No physical edition for Lara Croft Tomb Raider Remastered Trilogy PS4 & PS5

10 hours ago, iriihutoR84 said:

LimitedRunGames is owned by Embracer and so is Tomb Raider. I'd like to imagine it could happen in the future after they've gotten their digital sales. 

And this collection is being handled by Aspyr, who are also owned by Embracer and have released many, many other games through Limited Run. I'm very confident that it will happen through them.

• Like 2

No physical release, no Day One buy for me. If/ when the days of physical media end so too do my days of ever buying games new, no matter how much I want to play them. 

Edited by Conor
  • Like 3

Sadly it looks like the digital only future is here. Between this, AW2, everything Xbox, etc. physical releases are becoming less prevalent for the industry.

It'll be interesting to see if Sony and Nintendo fully embrace all digital behind Microsoft. 

26 minutes ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

If we ever truly hit a 100% digital only future, my enjoyment in this hobby will go down considerably. I still have a shitton of games in my backlog so it's not like I'll quit, but if we ever get a generation of consoles that are 100% digital only, I might be done with that shit. 

Haha, same. I feel like modern gaming is slowing dying anyway. With gaming being all digital my interest will only dwindle. Thankfully a massive backlog and tons of older replayable retro titles will keep me busy for years to come.

• Like 2

I have a policy that I will not buy a digital game for more than £15 (the max amount I would usually lose by buying physical the selling or trading once finished). The only exception being PSVR2 games, as they may legitimately not be financially viable for the publisher if made physically.

Guess I won’t get this for a long time, if ever.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 2:08 PM, Pumpkin Head Cthulhu said:

you and me both. If they want me to just rent the game I will wait for a massive discount.

I understand it's not cool to read EULA, but you are renting the game no matter if it is physical or digital. Within the EULA, it explicitly outlines what you possess. You have ownership of physical items like the plastic disc, manuals, and the box that came with your game. However, you don't own the software itself; instead, you hold a license that permits you to utilize that software. You may not like the digital trend but do not twist the terms.

21 minutes ago, vegetollo7 said:

I feel like modern gaming is slowing dying anyway.

Always better to look at the numbers rather than emotions. The gaming industry is currently experiencing significant growth.

Edited by BloodyRutz
  • Like 1

If your console is not connected to the internet then it does not matter. yes you never own the license however if they want to take it from you then they would have to physically come to your residence to take the disc edition while the digital they can take at any time. Even if they release a patch to prevent you from playing the physical edition if you are not connected to the internet then there is nothing that can be done.

1 hour ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

If we ever truly hit a 100% digital only future, my enjoyment in this hobby will go down considerably. I still have a shitton of games in my backlog so it's not like I'll quit, but if we ever get a generation of consoles that are 100% digital only, I might be done with that shit. 

I feel the same, between past generations up to now I probably have enough games to last me the rest of my life.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2024 at 1:26 PM, Cerber108 said:

But people will buy it nontheless for full price.

Yup, and they'll probably try to race each other to be the first ones to plat each game.

I played these 3 games to death back in the day, so will wait for a reasonable discount before buying them.  I still need to play Rise and Shadow in the meantime!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

Honestly I predict that TECHNICALLY next gen will be all-digital in the sense that, I expect the PS6 to launch with a disc drive only because it'll be backwards compatible with PS4 and PS5 (I don't see Sony getting away from the AMD chip architecture, therefore PS4 will likely be supported). But PS6 games on disc? Likely to be an extremely shallow pool. I also predict that by the time we get to the PS7, they'll start selling Collector's Edition with a disc, to do nothing more than be a collectible, because it'll be seen as novelty by then.

Not sure what all the consternation is about regarding this.

I can understand the complaints about Alan Wake 2 not having a physical version, because that's a full price game. So I'm also waiting for a discount on that because £60-£70 is too much for digital-only. But this is a £25 remaster of three old games. What's the problem with it being digital-only?