Your 5 favorite games of 2023?

No longer here

Great Gosh the list of games I've been wanting to play but not being able to is long. Quickly here's games that would probably end up in my top 5, but I haven't played: Balders gate 3, Octopath traveller 2, Resident evil 4, Goodbye volcano high, Nour play with your food, Talos Principle 2, Viewfinder, Tears of the Kingdom, Mario Wonder, Oxenfree 2, Persona 5 tactica, Coffee talk 2, Inescapable and Assassin's creed mirage.

Anyway, here's my top 5:

5) Harmony: Fall of Reverie

Harmony: The Fall of Reverie

A visual novel where the branching paths are presented to you, but getting to the path you want isn't as easy where your own morals may unwittingly block your route.

4) Road 96 Mile 0

Road96 Road96mile0 GIF - Road96 Road96Mile0 RoadKaito - Descubre y comparte  GIF

A look at the lives of two teens as they approach the turning points of their lives in politically trying times, as they challenge each others beliefs during catchy tunes.

3) Killer Frequency

Killer Frequency Peggy GIF - Killer frequency Killer Frequency - Discover &  Share GIFs

A slasher themed escape the room game that reminds me heavily of Firewatch. Act as a 911 operator to save as many horror movie victims as possible.

2) Marvel's Spider-Man 2

Spiderman 2 Spiderman GIFs | Tenor

My token effort to look like a normal game player. But it really is a well designed game, with a well told story. Made to be as engaging as possible, and it is.

1) Humanity

Humanity available Day 1 as a PlayStation Plus Game Catalog title, out May  16 – PlayStation.Blog

An engaging puzzle game that somehow manages to seamlessly shift into another genre. Without spoiling, you really should get to the end just to see what it ends up as.

Edited by Breakingthegreen
  • Like 1

I've only played 1 new game this year, but bought Tears of the Kingdom and Hogwarts Legacy.

Octopath Travelers 2 is easily my favorite JRPG, and dare I say it, my favorite game OF ALL TIME. It reminds me of the time when I first was introduced to Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. I had that same excited feeling. There are so many good things about OT2. Great characters, amazing voice actors, a soundtrack you can bop your head to, cool battle system, and a great variety of enemies.

• Like 1

Definitely 'Humanity', by far #1 this year

Because it's the only game released in 2023 that I played, I really liked the game though, the moment I heard it's a puzzler it was an insta-play for me

Other than that, I've also played Returnal, Stray & Farpoint, which were an absolute pleasure to play

Most games I have played were not released this year, but for the ones that were released:

1. Persona 3 Portable: I like persona series and this was my first time at P3, I only watched the movies and played the dancing game so I really enjoyed this game, despite the dated visuals and mechanics. The story and characters were great, the platinum was very long and grindy but I still enjoyed it. 

The rest of these are games i played this year but not released this year, as I spent most of the time playing extra catalog games. 

3 and 2:: Ys 8 and Ys 9: I played this from the catalog and loved both. I got into the Ys series from this and plan on getting Ys 10 this christmas as well. I preferred Ys 9 for the darker tones and the gameplay/battle system, but 8 had amazing exploration and characters too. I wish I knew about this series sooner, looking at how many games that were released on much older platforms. 

4. Dragon Ball Z Kakarot: Another catalog title, but DBZ was one of the first anime I was addicted two like 2 decades ago, and this was a very nostalgic title. I was surprised at how much of the story and characters I actually remembered despite it being so long. Also I played the japanese version, so it was pretty cool to see how different the voices and characters were.

5. Ace Attorney trilogy: This was super interesting. I was skeptical at first as it was a remaster from a DS game and the visuals looked pretty crap, but it ended up being well above my expectations, each case was pulled me in, I enjoyed the court room battles and it made me excited for the remaster of 456 coming out next January. I preferred this one over the Great Ace attorney chronicles, as I found the cases and characters more interesting, plus three games in one was great value, especially as I actually got this in an 80% off sale

In no particular order (yet):

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom [Switch]

Final Fantasy XVI [PS5]

Spider-Man 2 [PS5]

Resident Evil 4 [PS4/ PS5]

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor [PS5]

Honorable MentionsHi-Fi Rush [Xbox Series/ PC], Dead Space [PS5], Octopath Traveler II [PS4/ PS5/ Switch]

5. Weird West - Just a...very different experience than the norm. Far from perfect, but more of this would be nice.

4. Kirby and the Forgotten Land - I just had a total blast with this, and seriously want more Kirby in this style. 

3. Kena: Bridge of Spirits - Absolute breath of fresh air. It has a familiar feel to it, and it can be challenging at times. But it still managed to feel like something completely different from what we've grown accustomed to. 

2. God of War: Ragnarok - Fantastic follow up to the 2018 game. 

1. Hogwarts Legacy - My personal GOTY...and I feel like it was snubbed for being a contender (even if it wasn't going to win). You can tell this was a game made by people who love the source material. The attention to detail was insane, the gameplay never got old, and even if the collectibles became a bit much by the end. This was a game I didn't even want to end when it did. 

• 4 weeks later...

I haven’t played most of the games that were actually in the discussion for GOTY since I generally only jump on one or two brand new AAA releases per year. Of the games I’ve played though, it’s currently:

1. Theatrhythm: Final Bar Line

2. Sea of Stars

3. Final Fantasy XVI

4. Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Collection

5. My Hero Ultra Rumble

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My top 5 favorite PS5 games played in 2023:

1. Returnal

2. Death Stranding Director's Cut

3. God of War: Ragnarok

4. Pistol Whip