• Marvel's Spiderman 2
    • Metal Gear Solid Master Collection
    • Resident Evil 4
    • Sea of Stars
    • Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

36 minutes ago, TurtlePM said:

Great idea, though I don't agree the inclusion of games such as Forza Motorsport or Pikmin 4 or Dave the Diver where none of these were released on PS. I mean, if it's a PSNP, it should be a Playstation only or also released on PS4/PS5....

Thanks for the feedback. I can't edit the options after I post, but I'll take them into account if I make this next year.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TurtlePM said:

Great idea, though I don't agree the inclusion of games such as Forza Motorsport or Pikmin 4 or Dave the Diver where none of these were released on PS. I mean, if it's a PSNP, it should be a Playstation only or also released on PS4/PS5....

I agree with this. I don't have anything against other platform exclusives, but since this is a PlayStation-dedicated site, it's not fair to include exclusives from other platforms, as some of us may not have had the chance to try them or simply don't care enough.

This would also differentiate this site's "Game of the Year" from others, as some games will have a greater chance to win in their respective categories.

• Like 1

Not that I don't like the games getting shouted out in the indie game section, but I don't think I'd call all of them indie, like Moving out 2 comes from a company with a market cap of 6.5 billion dollars, and Jusant's Dontnod has a 42% stake owned by Tencent. And Dave the Diver was infamous for being in the indie game category when even the developer said that they weren't an indie company.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Breakingthegreen said:

Not that I don't like the games getting shouted out in the indie game section, but I don't think I'd call all of them indie, like Moving out 2 comes from a company with a market cap of 6.5 billion dollars, and Jusant's Dontnod has a 42% stake owned by Tencent. And Dave the Diver was infamous for being in the indie game category when even the developer said that they weren't an indie company.

I feel indie at this point is more about the feeling and genre of the game. Like I mentioned before Life Is Strange, was published was Square Enix, but is still a game with a medium to short budget from a studio that was betting it all to their last game before bankrupcy, poor lip syncing and some performance problems.

It's kind of like music, everyone understands what Indie music is without these people being exactly poor and playing in a bar. Many of them have rich backgrounds and bands like Vampire Weekend have deals with Sony. This doesn't change the fact that they make alternative/indie music.

• Like 2

This was such a great year for gaming! I went easily with my beloved wooden boy haha

In the indie department it was harder to choose, though. I believe that Dave the Diver is indeed the best indie this year, but that isn't on PlayStation; Cocoon is a strong contender but ended up choosing Blasphemous II.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeanolt said:

I feel indie at this point is more about the feeling and genre of the game. Like I mentioned before Life Is Strange, was published was Square Enix, but is still a game with a medium to short budget from a studio that was betting it all to their last game before bankrupcy, poor lip syncing and some performance problems.

It's kind of like music, everyone understands what Indie music is without these people being exactly poor and playing in a bar. Many of them have rich backgrounds and bands like Vampire Weekend have deals with Sony. This doesn't change the fact that they make alternative/indie music.

This is true - we really need a better term than “indie” to capture what is meant and understood by it in this day and age.

I mean, technically, Alan Wake 2 should be in the indie section…

…but that doesn’t feel right, even if it is by the technical definition!

• Like 1

Game of the year lists always remind me how few games I play when they are new 😅

Of all the nominees, the only ones I've played are Spider-Man 2 and Resident Evil 4. RE4 is the better game but I think the platinum is a little more annoying because of the multiple playthroughs required, whereas Spider-man 2 is the kind of game you can easily convince someone who doesn't really trophy hunt to platinum. So I split the votes between those two in each of the categories :)

For indie I don't have a single game on PS that came out this year and could qualify as an indie, so I voted other and it would be Stronghold: Definitive Edition on PC. Great remaster effort of a title that is quite nostalgic to me

• Like 1

Im gonna give game of the year to the Dead Space Remake. I didn’t really like FFXVI, and while I did really like Tears of the kingdom and Super Mario wonder; I didn’t finish the former and I found the latter too short. DSR however took everything great about DS2 and applied it to the first one and made it look better. Big fan.

• Like 1

I was personally blown away by Baldur's Gate III this year. Everything about it is just top notch and nothing this year was even in the same league as it. GOTY.

I don't play that many indie games, but Sea of Stars was one I was immediately interested in and it definitely delivered.

Baldur's Gate III was my favorite platinum this year. It asks a good amount of the player, which includes asking players to beat the game on the hardest difficulty, which has become rare nowadays. It's crazy how it used to be the staple of earning a platinum, but has disappeared from most trophy lists over the years.

PS. Like A Dragon Gaiden is Like a Dragon Maiden in the poll...

• Like 1

I voted for Legend of Zelda because it's like a playground where you can pretty much do whatever. I put in like 120 hours and still haven't scratched the surface, it feels like.

For indie, I voted Sea of Stars. Barely started it (4-5 hours), but I love what I'm seeing so far and haven't really played anything else that came out this year.

Which brings me to my platinum of "other." I did this more as a throw away since I haven't really earned any big plats released this year other than classics... so I guess my favorite classic plat is Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice. It's just a fun game with a pretty easy plat. Not much else to say...

• Like 1

Alan Wake and Viewfinder were easy votes for me for the first two categories - but the third I had to go for Other, because actually, Viewfinder was also the best "platinum journey" for me - and won my "Way to Improve It" Award for best trophy list across all games I played this year (not just ones that actually released this year!)

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I voted for Legend of Zelda because it's like a playground where you can pretty much do whatever. I put in like 120 hours and still haven't scratched the surface, it feels like.

Do you think is better than BOTW? I've read mixed thoughts about it.

35 minutes ago, Jeanolt said:

Do you think is better than BOTW? I've read mixed thoughts about it.

Personally, I think it's superior in almost every aspect. The abilities are more creative, the world is more expansive, the dungeons are more creative, etc. They took everything people didn't like about the first one and improved it.

The reason why people tend to be mixed about it is because it's not as groundbreaking and feels more of the same. Go to your destination, do the dungeon, get something cool to help with the next dungeon. Do side missions, get cool armor, collect memories for new cutscenes, etc. I personally enjoy this loop which is why I had no problem with the story feeling same-y.

I've also heard there's some things added towards the end that unnecessarily makes the game longer, but I haven't gotten far enough in the story so I can't confirm or deny it. 

All I know is that every time I boot it up, I get lost in the vast world and it's just a joy... so much so that I still haven't finished the game. I plan on returning to it in 2024. I did the same thing with Botw and feel like if you try to rush the game, you won't enjoy the ride as much. Maybe that's what happened to others, idk.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

I voted "other" for game of the year, my personal fave of the year is Theatrhythm Final Bar Line. A close second for me is Goodbye Volcano High, and so I voted that for best indie. I don't have a particular fave plat, so I also voted "other" in order to give it to Theatrhythm, it's just such a fun game to play.

• Like 1

My game of the year and platinum of the year vote goes to Robocop Rogue City! To keep it brief, what a fantastic and enjoyable brilliantly written love letter to an incredible franchise. Enjoyed every second of the plat.

My indie game of the year vote goes to Dredge, fantastic game that was strangely addictive!

• Like 1