Far Cry 2 Community Servers

Anton_games337

Noting here the rules around custom servers when earning trophies: https://psnprofiles.com/guide/18277-psnprofiles-leaderboard-rules-disputes#7-custom-servers

I don’t know if this game has online trophies but it is not on the approved list so any trophies earned would remove your profile from the leaderboards. 

That said, good for them building the server. It’s cool to see enough people come together to get these working. 

• Like 3

I have messaged MMDE but didn't get any answer yet. Because servers are already up, people are playing I decided to inform PSN profiles users about it. I am open to discussion with PSN profiles team about making this server legit and approved by PSN profiles 

9 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

For custom servers to be approved, they have to be both open source and free of CFW and other hacks.

What do you mean free of CFW? Anyone can install CFW and join public servers. To play on this server you only need to change DNS. 

About open source. Developers of this server claim that they can't do it due to legal reasons. "Well eu reverse engineering laws say that you should not share your findings publicly if this is not strictly necessary. <...> court would rule that it is not since we can make the game work as intended without publishing source, if it was required to modify the game itself then maybe." 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Anton_games337 said:

What do you mean free of CFW? Anyone can install CFW and join public servers. To play on this server you only need to change DNS. 

About open source. Developers of this server claim that they can't do it due to legal reasons. "Well eu reverse engineering laws say that you should not share your findings publicly if this is not strictly necessary. <...> court would rule that it is not since we can make the game work as intended without publishing source, if it was required to modify the game itself then maybe." 

Not being open source is definitely going to keep it from being approved here for the leaderboards. Legal requirements and leaderboard requirements are two different things. 

Open source means anyone can get a server running and ensures no one can limit access which is a requirement that’s been stated in just about every thread on here for custom servers that have been created. It also makes it possible to review the code to look for any api calls that might trigger trophies without meeting requirements. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Not being open source is definitely going to keep it from being approved here for the leaderboards. Legal requirements and leaderboard requirements are two different things. 

Open source means anyone can get a server running and ensures no one can limit access which is a requirement that’s been stated in just about every thread on here for custom servers that have been created. It also makes it possible to review the code to look for any api calls that might trigger trophies without meeting requirements. 

Some points to discuss:

1. open source would enable just about anyone to join their own server, and enable them to spoof stats as they please basically making hacking easier cause everyone can see server logic etc

2. the original game actually required an ubisoft account to play, how is the requirement for a farcry2.online account any different?

3. this is a server, not a mod, there is nothing called api calls on the server

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Anton_games337 said:

Just because you only need to change DNS, it doesn't mean that the servers were made without using CFW or some other potentially harmful software. If it's not open source, the team cannot verify if the server works exactly the same as the original servers did. Think about it, they have the servers in their own hands, and they can change whatever they want, like you can get all trophies in an hour. Until this can be tested, it won't be approved. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HaserPL said:

Just because you only need to change DNS, it doesn't mean that the servers were made without using CFW or some other potentially harmful software. If it's not open source, the team cannot verify if the server works exactly the same as the original servers did. Think about it, they have the servers in their own hands, and they can change whatever they want, like you can get all trophies in an hour. Until this can be tested, it won't be approved. 

How open source code make server safer? How do you know what is actually running on server at the moment?

6 minutes ago, Anton_games337 said:

Some points to discuss:

1. open source would enable just about anyone to join their own server, and enable them to spoof stats as they please basically making hacking easier cause everyone can see server logic etc

2. the original game actually required an ubisoft account to play, how is the requirement for a farcry2.online account any different?

3. this is a server, not a mod, there is nothing called api calls on the server

1. Have any examples of your hypothetical situation on the multiple year old open source servers that already exist?

2. Irrelevant comparison. 
3. It’s probably not worth explaining what api calls are and how servers function. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Floorkiller74 said:

I always wonder about "fan servers" for games that I could never find regular/legit games in when the servers were actually still up. 

If your timestamps follow leaderboard acceptable patterns, have at it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

16 minutes ago, N1cktim said:

Has the option of CRT requesting the source code privately, investigating it on their end and seeing how the servers run for themselves without the source code going public ever been suggested or looked into? Not just for these servers, but for other dead multiplayer games too.

It seems like whenever there's this argument, only the developers are required to do something. How about CRT actually does something too? They could approach the developers and suggest a consensus, e.g. your source code doesn't go fully public but we take a look at the code and, if it's good to go, approve your server on PSNProfiles. I believe the developers would be more inclined to share the code in that case and the PSNP users would be happy to use the servers to get the trophies.

So many people are unhappy about this but everyone accepts whatever CRT has to say just because they have the authority. But, as the authority, do they actually do anything to IMPROVE the situation?

1. Even if the server is open source, the developers can still at any point in time tweak it, including the trophy requirements. They can share the code online, then change how it performs on the server, then reverse it and so on. In that regard, how is it different from the private servers?

2. If the fan server is open source, anyone can use the code to recreate it on their side and alter the trophy requirements to make them easier. How do you know who obtained them properly and who cheated?

3. Have there been fan servers that are private and are actually confirmed to tweak the trophy requirements?

All of this has been answered every time a new custom server is released.

Open source requirement is twofold: Checking source for mods but also to ensure everyone can pull the code and run their own server so access to the custom servers isn't restricted from anyone who wants to play. 

1. You mean modify the server code? As in mods? There's already a rule covering that, the servers will be pulled from being approved if mods are reported.

2. Hasn't happened yet, but feel free to provide actual examples when it does. Likely the servers will stop being approved when it's brought up and anyone after that will be flagged.

3. Haven't seen anyone bring examples yet.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Anton_games337 said:

* If you don't already have an account on https://farcry2.online/ (you can use the same as on PC), register one here: https://farcry2.online/register.html

* Link your PSN account to your farcry2.online account by entering your e-mail here: https://farcry2.online/request-link-ps3-account.html, and follow instructions in email.

Why?

6 hours ago, Anton_games337 said:

This seems to be more of a gray zone in EU, not fully settled law. I actually doubt they would get in any trouble, and Ubisoft would complain, if they wanted to, regardless of how they did it, unless it actually reveals something secret that breaks their current systems, and couldn't just be easily reverse engineered by anyone competent enough to have any use for it. I highly doubt there is anything innovative about what Ubisoft has done.

Edited by MMDE

13 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Why?

This seems to be more of a gray zone in EU, not fully settled law. I actually doubt they would get in any trouble, and Ubisoft would complain, if they wanted to, regardless of how they did it, unless it actually reveals something secret that breaks their current systems, and couldn't just be easily reverse engineered by anyone competent enough to have any use for it. I highly doubt there is anything innovative about what Ubisoft has done.

Since I am not an actual developer of the server I have asked a creator of this server to PM you explaining all details about this server, ect. He wrote you in Discord. We will be very grateful to receive your reply. We are looking forward to hearing from you! 

5 hours ago, N1cktim said:

Has the option of CRT requesting the source code privately, investigating it on their end and seeing how the servers run for themselves without the source code going public ever been suggested or looked into? Not just for these servers, but for other dead multiplayer games too.

The main issue is that if the source code isn't open for anyone, (assuming everything is legit and you have to earn the trophies normally) then not everyone will be able to obtain the trophies. If the owners simply dislike someone, they might ban that person from participating, so it turns from a possible way for everyone to obtain the trophies, to "who will be allowed to obtain the trophies". Better yet, I wouldn't be surprised if the owners decided to charge money for access to the servers, hence the rules are so strict and must be transparent. If you allow some shenanigans to happen in SOME situations, then it's just a downward spiral out of control. 

• Like 2

It's a situation that has been discussed for a while now, and the stance is unlikely to change any time soon - as much as I'd like it to.

The only real possibility is PSNP hosting and maintaining a copy of such servers once satisfied with the code and its legitimacy. How likely is it to happen? Not very..

• Like 1

This is the last Far Cry game I need for 100% in every game in the series series and every version, I bought two copies of the game about a year ago then discovered servers had been down for a few months, at this point they are never getting fixed so this is my only chance, fingers crossed it gets approved on PSNP but I doubt it ever will.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nikythekiller98 said:

Curious to see how this situation evolves.

I'd love to finally be able to grind this one out.

You had over a decade to do it. Think now you would finally sit around and do it?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2