Your 5 favorite games of 2023?

No longer here

Jedi Survivor 🏆

Hogwarts Legacy

Spiderman 2

Remnant 2

Phantom Liberty is an expansion, so it doesn't count.

I can't believe that's all I've bought from 2023.  Still wanna get Mirage, Lies of P and a few others when the prices are lower.

Edited by Fr_0zt
  • Like 2

5) Final Fantasy XVI: There's not much to say about this game that hasn't already been said. The combat wasn't the best, but the main story was excellent. Lately, I feel like storytelling in video games has been laughably bad. It was refreshing to play a AAA title like Final Fantasy XVI and want to know what happens next. That type of experience is becoming rarer and rarer for me these days.

4) Resident Evil 4: The gold standard for remakes. Capcom took a game that everyone loved and somehow made a remake that hit all the familiar gameplay notes while still being unique.

3) Disgaea 7: After the dumpster fire that was Disgaea 6, it's good to see the devs pump the brakes and reverse some of their shitty ideas. Worth playing for anyone who enjoyed any of the previous installments.

2) Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - Reunion: Holy hell, this game was amazing. I never owned a PSP, so I never had a chance to play this, but it became clear pretty quickly that I had been missing out all this time.

1) Bomb Rush Cyberfunk: I adored Jet Set Radio Future, and this is the best spiritual successor anyone could ask for. This will be a game I come back to regularly over the coming years, 10/10. 

Honorable mentions: Rogue Legacy 2, We Love Katamari Reroll+ Royal Reverie, Dredge

• Like 4

I'll start off by listing the 2023 releases that I've played, mostly for my own benefit:

Spoiler
  • Coffee Talk Episode 2: Hibiscus and Butterfly
  • Jusant
  • The Talos Principle II
  • Frog Detective: The Entire Mystery
  • Mail Time
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2
  • Cocoon
  • Viewfinder
  • Humanity
  • Chants of Sennaar
  • Sea of Stars
  • Venba
  • A Space for the Unbound
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Afterimage
  • Tchia
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Backfirewall_

Also a bit of Pseudoregalia on my Steam Deck and Mario Wonder on Switch, though not enough of either to justify including them in the discussion. I felt like I was staying on top of new releases much more closely than I have in the past, but it's funny looking at the list and seeing just how many of the games I planned to get into at launch have fallen by the wayside: Octopath Traveler 2, Jedi Survivor, Lies of P, Star Ocean 2 remake, and so on.

So, of those, my top 3 feel pretty set in stone:

La2dc00.pngLaeaabc.pngL51babe.png

Beyond those it gets tougher to feel strongly about ranking. Fourth place I'd probably end up giving to Hogwarts Legacy (as much as I might like not to), and fifth I'd be fine giving to any of Tchia, Afterimage, Chants of Sennaar, or Spider-Man 2.

• Like 2

1 - Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

2 - Diablo IV

3 - Hogwarts Legacy

4 - Dead Space

5 - Horizon Call of the Mountain

AC VI was my first Mech game and I had a lot of fun with it. The more I played and experimented, the more I loved it. Only reason I didn't play more was because of all the releases this year, plus some backlog. Diablo IV was close but some of the updates messed it up for a while, it's in a pretty good state right now tho.

• Like 1

Obviously I’m a big horror nerd and it’s been a great year so far. My favorite has to be TCM. 3 killers vs 4 victims. It just works and they nailed the balance. Every match & strategy is different but don’t recommend playing with randoms and no mic. New map and 2 new characters drop this Tuesday. 

1) Texas Chainsaw Massacre

2) Dead Space Remake

3) Resident Evil 4

4) Alan Wake 2

5) Star Wars Jedi Survivor

Honorable mention 

1) Spider-Man 2

2) Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty Dlc

3) Fort Solis

Can’t wait to dive into Remnant 2 one of these days

Edited by trojbrown40
Adds
  • Like 1

Excellent topic @victorrfuego

Since I've not played a lot of 2023 games,  I'll list the ones I've played this year.

1 - Spiderman 2

What can I say that hasn't already been discussed about this brilliant game which elevated everything done so well in 2018's Spiderman. Better combat, more gadgets, better looking, more time to play as Miles, an amazing story and the best Venom mechanics ever in a video game - Bliss! Just a few pacing and plot issues hold it back from perfection a solid 9/10 for me. 

2 - Elden Ring

A truly masterpiece when it comes to content and lore. The largest From Soft game ever and while it is phenomenal I personally am more a fan of Bloodbornes setting/lore and since I've played Sekiro that is my ultimate playstyle and From soft game ever. Heck I even consider Sekiro to easily be in the top 5 video games of all time!

3 - Street Fighter 6

I am a Tekken die hard fan for life and cannot wait for Tekken 8 but the revolutionary mechanics and overall finesse and quality that Capcom delivered with Street Fighter 6 is just undeniable and praise worthy. Currently in my opinion SF6 is the complete package when it comes to a fighting game. Me not being that good at it is another story but kudos to what a perfect Fighting game it is. 

4 - Days Gone 

I know I'm so late to the party but boy am I glad I finally played this game. From hearing the backlash when this game initially came out to having it in my never ending backlog, Days Gone was a sublime yet exhilarating experience I had in 2023. Not being overtly a fan of zombie games as I've grown older ( dunno what's wrong with me ) but the reason I love Playstation is for it's strong first party narrative and story driven games. Days gone while open world to n extent had the linearity when I wanted it to be, as initially I only it ended to finish the story and move on but I got so invested in it's world that I decided to platinum it. 

I truly wonderful game that deserves all the praise it gets from Gamers. 

5 - Marvels Guardians Of The Galaxy 

An absolute jou from start to finish. The writing and dialogues are truly witty and fun. The banter between the guardians is perfectly encapsulated by the developers as it ended in the MCU and comics, but above all the story for me was the highlight. This underappreciated gem is a must play for all in my opinion. 

Here are a few honorary mentions:

*Robocop Rogue City - playing through it right now and I can't explain how much I'm enjoying it, it's a perfect storm if the 80s/90s Detroit crime filled dark streets the action movies depicted. Especially as a robocop fan you MUST play the game it's sarcastic, dry, funny, runs in Unreal 5, clunky as you'd expect Robo to be. 

* The Artful Escape - Beautiful Indie and rhythm game with stunning visuals. 

• Like 3

What a fabulous year for games, 2023 was! I mainly game across playstation and switch, so I was lucky to be able to play a lot of big releases this year (for once lol)...

5. Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty: Although I didn't find it nearly as complex and refined as the Nioh series, I still greatly enjoyed Team Ninja's newest addition to the "souls-like" genre. Shorter and a but experimental, I felt similar about Wo Long as I did Stranger of Paradise, in that I wasn't thrilled about how much the game felt like a "Nioh-lite", where so many assets, UI elements, and mechanics were cribbed from Nioh to create a different game. I truly hope Team Ninja's is moving on with Rise of the Ronin and is creating a game that is more distinct.

4. Super Mario Wonder: I love 2D Mario. Nintendo delivered the best 2D Mario since Mario 3. Therefore, I am thrilled. Wowie-Zowie! 

3. Final Fantasy 16 / Octopath Traveler II (TIE): You know, Square Enix has been getting so much flack for decades now for the directions they've taken with their big IPs, but I think people really need to dig into their smaller releases instead of complaining about the direction their blockbuster titles take. The fact that this company managed to put out both a highly polished, novel, and gripping entry in the Final Fantasy series while ALSO making a game that captures everything I love about the company's classic franchises in Octopath Traveler II meant that Square Enix had me fully satisfied as a lover of JRPGs across all eras of the genre.

2. Wild Hearts: I'm so sad support ended for this game since it didn't seem to do particularly well (likely thanks to the abysmal PC version), but I ADORED Wild Hearts. Much like the "souls-like" genre, I have started to become far more interested in different developers' takes on a genre long-dominated by a single company. While MH is absolutely polished and the king of the genre for a good reason, there are no surprises in these games because of the way Capcom iterates with each release: each MH fundamentally "feels" identical, whereas Wild Hearts burst in with a wildly different mechanical and aesthetic take on the genre. I honestly found that, in one game, Wild Hearts established a far more interesting world, narrative, and cast compared to the entire MH franchise. While Wild Hearts had a lot of jank, it also had so many exciting new ideas and a really strong identity that stood out.

1. Lies P (GOTY): Holy heck, what a surprise this one was. As someone who has been horribly burnt out on FromSoftware's games (Dark Souls III was the last game from them I enjoyed), having a newcomer on the scene that, in my opinion, absolutely eclipses the games that inspired it was such a wonderful experience. Can't wait for whatever this dev puts out next.

• Like 3