A thread for the Legendary VR Missions

Congrats to everyone that has finished the VR challenges lately.

It's great to see the awesome sense of pride and accomplishment people have for overcoming the challenges themselves in this thread compared to the absolute desperation on display with shareplay requests going on in the gaming sessions.

Edited by BusyFace13
  • Haha 1

Thank the guide to Optinooby i managed to move forward, now i miss legendary (cloud,barret and Tifa done).

I Like the Yuffie part of the build every time i had to try again when i made a mistake (the trick is that it take patience and your skill in how you play it).

Thank again Optinooby, i wait for last chapter 14 hard xD

Edited by Stormend09
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BusyFace13 said:

Congrats to everyone that has finished the VR challenges lately.

It's great to see the awesome sense of pride and accomplishment people have for overcoming the challenges themselves in this thread compared to the absolute desperation on display with shareplay requests going on in the gaming sessions.

100% finally did all mine. Odin for me on bonds of friendship was my ultimate boss but we got him.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MetalFearbringer said:

Hi guys, just wanted to know what are the hardest challenges in the game when it comes to VR missions:

1 - Bonds of Friendship

2 - Rulers of the outer worlds

3 - To be a Hero

Is it safe to assume that this is the order based on difficulty?

So far I've only managed to do Rulers of, which was super draining, that Sephiroth is proper unfair.

Currently trying To be a Hero but Odin is killing me every time I reach him.

I'm right there with you with Odin. I might actually practice him a few times on hard in his VR mission.

Having beaten Rulers of the Outer Worlds recently, I feel like Bonds and Rulers are on equal footing. Same difficulty but for different reasons.

Good luck with Odin! I'm gonna take another crack at it today

Finally managed to beat Odin in To be a Hero

The key was optinoob strategy video + abuse of Reraise's + usage of the synergy skill to have MP COST 0

Like this you don't need to stress about all the zanetsukens in world.

Good luck guys with Odin.

Will try Bonds Of Friendship some other day, too drained right now 🥲😴

Edited by MetalFearbringer

Doing To be a Hero right after Bonds of Friendship was night and day. Sephiroth just tore through everything, ended up doing it first try whereas Bonds of Friendship took me a good solid 5 or so attempts.

23 hours ago, MetalFearbringer said:

Hi guys, just wanted to know what are the hardest challenges in the game when it comes to VR missions:

1 - Bonds of Friendship

2 - Rulers of the outer worlds

3 - To be a Hero

Is it safe to assume that this is the order based on difficulty?

Bonds of Friendship and To be a Hero are very similar (who the hell thought it was a good idea to have 2 separate boss russhes with 6/10 same bosses?). 

For To be a Hero I used the same build I used for Bonds and managed on my 2nd attempt.

The only difference was that without Zack I couldn't cast Faith on Cloud, but on the other hand I could cast Revival. 

As many have said, it is hard to say which of the 3 is the hardest. In all of them there is a decent amount of luck involved, but probably Sephirot in Rulers is the most luck-based. 

For people stuck on Odin, I used a slightly modified version of this build https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvNzI4VEkAI

I was casting Manawall on Cloud with Zack/Sephiroth, attacking him with Thundaga / Aeroga (Thundaga hits faster, but I had Aeroga with HP absorb) and parrying his attacks in Prime Mode (auto parry). Switching sometime to Zack/Seph to get some ATB and heal.

When Odin does Temporal Imprisonement at the end I was immediately using the Cloud's limit to be immune. 

In the end, the whole boss rush takes practice, it's not too hard. But it's so annoying that they had 2 almost identical boss rushes. 

I was absolutely dreading doing these VR missions. I'm not the best at the combat and I thought these would be a platinum killer for me. I've found myself sitting for ages idle in the game watching different videos on youtube of runs and was getting even more worried, haha. For anyone that's struggling here's what my approach has been. I did the main story on hard first, unlocking all the folios from there including the side quest ones. There are some challenging fights throughout but nothing that a bit of patience and repetition won't cure. When I completed that I attempted some of the solo legendary missions so I could get level 9 weapons for Aerith. Doesn't hurt to have a bit more magic on her since she's the one doing all the damage. I've pretty much used @Optinooby builds for everything and whilst mine have been a bit more sloppy, they've been so helpful! I've just finished Rulers of the Outer Worlds in 6min 20 seconds in 4 attempts. When the battle starts I hasted Yuffie, got her to run to the far left of the arena and start spamming brummel form in the ATB ward. Only died once to Bahamut and Titan before making it to Sephiroth each time. Best advice I've got for him is when you get the build setup, spam Aerith's -ga spells as soon as they're up and pretty much Sepiroth won't get the chance to use his chains. Manawall is definitely a must, the run before my win he chained Barrett when he was casting it. Now just to finish up the last 4 solos and the final 2 VRs and I'll be done! Thanks to everyone throughout these forums for the advice and builds. Wouldn't of been able to do it without you all. :)

• Like 2

Just got the final VR mission done. Some of the Brutal and Legendary missions were hands down some of the most RNG-dependent and overtuned slogs. I don't know who had the bang-up idea to put a 2 person 10-round boss rush in as a completion requirement and then double down on it. Especially where one of the characters is only available within the VR mission itself. Or the other bright spark who thought a 5 round boss rush with double summon enemies in each round, culminating in a consecutive Gilgamesh/Sephiroth double whammy.

Ugh...

Well, that's my rant over. I'm just happy I have done it now. I really hope they don't do this again for the third game. There really is no need. Halve the amount of VR missions, remove any Brutal / Legendary shite and cut down on Chadley being a character in the game in general. It will only add to the overall game experience.

1 hour ago, Procyon1981 said:

Finally done... would not wish the friendship bout on my worst enemy! Just hard mode chapters 13 and 14 then I'm done. 

Congrats! I've been mopping up minigame stuff to take a break from fighting. I still need to start the hard playthrough, how did you find it overall, if you don't mind me asking? I hope it is more doable than the VR onslaught I just put myself through.

On 3/30/2024 at 9:00 PM, Oddish88 said:

I've made a few guides for these. I've tried to keep the buildd very simple yet effective at clearing the fights. One thing I've noticed is elemental spells being very overpowered here.

Barret vs the Colossi

this one is kinda funny, running barret as fire mage and it's close to impossible to die. I actually don't move, block or dodge even once during it.

Aerith vs The Magi

Fire/Ice based build, with 1:21 clear time not much can go wrong

Cloud vs The Warriors

yet another magic build, lightning based this time

Bonds of Friendship

Cloud is a wind/lightning mage with prime mode, zack is largely ignored just used as faith/haste/stop buffer

Will do more if it helps anyone!

I’m a long way away, but I can’t wait to check this out when I finally get to the post-game! Thank you for posting these guides!

Hi all, I made this video to speedrun To be a Hero. This is a more aggressive version of the classic "Cloud Prime Mode + aga spells" build (for example, no HP UP or Reraise), but I find it more effective. 

All details are in the video description. 

Hope this helps whoever is still struggling. 

Edited by nudoetcrudo

20 hours ago, Buff_Cupcake said:

Congrats! I've been mopping up minigame stuff to take a break from fighting. I still need to start the hard playthrough, how did you find it overall, if you don't mind me asking? I hope it is more doable than the VR onslaught I just put myself through.

Not the person you asked, but imo hard mode was cake compared with the VR stuff.

I'm grinding the VR missions now and struggling a lot compared with hard mode which I finished a few days ago. The difficult fights in hard mode for me were Jenova (both fights), Galian Beast, and the Ultimate Party Animal colosseum stuff. I was stuck for over an hour on each of them and raged quite a bit.

Jenova is very annoying as she won't stop spamming her lasers that almost one shot you. On normal mode those attacks do much less damage, track you much less effectively, and are used much more rarely. On hard mode it feels like you barely have time to attack once or twice before being forced to run for your life. It's extremely annoying.

Aside from that, there's only a couple chapters where MP management gets tight, and those are chapters 11 and 14. So many bosses in a row makes it quite tricky, especially since in chapter 11 you're forced to have Cait Sith for every boss except Roche. And in chapter 14 it's really Cloud's MP that is tricky to conserve.

Stagger Recovery is a crucial skill to have on him. As for chapter 13, I found it to be completely fine because you can easily recover MP with Aerith between boss fights by using Soul Drain on basic enemies (Spiritual Harvest is a very important skill on her, it buffs Soul Drain a lot ; also, remember that using Soul Drain on a staggered enemy replenishes much more MP).

Any chapter where you have access to the open world between bosses is fine because resting at chocobo stops with a cushion replenishes MP. So yeah, overall, Jenova is a bitch, and the boss gauntlets in chapters 11 and 14 are a bad time. Aside from that, hard mode is completely fine. I beat all bosses aside from Jenova and Galian Beast within 1 to 3 tries maximum. Most were first try.

And that's coming from someone who sucks at the VR missions.

Edited by Nick240894

My last two legendaries to hundred percent completion, but really feel like throwing in the towel, following Optinoob’s but guess still either too difficult for me or no luck with RNG..  only made it to Odin once… maybe this is it already, sigh 

On 4/1/2024 at 8:09 AM, nudoetcrudo said:

Bonds of Friendship and To be a Hero are very similar (who the hell thought it was a good idea to have 2 separate boss russhes with 6/10 same bosses?). 

For To be a Hero I used the same build I used for Bonds and managed on my 2nd attempt.

The only difference was that without Zack I couldn't cast Faith on Cloud, but on the other hand I could cast Revival. 

As many have said, it is hard to say which of the 3 is the hardest. In all of them there is a decent amount of luck involved, but probably Sephirot in Rulers is the most luck-based. 

For people stuck on Odin, I used a slightly modified version of this build https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvNzI4VEkAI

I was casting Manawall on Cloud with Zack/Sephiroth, attacking him with Thundaga / Aeroga (Thundaga hits faster, but I had Aeroga with HP absorb) and parrying his attacks in Prime Mode (auto parry). Switching sometime to Zack/Seph to get some ATB and heal.

When Odin does Temporal Imprisonement at the end I was immediately using the Cloud's limit to be immune. 

In the end, the whole boss rush takes practice, it's not too hard. But it's so annoying that they had 2 almost identical boss rushes. 

How do you do auto parry? Which material did you switch out?

1 hour ago, captain_evil777 said:

How do you do auto parry? Which material did you switch out?

Parry is automatic when in Punisher or Prime mode with Cloud. Just hold the block button and he will go into a defensive stance. When he gets a regular attack, it will take some reduced damage (a manual parry doesn't) but he will automatically counter and get some nice ATB. Unblockable attacks do full damage (even more in Prime). 

It can be OP if you learn to quickly switch between regular mode and Prime mode by dodging and switching back. 

The materia I use are at the end of the video, in the description, and in the comments. 

Edited by nudoetcrudo

19 hours ago, Nick240894 said:

Jenova is very annoying as she won't stop spamming her lasers that almost one shot you. On normal mode those attacks do much less damage, track you much less effectively, and are used much more rarely. On hard mode it feels like you barely have time to attack once or twice before being forced to run for your life. It's extremely annoying.

For the record, nice easy way to destroy Jenova Emergent on Hard Mode ;), maybe worth looking just to see how easy it can be! One of the biggest factors is you need to attack the Shoulder when available and not the head, and if course I use Stop to delete the 3rd phase. The Shoulder deletes the overall health bar much better than just the Heas.

Only up to Chapter 7 so far with breaking the bosses

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

For the record, nice easy way to destroy Jenova Emergent on Hard Mode ;), maybe worth looking just to see how easy it can be! One of the biggest factors is you need to attack the Shoulder when available and not the head, and if course I use Stop to delete the 3rd phase. The Shoulder deletes the overall health bar much better than just the Heas.

Opti is the best all thanks to him for the help he dose without your guides I wasn't gonna be able to get the platinum and i'm waiting for the rest of the hard playthrouh so i can finish the game 

Edited by Mado0o_007
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nudoetcrudo said:

Parry is automatic when in Punisher or Prime mode with Cloud. Just hold the block button and he will go into a defensive stance. When he gets a regular attack, it will take some reduced damage (a manual parry doesn't) but he will automatically counter and get some nice ATB. Unblockable attacks do full damage (even more in Prime). 

It can be OP if you learn to quickly switch between regular mode and Prime mode by dodging and switching back. 

The materia I use are at the end of the video, in the description, and in the comments. 

Thank you. Calling it a night, lost it after Odin imprisonment me, no limit breaks to interrupt. 

Finished all mini games and hard mode, only left this friendship and hero (hero not even attempted yet)…. but I’m losing my mind..

Btw, Opti if you are reading this, thanks for your guide, they got me through the rest of the VRs except these two, it’s my skill issues. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Optinooby said:

I actually watched this video this morning lol. Already beat hard mode several days ago but it's always fun to see what strats you've come up with. Great guide indeed. Your videos have saved me on many occasions, particularly with those pesky S+ hardcore runs in Resident Evil 2!

Edited by Nick240894
  • Like 1