Naming Characters

Sra-000

for RPGs.. I use the google first to search what are the names of the main protagonists (e.g. Persona 3/4, Suikoden Series)

if there are no default name, I use my PSN name: jeieem for male and if the protagonist is female... either Nanami or choose random til I see a name I like...

BrunoBomb is my 1st option

If for some reason this name is invalid (used or I cant use and appears as Bru****mb, please can someone explain me what is wrong with nobo?) I use Bruno or BAPC

Nobo = noob

Which is kinda lame because noob isn't even in the dictionary

I always go for default names

Edited by Goekie

:) I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm way too obsessed with finding the perfect name. As many of you do, it would be easier if I just picked 1 male and 1 female name for all. But after role-playing a certain character for several weeks, it always strikes me as weird to see that same name on someone else. And the default names never really seem to be very satisfying.

It depends on the game for me.  In games where I have a regular human protagonist I tend to give it my name or nickname.  When it's a more impressive character, I get more creative, and I usually think one on the spot, based on their appereance.  When I get to make my own character, this can take a while.

Now, in very few cases I leave the default names.  I do that in Final Fantasy games, for instance, since if there's a moment when I need external help with one of those impossible-to-figure-out-on-your-own sidequest, people refer to the characters as they're named by default.  But, I hear people mention that your name doesn't matter in Mass Effect because no one never calls you by it.  The thing is, you have no way to know that the first time you play the game.  The second time, I still refused to go by such a plain name, so I just named my character with a different name anyway.

I use names from Game of Thrones characters for fantasy games. If playing as another race, like an elf in Dragon Age, I try and adapt it to fit with the game world, for example Edül'rian or something like that.

In Mass Effect, I think I just used my real name...

Most games that require a name, will offer the possibility to connect with your charachter.

It would be weird if they all had the same name, so I try to be original about it.

It create names based on my mood or something that I'm thinking of.

I once created an engineer in Mass Effect named Dexter because I just saw an episode of Dexter's laboraroty.

I made a female charachter in an rpg that looked like trinity form the matrix so I call her Trinity.

In Dragon Age 1 you could choose a tattoo that covered half your face, so I called him Dent after Harvey, two-face, Denkt.

In Skyrim I made a charachter that would embrace all playstyles. I called him Novarius (nova = new varius= various) so a new way of variety.

So you can imagine that I have quite the variety of different names through all the RPG's I've played.