ALL Vita games should have subtitles

DaivRules

I'm a bit annoyed. I play my Vita often, and usually on Mute so as not to disturb the family. I'm pretty frustrated that not every game as subtitles.

I mainly noticed this with God of War recently. I know it's a PS2/PS3 game, but I was remote playing it on my Vita, and I had it on mute. No option for subtitles that I could find. For the amount of time some of these cut scenes probably took to create, I'm blown away there isn't a subtitles option.

If I had an issue with my hearing, I would be livid and showing my frustration by not buying games without subtitles.

C'mon, Sony! Make subtitles a requirement for developers on all future games and patch at least Sony titles.

• Like 1

I don't really understand the "don't want to disturb the family" part. Does it mean you play PS Vita in the living room or in the kitchen? Because it shouldn't be loud enough to disturb someone outside your room.

I only play my PS Vita inside my room and with headphones on. I really like most of the OST or the voices to be around me instead of just infront of me (I also play PS3 with headphones on).

My PS Vita never left my room since the day I opened the package.

But I do get the idea behind it. Let's say you are travelling by train for example(or by car) and want to listen to the people around you and also want to know whats happening in the game, so subtitles would be very nice.

• Like 1

I don't really understand the "don't want to disturb the family" part. Does it mean you play PS Vita in the living room or in the kitchen? Because it shouldn't be loud enough to disturb someone outside your room.

I only play my PS Vita inside my room and with headphones on. I really like most of the OST or the voices to be around me instead of just infront of me (I also play PS3 with headphones on).

My PS Vita never left my room since the day I opened the package.

But I do get the idea behind it. Let's say you are travelling by train for example(or by car) and want to listen to the people around you and also want to know whats happening in the game, so subtitles would be very nice.

"The family" doesn't just mean parents, it can also mean wife/husband etc. I found that my wife got pretty annoyed if i sat in a different room to her every night. :)

• Like 2

"The family" doesn't just mean parents, it can also mean wife/husband etc. I found that my wife got pretty annoyed if i sat in a different room to her every night. :)

I thought of that, too. :P I don't know but I think headphones won't help much in that situation. When I play a game and have headphones on, nobody can talk to me, they have to pull me back to reality(a little exaggerated). So it won't be much different than sitting in another room.

Edited by Mazionga

I thought of that, too. :P I don't know but I think headphones won't help much in that situation. When I play a game and have headphones on, nobody can talk to me, they have to pull me back to reality(a little exaggerated). So it won't be much different than sitting in another room.

I think that's the point, if all games had subtitles then it wouldn't be an issue.

I always turn subtitles off, as I tend to find I read faster than the dialogue, so I end up skipping forward a lot, (except in the Assasins Creed 2 trilogy, wherejI plaeyed with italian language and english subtitles).

Whnever i play my vita in the house i stick one earphone in, so i can hear the game, but also hear if im getting yelled at by the wife ;)

why don't you just listen to it using headphones instead of muting it?

Yeah, why not use headphones? 

I don't really understand the "don't want to disturb the family" part. 

uh yea headphones.

Just buy a nice pair of Sony earbuds. Even on trains and planes you can turn the volume low enough to still hear people.

I sit about five feet away from the wife when playing while she watches her shows and we converse regularly while I game and she watches. Headphones aren't practical in this situation. I wear headphones for 10 hours a day at work, and an hour additionally when on the treadmill. I shouldn't have to wear headphones or disturb others when there is a very simple and practical solution that many developers have already implemented.

Subtitles on most games allow people to not have to wear headphones to get the full experience of a game that is pretty story driven. Sony (Santa Monica Studio) had to port the game(s) from PS2/PSP to PS3 to Vita. Subtitles should have been an easy thing for them to add.

Also, by not even including subtitles, studios are completely eliminating a large part of the potential gamers from ever enjoying their titles. Statistics from the Hearing Health Foundation pegs that number around 20% of the population. Not putting subtitles in games that are so story (and usually dialog) driven these days just seems really ignorant. If every television show on these days can manage subtitles, every game should too. It's just the right thing to do.

• Like 1

I turn on subtitles in every single game where it is possible to do so. I like to make sure I don't miss anything important that's said, but, like others have mentioned, it's also convenient when playing in a quiet area and you either don't have headphones on hand or don't want to use them.

As others have brought up, subtitles even just for the sake of the hearing impaired should be a good enough reason for it to be an industry standard. Having said that, I find the vast majority of games DO provided subtitles; few omit them entirely.

Well. I'm deaf and agree. All games should have subtitles, I often put subs on, as although i'm not 100% deaf (about 67 decibel loss (i think, cant remember exactly)),classed as severly deaf anyhow, the subs help me to actually understand whats going on...

Edited by Cobby1995