I like to read while listening to the OST / scores from games and movies. What OST/score do you recommend?

LeeMcD-

Movie scores are great because they're designed with a clear purpose to compliment a particular part of a movie. The one's listed below are great for building tension as you go down a page. Game scores are great because they were designed to be background music and not distract you too much from what is happening, in other words almost perfect for reading.

By score / ost I mean pieces that don't have any vocals, because well who wants to hear somebody sing when you're reading? You'll just get distracted and start singing along :P

OSTs / Scores that I've found to go very well with reading:

• Bioshock 2
  • Batman Begins / The Dark Knight / The Dark Knight Rises
  • The Last of Us
  • Skyrim (parts)
  • Lord of the Rings / Hobbit
  • Game of Thrones
  • Heavy Rain

Ones that don't go very well:

• Demon's Souls
  • Most of the Final Fantasy's scores
  • Mass Effect 1 / 2 / 3
  • Spirited Away (most of it)
  • Portal

So what do you recommend?

I like the OSTs from Silent Hill (I admit it, not even a specific game of the series; all have some pieces I like more or less).

Listen to them more or less regularly for quite a while now.

Edited by Platimus Dorsi

Arcade Fire did a movie score :o and it is for a Spike Jonze movie :o...why have I not heard about this until now :o.

Thank you good sir :highfive: (also Arcade Fire is Canadian so they are doubly awesome :D)

Not to oversell the movie or anything, but in my opinion 'her' is the best film of the past decade. It's simply phenomenal - I'd highly recommend you watch it. And you're welcome! :highfive:

• Like 1

I'm a huge sucker for theme songs, i frequently listen to them while studying or reading. Some of my favourite Gaming/visual novel/movie instrumental OST's/openings or endings;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1APjqhgIXE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J96nI49GLTQ&list=PLlviC1EqWEy85L25WRewJe9le39Iya1VE

Edited by xZoneHunter
  • Like 1

The Toejam & Earl games have some of the best video game music of all time, in my opinion. I'm not sure how good it would go for reading though because it is so damn funky. 

Some of my favorite tracks from Panic on Funkotron...

Parker

I think I might have tripled my reading playlist with suggestions from this thread ^_^

Ones I really liked: HER, There Will Be Blood, Gladiator, Assassin's Creed, The Walking Dead, Beyond Two Souls, Remember Me, Shadow of the Colossus, Fargo. Many of the other stuff was too 'techno' for my liking so I passed on them.

Thanks for the suggestions people, post more if you think of any!