Servers taken offline “indefinitely” (April 19, 2024) - LBP3 PS4

1 minute ago, imminent-file5 said:

Damn, Sony shouldn't play with us like that. Do you know if their announcement only affects LBP PS4 or Sackboy on PS4/PS5 as well?

Sackboy Adventures has no user generated content and doesn’t share servers with LittleBIGPlanet 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jerry_Appleby said:

Because this exact issue happened but it ended up leaving the PS3 and Vita game servers dead even though they were "working on fixing them." 

They likely realized that fixing the issues would require client-side changes which is no longer feasible for PS3 games so the two situations are hardly comparable. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FreshFromThaDeli said:

And suddenly a huge wave of regret wafts over my head that I didn't complete the trilogy. Let's wait and see. 

Haha, same. Always meant to play the third game but never got around to it.

6 hours ago, FreshFromThaDeli said:

Edited by vegetollo7

Accounts banned? How so? I Didn't played this for a while because I didn't renew PSPlus Extra but should I be worried since I earned trophies?

Luckly I did the online ones but still this is Sad for such wonderful IP, can't believe people doesn't have the heart to respect Sackboy, a lovely guy that doesn't deserve this 😞

FYI: StevenI will soon depart from his role as LittleBigPlanet community manager.

Despite later claiming that the timing of his announcement coincidental (which I don't doubt, he's been in his role since early 2012, how much longer could he keep up with that regardless of the aging, vulnerable state of LBP3?), could this play a part in the server's fate?

Spoiler

Also (I should've said this earlier), Chris Chan's PSN account being among the profiles affected by this "Good Grief!" exploit is fucking hilarious.

Edited by Dry
  • Like 2

On 1/15/2024 at 1:23 PM, vlado1808 said:

Hello guys, any news regarding the servers? Or should i give up my hope of getting the online trophies?

They tweeted 2 days ago and they are still working on it.

• Like 1

Yeah I don't think there's anything they can do to fix this issue. People were getting banned by people being able to change what the server was sending to their system.. I know this doesn't make sense yet, but they would basically change it so every description for every user would say something really messed up, this way it only shows the changed description on their game, but not on the server. Using this they would then submit a grief report and Sony's safety team would view it and ban the account. The only way i can see them coming up is if they disable grief reporting, which would mean there's not much more security for the game servers.

• Like 3

On 1/23/2024 at 12:42 PM, penguinskillcaps said:

Yeah I don't think there's anything they can do to fix this issue. People were getting banned by people being able to change what the server was sending to their system.. I know this doesn't make sense yet, but they would basically change it so every description for every user would say something really messed up, this way it only shows the changed description on their game, but not on the server. Using this they would then submit a grief report and Sony's safety team would view it and ban the account. The only way i can see them coming up is if they disable grief reporting, which would mean there's not much more security for the game servers.

Seems similar to the 'about me' report exploit, where users could get your PSN account banned by reporting illegal content in your about me, even if your about me is empty. Unfortunately Sony didn't give a fuck.

Edited by ArmoredSnowman
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2024 at 6:16 PM, pavelbagirov said:

Sony is poor company so probably will never fix this. Sony only can close servers and destroy theirs IP like Killzone/Socom/Motorstorm/Resistance/Order 1886 and more. They also closed near every game servers of their exclusive games, only few is alive at the moment.

Sony isn't poor, far from it; it's just that servers running without players makes no sense, so they started taking them down. We're talking about support for software that's from more than a decade ago. With Sony's focus largely on single-player campaigns and secondary online modes, it only made sense they would pick this path. The order, as far as I know, never had an online mode in any way.

On 1/8/2024 at 12:48 PM, Phasmia said:

Does this mean no multiplayer trophies can be done? I have a few DLC trophies left and they need multiplayer I think

If you mean completing a level with four players, that can be done with four controllers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gba_51 said:

Sony isn't poor, far from it; it's just that servers running without players makes no sense, so they started taking them down.

From all indications, this game that you posted this reply in doesn’t match your justification. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

From all indications, this game that you posted this reply in doesn’t match your justification. 

Read the comment I quoted; he mentioned beyond LBP. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2024 at 11:35 AM, HusKy said:

It's been 2 months now. People keep asking them every day but their Twitter is completely silent. This is a bad joke at this point.

Unfortunately, it very much looks like history is repeating itself so I'm fully expecting a full and permanent server shutdown to be announced by the time Autumn rolls round :(. I really hope I'm wrong about this but it's not looking looking good :(.

April 19th Edit: The servers are now officially toast, as I predicted would inevitably happen!

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 2