I'm addicted, suggest a roguelite 2023

Shorah-

Alright guys, i need your advices. I feel like i'm addicted to the roguelite genre and i really want to play more of those games. 

The question is which one to pick first.

My own tier list of what i've played (to be updated): 

S-

Slay the Spire (top 10 best game ever played. I can understand that trophies are a bit too difficult for some people and ruin the pleasure.)

Darkest Dungeon (I'll finish the plat one day)

A-

Returnal (amazing game, fast and fun to play, but too easy and not enough depth in terms of roguelite mechanics. Easy trophies.)

Hades (very good game but after like 30 runs felt pretty repetitive. Trophies are long but easy enough for anyone. ) 

B-

Vampire Survivors (the most boring but addictive game)

C- 

Endless dungeon (definitely early access game at the moment. Cool to play but lack of everything to be higher than C tier)

For my next games i'm looking at : Enter the gungeon, Risk of rain 2, Rogue Legacy 2, Gunfire reborn, Curse of the dead gods, Astral ascent, Dead cells, Spelunky 2, Dungeon of the endless, Undermine.

I know there are a lot of roguelite/roguelike tier list on youtube but for some reasons none of them really helped me. So if you have any recommandation or feedback, or just want to share your journey with a roguelite game, that would be appreciated.

Edited by Shorah-
  • Like 2

The Last Stand: Aftermath

Twin stick top down zombie shooter.

You spawn has a sick survivor who is sent out into the wasteland with the goal of searching for a cure before your inevitable death. Each survivor finds Intel / gear to send back to the outpost that offer unlocks for the next round.

Was one of my more enjoyable experiences in the genre, given your chart I'd put it at around an A. Which I think is worth the investment for the price.

Edited by Skurkitty
Added video link

2 minutes ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

I'd go Risk of Rain 2, from the ones on your list, but I'll throw in that you should try Hlt of the Lamb too. It is such a unique game with fun base building/cult growing and dungeon crawling. 

My question with Risk of Rain 2 is if it's good as a solo game or if i definitely need to find friends to get the most of it.

13 minutes ago, Shorah- said:

My own tier list of what i've played (to be updated): 

S-

Slay the Spire (top 10 best game ever played. I can understand that trophies are a bit too difficult for some people and ruin the pleasure.)

With Slay the Spire as one of your top tier entries, I think the most logical ones I can recommend (both of which are fantastic) are another two rogue like Deck-builders:

Griftlands, and Fights in tight Spaces

5 minutes ago, DEMONICRUBLE18 said:

If you have PSVR2 I heard Synapse is rougelike, Hades I've heard is amazing haven't played it myself yet, also the Virtuous Cycle DLC from Mortal-Shell is pretty good. 

Good pick, it's on my wishlist.

8 minutes ago, Skurkitty said:

The Last Stand: Aftermath

Twin stick top down zombie shooter.

You spawn has a sick survivor who is sent out into the wasteland with the goal of searching for a cure before your inevitable death. Each survivor finds Intel / gear to send back to the outpost that offer unlocks for the next round.

Was one of my more enjoyable experiences in the genre, given your chart I'd put it at around an A. Which I think is worth the investment for the price.

Never heard of it, looks pretty fun from what i see. Nothing annoying trophy wise ?

7 minutes ago, Shorah- said:

My question with Risk of Rain 2 is if it's good as a solo game or if i definitely need to find friends to get the most of it.

I've only played solo (minus like 1 session with a friend). It's still a ton of fun, but also friends would probably make it more fun. Still 100% worth it solo. 

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

With Slay the Spire as one of your top tier entries, I think the most logical ones I can recommend (both of which are fantastic) are another two rogue like Deck-builders:

Griftlands, and Fights in tight Spaces

I feel like i'm more a combat/action player than a card or tactical-turn based gamer. (see my splendid xcom2 1% completion ahaha)

Maybe Slay the spire is just too good that it's a exception.

1 minute ago, Shorah- said:

I feel like i'm more a combat/action player than a card or tactical-turn based gamer. (see my splendid xcom2 1% completion ahaha)

Maybe Slay the spire is just too good that it's a exception.

In that case, maybe take a look at Curse of the Dead Gods - it's more similar to Hades, but IMO, the action is better (though the story elements aren't anywhere close)

1 minute ago, Xylobe said:

Call Isaac, he's crying.

But for real, I'm surprised to not see The Binding of Isaac on your list, as it's always been a poster child of the genre.

I know... i know... i just think the game looks and feel a bit outdated. 

I should have said that earlier, to me, graphics are important and a reason i've been reluctant to play great game like Dead cells or Enter the gungeon.

I know they are good but i F* HATE PIXEL ART SO MUCH MAN !§§§§!!§!§!

😂

1 minute ago, Shorah- said:

I know... i know... i just think the game looks and feel a bit outdated. 

I should have said that earlier, to me, graphics are important and a reason i've been reluctant to play great game like Dead cells or Enter the gungeon.

I know they are good but i F* HATE PIXEL ART SO MUCH MAN !§§§§!!§!§!

😂

Nothing wrong with having preferences, but that's one that will get in the way when you're dealing with such an indie-dependent genre. You're locking yourself out of a ton of mainstays like Isaac, Dead Cells, Gungeon, Risk of Rain, Noita, etc. I'd still recommend trying to give at least one of those a shot unless you really don't think you could stomach it. Outside of those, I really think Hades and Returnal are the best you'll find for action-focused games.

11 minutes ago, Xylobe said:

Nothing wrong with having preferences, but that's one that will get in the way when you're dealing with such an indie-dependent genre. You're locking yourself out of a ton of mainstays like Isaac, Dead Cells, Gungeon, Risk of Rain, Noita, etc. I'd still recommend trying to give at least one of those a shot unless you really don't think you could stomach it. Outside of those, I really think Hades and Returnal are the best you'll find for action-focused games.

Is there something with Isaac that make you love it so much and you never found in more recent games like Gungeon ?

3 hours ago, Shorah- said:

Never heard of it, looks pretty fun from what i see. Nothing annoying trophy wise ?

Not at all, everything will come naturally. The only thing that was a little buggy was the "complete 5 runs" trophy. For it to register you have to do all 5 in one session, however when you get to that point you can basically rush down runs and do 5 in 1hr 30min.