 said:

Also I just found out that you can play the Japanese version of MGS1, so you can get the Fox rank on Easy difficulty.

Good to know, thanks ;)

I'm personally not sure if I can play a dialogue heavy game in a language I don't understand. I'm planning to do all Campaign trophies in 1 playthrough + Save Upload for Endings anyhow, you know the Japanese version could make all in 1 mega easy

Edited by Optinooby

1 hour ago, Optinooby said:

So it is an assumption, thanks XD.

I somehow feel I need to check the requirements for the top ranks in all the other games as well. Im sure most requirements are true, im thinking more about the bigger variables like No Special Items.

Good to know, thanks ;)

I'm personally not sure if I can play a dialogue heavy game in a language I don't understand. I'm planning to do all Campaign trophies in 1 playthrough + Save Upload for Endings anyhow, you know the Japanese version could make all in 1 mega easy

The choice which decides which ending you get is about 2/3 through the game, so at the very least an additional partial playthrough will be required.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Optinooby said:

You cannot, for sure, get Big Boss Rank on MGS2 and MGS3 with Special Items, that's definetely tested. There were thousands of speedrunners that run the game for 10 years and are still running and testing.

16 minutes ago, ryuzakix5 said:

You cannot, for sure, get Big Boss Rank on MGS2 and MGS3 with Special Items, that's definetely tested. There were thousands of speedrunners that run the game for 10 years and are still running and testing.

They definitely tested those??

Its always hit and miss with exactly what speedrunners actually test, they are usually happy with glitching and bypassing half of a game, but using special items is usually a big no no strangely. And so they may have actually never tested special items with BB rank because of that, doesnt automatically mean they dont use only because they void it

Have you seen information confirmed from them that they have definitely tested Special Items on Big Boss, or just an assumption???

Is it also possible they don't use them because the speedrun doesnt allow them and the speedrunners themselves, also just follow the rest of the internet and say Special Items void Big Boss, but havent actually tested themselves. Just follow the rest of the net when asked???

Im hoping there is actually somebody who has literally actually done it themselves and has first-hand proof other than third-hand information if you know what i mean.

Sorry mate, i just want to be sure

Edited by Optinooby

8 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Its always hit and miss with exactly what speedrunners actually test, they are usually happy with glitching and bypassing half of a game, but using special items is usually a big no no strangely. And so they may have actually never tested special items with BB rank because of that, doesnt automatically mean they dont use only because they void it

Have you seen information confirmed from them that they have definitely tested, or just an assumption???

I'm pretty sure as I do play MGS1-2-3 myself since 1997 too. You cannot use Special Items to get Big Boss or FOXHOUND ranks, but you can try if you want, nobody is stopping you from trying that ahahah.

Edited by ryuzakix5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ryuzakix5 said:

I'm pretty sure as I do play MGS1-2-3 since 1997 too. You cannot use Special Items to get Big Boss or FOXHOUND ranks, but you can try if you want, nobody is stopping you ahahah.

I will mate thanks, not to say you're wrong or anything, it's just unless there is first-hand information for something like this which could be mega helpful, I just need to be 110% sure.

Hopefully before I get to MGS2, I can find some comments from somebody who has actually tested it and has first-hand knowledge.

A lot of times like this, yes I end up wasting my time XD, but there have been a few instances where the info on the net has actually been wrong!

12 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Have you seen information confirmed from them that they have definitely tested Special Items on Big Boss, or just an assumption???

Is it also possible they don't use them because the speedrun doesnt allow them and the speedrunners themselves, also just follow the rest of the internet and say Special Items void Big Boss, but havent actually tested themselves. Just follow the rest of the net when asked???

Im hoping there is actually somebody who has literally actually done it themselves and has first-hand proof other than third-hand information if you know what i mean.

Pretty sure special items will void the rank because the games are old and I'm sure people have tested it years ago when it came out originally.

If you look at the gamefaqs guide which was last updated 2002 it says no special items is allowed for big boss rank.

11 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

Pretty sure special items will void the rank because the games are old and I'm sure people have tested it years ago when it came out originally.

If you look at the gamefaqs guide which was last updated 2002 it says no special items is allowed for big boss rank.

You would think so, but without any first-hand confirmation, if this could save players hours and make it much easier, as a Guide Writer, I have to be sure. It's only my time lost, not yours if the info on the net holds true ;)

Players deserve for this to be checked

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

These are 20 years old games, people know exactly what has to be done. Actually, you won't get either Hound, Doberman, Fox or Big Boss if you use special items.

Edited by ryuzakix5

7 minutes ago, ryuzakix5 said:

These are 20 years old games, people knows exactly what has to be done. Actually, you won't get get either Hound, Doberman, Fox or Big Boss if you use special items.

Though 99% of guides say a requirement for Fox and Big Boss in MGS is 80 saves or less, but you mentioned further up that you can definitely save over 200 times and still get those ranks?

So already something every1 has got wrong on a 20 year old game which you have first-hand confirmation off?

Edited by Optinooby

15 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Yeah but the Trophy description doesn't stipulate "can't use special items" so I'd imagine you still can. 

You won't get Big Boss Rank if you use Special Items, why would they write this on the description if this is a requirement for getting Big Boss in the Original Game? We're talking about MGS2 and 3, in MGS1 you can use them btw.

Just test it by yourself and meet the requirements for the Tanker-Plant Big Boss rank using Bandana/Stealth Camo/any wig, you will get the Eagle Rank.

Saves for MGS1 might be 300, but I don't think saving more than 100 times will net you a sub 3 hour run without using glitches to skip the whole game.

39 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Though 99% of guides say a requirement for Fox and Big Boss in MGS is 80 saves or less, but you mentioned further up that you can definitely save over 200 times and still get those ranks?

So already something every1 has got wrong on a 20 year old game which you have first-hand confirmation off?

Edited by ryuzakix5
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

You would think so, but without any first-hand confirmation, if this could save players hours and make it much easier, as a Guide Writer, I have to be sure. It's only my time lost, not yours if the info on the net holds true ;)

Players deserve for this to be checked

But mgs isn't some obscure series of games that no one has never heard of. 

If I'm not mistaken the end results screen for mgs2 and 3 even has its own category for wether or not you used special items which would indicate that using special items would affect your rank.

You can test it if you want, it's your time and but I'm almost 100% sure that it will be pointless because everyone says that the use of special items will void the big boss rank.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Where is the mention of this Officially anyhow??? I've found the official mention of the MGS1 ranking requirements, but only briefly on MGS2 and special items are not mentioned. Do you know if it was mentioned on that official MGS2 rank website which has since been taken down?

Just so many assumptions are made at times with videogame guide info, that i'm not 100% confident that absolutely all info back then isnt without assumptions or slight errors

Looking forward to you showing me how to easily do it lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UlvenFenrir said:

But mgs isn't some obscure series of games that no one has never heard of. 

If I'm not mistaken the end results screen for mgs2 and 3 even has its own category for wether or not you used special items which would indicate that using special items would affect your rank.

You can test it if you want, it's your time and but I'm almost 100% sure that it will be pointless because everyone says that the use of special items will void the big boss rank.

I was thinking that, and it gives a reason as to why it may not count. Because the Special Items have there own category, it may not affect the actual ranking itself, but just taints the rank if you know what I mean, which is why speedrunners perhaps havent used Special Items.

You know, you got Big Boss rank BUT YOU USED SPECIAL ITEMS, not good for players mythical e-peen or whatever ya wanna call it.

As mentioned earlier, everywhere says MGS Fox/BigBoss is 80 saves or less, but its incorrect apparently from somebody with first-hand confirmation here.......so makes you wonder, what else is an assumption, or plagiarism or whatever.

You know, I think plagiarism may have been even worse back then. We see it now and I think we always will, though nowadays you can usually find posts or comments around that will disclaim incorrect information in guides, unofficial wikis and what not, though back then, there wasnt a massive community presence compared to now so plagiarism was perhaps unnoticed mostly.

I dunno, just talking out loud, sure doesn't hurt anybody except for myself and I don't mind as its potentially for a good cause if successful ;)

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 2