World Cup 2014

Connie

No you are not crazy and yes I am Dutch

Just because Robben is a fraud doesn't mean the whole team consists of cheaters. Besides the ref should have given a penalty in the first half so I'd say things evened things out

The one where he, funnily enough, said he dived (ignoring the one where he did dive)? Yeah, talk abuot fairness :P.

If only Holland could have kept it 1-0 and parked the proverbial bus in front of goal, I would have been a very happy man tonight.

Luis Van Gaal and Arjen Robben are right about one thing though, exactly what is the point of having a third place match for? In all honesty in years to come no one remembers and cares about a third place finish in a World Cup, completely pointless in my opinion.

I just found out tonight that they actually hand out Bronze medals to the players in the team who win that match :blink:. I had previously thought it was just a title given to the team.

Your joking, right? This ain't the Olympics where talking about here, what's the World Cup coming to?

Your joking, right? This ain't the Olympics where talking about here, what's the World Cup coming to?

You both are joking, right? They've been giving medals for decades. If I'm not mistaken, the first time they were going to give medals was in Brazil, too (except those got trashed - I'm sure we all know why). Either way, it's been part of the World Cup since before any of us were born. That said, only South Korea has been given a fourth-place medal - the one they got to earn because they had FIFA backstab like 3 countries during the Cup in their favor.

Luis Van Gaal and Arjen Robben are right about one thing though, exactly what is the point of having a third place match for? In all honesty in years to come no one remembers and cares about a third place finish in a World Cup, completely pointless in my opinion.

Nah, they're just sore losers. A third place match is something that I'm always up to, since all the third place matches I've seen in my life have been entertaining and very open play-wise, which leads to the teams playing better football and the matches themselves being what they always should: fun. Today's been a bit of an exception due to Brazil's need to do something after that humilation, but it was still an entertaining match (for sure better than half the matches played throughout the Cup, especially the Netherlands - Argentina semi-final lol).

It's a good way to recognize the sport for what it is, plus it lets the other two semi-finalists end the Cup on a better note and give their respective countries a bit of enjoyment through good football. The best example of that is Italy in 1990, you could tell being at the stadium was the same as being at a party - they weren't butthurt nor mad, just having fun watching their team - same for England's supporters.

You both are joking, right? They've been giving medals for decades. If I'm not mistaken, the first time they were going to give medals was in Brazil, too (except those got trashed - I'm sure we all know why). Either way, it's been part of the World Cup since before any of us were born. That said, only South Korea has been given a fourth-place medal - the one they got to earn because they had FIFA backstab like 3 countries during the Cup in their favor.

That is news to me, I always knew the winners received a medal each with the trophy but winning a bronze medal for coming third in a tournament is something of a grey area to me.

That is news to me, I always knew the winners received a medal each with the trophy but winning a bronze medal for coming third in a tournament is something of a grey area to me.

Checked Wikipedia out of curiosity, and found the following:

"Before the 1978 tournament, medals were only awarded to the eleven players on the pitch at the end of the final and the third-place match."

Seems those teams that finish third have always been awarded a medal - whereas those that finished second didn't :lol: . At least FIFA awarded medals retroactively at a later day :P.

Checked Wikipedia out of curiosity, and found the following:

"Before the 1978 tournament, medals were only awarded to the eleven players on the pitch at the end of the final and the third-place match."

Seems those teams that finish third have always been awarded a medal - whereas those that finished second didn't :lol: . At least FIFA awarded medals retroactively at a later day :P.

I'm pretty sure the runners-up would have received silver medals. It just isn't worded great on Wikipedia as it should say the eleven players of each team on the pitch at the end of the final and of the winning team in the third-place match.

I'm pretty sure the runners-up would have received silver medals. It just isn't worded great on Wikipedia as it should say the eleven players of each team on the pitch at the end of the final and of the winning team in the third-place match.

That's probably true, but we honestly won't know for sure without doing a bit of research (which I can't be arsed to do) haha.

Brazil haven't even reached par level this tournament. David Luiz is in the top 3 worst players of the tournament and even with Silva & Neymar, Holland still would of beaten them.

My guess is Germany to win, they don't need to rely on 1 player (Neymar) and have a complete squad, organised, and the form is unmatchable this tournament. 

Oh God, I just realized that i managed to remain 1st throughout the whole knockout stages, and there's a chance I'll lose it tonight in the last match. That would be the definition of "unlucky". God help me tonight :P

2 words: shit happens.

70iauf.jpg

Had to share this :D i also started singing this song in my head now xD

Should have been a penalty though. What a stupid decision by the ref to give the foul to Germany

Yeah, definitely a strange decision from the ref. I know goalkeepers get too much protection from the referees but that was a bit much.