Is it worth getting a preowned vita?

willmill97

I was wondering, out of the people that got a pre owned vita, was it worth the cheaper price? Back in 2009, I bought a 2nd PS3 for 1/2 the price of a new one, and it got ylod within 3 months, and I've never bought 2nd hand hardware since. But, since the vita is handheld, would it being preowned make a difference in performance? I don't know if I'm making any sense here, but surely someone will understand what question I'm trying to ask   :awesome:

I was wondering, out of the people that got a pre owned vita, was it worth the cheaper price? Back in 2009, I bought a 2nd PS3 for 1/2 the price of a new one, and it got ylod within 3 months, and I've never bought 2nd hand hardware since. But, since the vita is handheld, would it being preowned make a difference in performance? I don't know if I'm making any sense here, but surely someone will understand what question I'm trying to ask   :awesome:

Personally, I would never ever buy a handheld or console used. Ever since the PS2 all the way through the PSP, PS3, PS Vita, and PS4, I have bought brand new. I have put ungodly amounts of time into them, and have never had one break on me. Not even the PS3 which Lord only knows how many thousands of hours I wasted on it through the years. Always buy new, always. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

As with all used hardware, it's a gamble and entirely depends on the previous owner, and how old the system is.
The biggest issue you might have with a used Vita, is burn-in. And unlike other types of screens, you can't get rid of it on an OLED, so it's there forever. So, as long as you can test it first to check it out, it probably won't end up with any issues. The other major issue is that you could end up with a terrible battery life, and the Vita usually doesn't have that great of battery life anyway.

Personally, I always go with new systems. You may save like $20-$50 or whatever, but you might also lose out on a year or two of life because the previous owner, or it could die within a few months of you buying(like your PS3) it's just better to just spend the extra and know for sure.

As with all used hardware, it's a gamble and entirely depends on the previous owner, and how old the system is.

The biggest issue you might have with a used Vita, is burn-in. And unlike other types of screens, you can't get rid of it on an OLED, so it's there forever. So, as long as you can test it first to check it out, it probably won't end up with any issues. The other major issue is that you could end up with a terrible battery life, and the Vita usually doesn't have that great of battery life anyway.

Personally, I always go with new systems. You may save like $20-$50 or whatever, but you might also lose out on a year or two of life because the previous owner, or it could die within a few months of you buying(like your PS3) it's just better to just spend the extra and know for sure.

I agree completely. Secondly, what is "burn-in". I've heard it mentioned today, but have no clue what it is.

I have a pre-owned PS Vita with only a few days of use, and it came with Resistance and a 8GB memory card for 90€ and in the stores in Portugal the same vita without the game is around the 200€ so yeah it's a good deal. But that depends on what the previous users here told you. Test it before buying it or else you can pay for a broken PS Vita.

I agree completely. Secondly, what is "burn-in". I've heard it mentioned today, but have no clue what it is.

When an image or lines gets burned into the screen of the Vita from staying static onscreen for too long, like what happens with TVs. For example:

uAPSf.jpg

If you leave your Vita on for a long time with the same image, lets say if you leave a scene in Gravity Rush static for a long time, it kinda get embed onto your screen. Kinda forms a frame on your screen and its permanent. Cannot be fixed.

Here's an image -

Burn-in-bw-600x537.jpg

I think it gets darker as time passes but I'm not sure since its never happened to my Vita ^_^

I just bought one recently, for £76 :D well I bought 3,  one for me, my gf and my bro. They all work great. I'd say it's worth it if  you can get it for £75, they came with no warranty though, so that's why they were cheap, I'd suggest this.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/playstation-vita-wifi-only-version-134794?pageSize=20&searchTerm=vita&catGroupId=

£99 and it comes with a year warranty. Totally worth it imo. ;)

Another thing to consider is the basic warranty you get doesn't include accidental breakage. :/ If you crack your screen, sony will fix it, but you'll have to pay for that. Either that or you're fucked, so in the case of a vita, you might be better off getting a cheaper used one. I've tried searching up what the basic warranty covers, I think you have to pay extra for accidental damage cover. So if you can get a vita for £75 go for it, either that or go for the game one. ;) at least with the game one if the vita just breaks down, Game, will replace it.  

• Like 1

When an image or lines gets burned into the screen of the Vita from staying static onscreen for too long, like what happens with TVs. For example:

uAPSf.jpg

THATS what I have, thanks. although, mine is only visible when the screen is completely black

I have a used one and its ok. It was basically my only option because my parents said "You have too many game systems" It was a good way to save money, but if you are looking for it to last, and will play it a lot get a new one. I wish I had of.

uAPSf.jpg

If you leave your Vita on for a long time with the same image, lets say if you leave a scene in Gravity Rush static for a long time, it kinda get embed onto your screen. Kinda forms a frame on your screen and its permanent. Cannot be fixed.

Here's an image -

Burn-in-bw-600x537.jpg

I think it gets darker as time passes but I'm not sure since its never happened to my Vita ^_^

Thanks guys! That looks horrible. Glad I haven't gotten it yet (hopefully never).

Depends where you buying from i bought mine for £128 quite a while ago more than a year it was the second one i bought as had one on release then sold it off as didnt use it i bought it off cex and its fine but then again ive only played about 10 games on it lol

As its been said it all depends on the previous owner, and your own judgment. I purchased my preowned Vita on eBay for $150 with an 8gb card and five high priced games.He barely played it at all, it was immaculate. 

Sounds like you got a serious deal what games were they if ya don't mind me asking

I'd Say Get it New, if its new there's little to no Risk of it being Damaged or Broken.

I had Many Bad Experiences with Preowned Handhelds.

My DSLite broke down within months of Light usage

2 used Psp 2k & 1 Psp 3k had the same death as the DS

So I bought them Again New & they Still Work like a charm.

In My Experience New >>> Used Every time

Sounds like you got a serious deal what games were they if ya don't mind me asking

Not at all. It came with Persona 4, Soul sacrifice (the online codes still worked), Disgaea absence of detention, Assassins creed liberation and Virtues last reward (All fairly high priced at the time).

We talked back and forth for a while to figure things out, it helps when you can actually talk to the previous user.

Oh.. it was a wifi + 3g model as well.

Not at all. It came with Persona 4, Soul sacrifice (the online codes still worked), Disgaea absence of detention, Assassins creed liberation and Virtues last reward (All fairly high priced at the time).

We talked back and forth for a while to figure things out, it helps when you can actually talk to the previous user.

Oh.. it was a wifi + 3g model as well.

If you got the vita and persona for 150 that would of been a good deal with the others its brilliant bought mine new just before the price drop on amazon really got burned by that