Is getting a VITA worth it in 2024?

I got mine for the first time at the end of last year but pretty much only for Uncharted Golden Abyss. Personally I love it because it also allows me to play my favorite game God of War 2 on the go or if there's a power cut.

The library doesn't seem that great though by mind standards. So maybe do some research first to see if there's lots of games you'd actually play.

• Like 3

I got my first ever Vita last month and I’ve been having fun playing with it. The HD screen is nice and it’s a nice counterpart system to the 3DS. Only downside for me is that a lot of games I’m interested in have unobtainable platinums these days because of server closures in games.

• Like 2

There is no official announcement if there will be a new Sony handheld. I think the Vita is worth it, but offcourse memory cards and physical games are most of the times expensive unless you find a bundle. Crossbuy games from Playstation Plus titles or PS4 crossbuy deals can make up for that. 

Maybe you can think about when you want to use it. I used a lot when I was away from home or on public transport. 

• Like 3

I say yes its worth it,

14 hours ago, Mr_Fluffy_Pants_ said:

I got one for Christmas and I’m quite happy with it.

There isn’t many exclusives though, and anything multi-platform is surely going to be better on ps4; but if you want to get trophys or just play games on the go it’s great.

If you enjoy trophies there’s only 4 PlayStation systems you can get them on, and the vita is one so. Definitely worth it in my opinion just for the variety aspect and being able to get trophies for every system your able to.

Also a lot of great ps4 games have separate trophy lists on vita if your the type who likes platinuming the same game multiple times.

As well if you’ve been a ps plus member for a while, or just have a big digital library on ps4, you will likely be pleasantly surprised like I was with how many vita games you already own without even realizing.

all this but some cons are

-memory costs alot and some cards are starting to fail

-1000 model has a proprietary charger

- physical games are going up in price

- Digital Store is slow and crashes

- Only one account per console ( there is a workaround)

- Can't buy digital games without adding funds to your psn account (same as ps3)

- Must use 2FA and PSN password generating in order to sign in (same as ps3)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JCP3953 said:

I say yes its worth it,

all this but some cons are

-memory costs alot and some cards are starting to fail

-1000 model has a proprietary charger

- physical games are going up in price

- Digital Store is slow and crashes

- Only one account per console ( there is a workaround)

- Can't buy digital games without adding funds to your psn account (same as ps3)

- Must use 2FA and PSN password generating in order to sign in (same as ps3)

Damn really? That really sucks.

I'll look it over some more and debate it with what I have, but thanks for posting that.

If you have the money and want a portable, buy something more recent. Both portable PCs and the Switch will offer vastly better libraries than the Vita. 

If you want a portable but can't spend more money than what a Vita costs, maybe go for one. Just be prepared for long load times and poor performance in multiplats and very few exclusives. The library is pretty slim in general if you want the best of what gaming has to offer. If you don't specifically have a large need for portable gaming then you will probably not enjoy the experience compared to playing on your home consoles and the Vita will collect dust.

Unless you're a hardcore trophy hunter, it's not that good. Most games are available on PS3/PS4, and those who aren't you can play in an emulator (or wait a few years until it improves a bit).

It would be nice to get the trophies for Uncharted on Vita, but I can live without it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Evers_cl said:

It is, the downside its there no discounts on the Sony website but there are planty of games you still can find physical. Plus, it works as a second controller or to use it as remote gaming 

The crossbuy games are still discounted...

I bought one a couple years ago and barely play it. I honestly would have been okay if I didn't end up getting one. I get the appeal based on what others here have said. But for me, there aren't enough exclusives. Most of the games I can just play on another Playstation console or on my Switch for portability. It is sort of fun to have another system where I can get trophies so I'm sure I'll keep playing it again from time to time. If you see enough games that you think you'd enjoy playing on it and like playing handhelds though, then go for it.

I mean, Vita has Civilization Revolution 2 Plus, if you like Civ.

And, so many JRPGs and VNs, if you're into these!

The only sad thing about it is, as far I'm aware of, that you can't get Plants vs Zombies, I mean the original and actually good one, anymore these days.

Sony squandered the Vita's potential. The Vita is a great machine with a great library if you push it in the right direction. Just don't be tempted by the dark side, otherwise you'll get the LB ban hammer. Sony knows and, just like with the Vita itself, doesn't give a shit.

Edited by Kittens Are Awesome