IGN apologizes for posting false Last Guardian cancellation story

DarkStar83x

For those who were unaware, last night, IGN posted a story saying The Last Guardian had been officially cancelled. Sony denied it on Twitter pretty quickly. Today, after probably a shitload of deserved criticism for their reporting, IGN apologized:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/09/the-last-guardian-an-apology

My opinion of them is still pretty low, but at least they admitted it. Pretty big of them.

Classic IGN... always so keen to start fanboy flame wars haha. But seriously, they're SO quick to post about anything that they know is controversial... even if they haven't got a proper source.

On the other hand, they were very good about it (in terms of apologising, and retracting the statement, etc.), so good on them for taking a stand. I'll still go there every day for my gaming news though, doesn't change that whatsoever.

I WANT THIS GAME SO BAD THOUGH  :unsure:

Edited by FluffyAssassin64

All they were doing is reporting information from one of their trusted sources, sometimes those sources are right and sometimes they're wrong. I don't see the problem here, they got some information that a lot of people would want to know and reported it. It turned out to be incorrect information so it was retracted and they apologized. Seems like they did everything right to me and I'll continue to go there for my gaming news. 

Parker

• Like 4

It was clickbait and nothing else. They may have apologized, but they still made their money from it.

IGN is supposed to be the big, trusted, gaming news site. They shouldn't be posting articles based on rumors and their not so reliable sources.

• Like 2

I was reading this before I went to bed last night and was like "jeez, this looks like a mess," haha. What's weird to me is that even after people from Sony were like "no it's not", IGN was still like "no, no, don't listen to Sony, this is real" haha

Edited by BlindMango

People still take IGN seriously? 

I take it as serious as I take all news sites, real or gaming. It has a great layout, I like the personalities, and their reviews for the most part reflect my gaming habits. It's the only gaming site I go to religiously for gaming news.

I take it as serious as I take all news sites, real or gaming. It has a great layout, I like the personalities, and their reviews for the most part reflect my gaming habits. It's the only gaming site I go to religiously for gaming news.

I just don't like their corporate feel, everything just feels as if there's an agenda behind it (though thats probably all in my head) I do not take their reviews serious at all when the likes of Call of Duty gets an annual 9 rating. Not to sound hipsterish but I don't like it's mainstream feel. The soul of gaming isn't there, it's corporate, which to be fair it comes with the territory when you're the size IGN is.

I was reading this before I went to bed last night and was like "jeez, this looks like a mess," haha. What's weird to me is that even after people from Sony were like "no it's not", IGN was still like "no, no, don't listen to Sony, this is real" haha

At this point I believe IGN over Sony, never seems like this game is coming out

• Like 1

IGN must think that they transcend Sony's words to say something like that. 

Edited by Bear
  • Like 2

I just don't like their corporate feel, everything just feels as if there's an agenda behind it (though thats probably all in my head) I do not take their reviews serious at all when the likes of Call of Duty gets an annual 9 rating. Not to sound hipsterish but I don't like it's mainstream feel. The soul of gaming isn't there, it's corporate, which to be fair it comes with the territory when you're the size IGN is.

I agree about it feeling corporate but I feel like they do a good job of trying to be as balanced as possible.  With all websites it's about click revenue so they do have those articles that are about pitting people against each other and inane articles about resolution and framerate numbers.  Unfortunately it is what people want to hear and so they report on it.  I hate that aspect but I understand there will be those and accept that to get the stuff I want, I have to ignore the articles that I believe are just there for arguments.

I'd like to address your comments about the rating system.  They have even said on multiple occasions that the number system is nothing but flawed but again people want it.  The reviews as a whole though are actually very well written and full of the information to give you a good idea how the game is and all aspects of it without too many spoilers which other sites don't do as well. You read what worked and what didn't and you decide if what they didn't like is something you do, and what they liked you don't like. 

With COD getting a 9 I understand why.  It is a 9 to the person who reviewed it.  The people who review games are usually the ones with the most experience in that genre.  Vince does fighting games so you go to him to see what the new street fighter or Mortal Kombat games play like and how it stacks up and in their opinion what new it brings to the table.  From that you get a rating of 9 but it is there for people who love fighters and want to make sure the gameplay hasn't gotten stale.  Through the score and all the words of the review in total information, you decide if it is something you think you would like.  I think it would be  worse when say someone like Leah B. Jackson were to review  COD when she is more of a MMO and RPG type of gamer. 

Lastly IGN's corporate feel is certainly not helped by the ads that are all over the place but I feel good when a game that they absolutely panned has a huge amount of space on their site so the whole paying for reviews accusation I see around, sometimes falls flat.  In my opinion there are plenty of articles, news, and programs that I love on the site that I can put up with the things I don't.  When I weigh the pros and cons of that site I feel that there is enough of the good to put up with the bad.

Edited by dodgedoors

I agree about it feeling corporate but I feel like they do a good job of trying to be as balanced as possible.  With all websites it's about click revenue so they do have those articles that are about pitting people against each other and inane articles about resolution and framerate numbers.  Unfortunately it is what people want to hear and so they report on it.  I hate that aspect but I understand there will be those and accept that to get the stuff I want, I have to ignore the articles that I believe are just there for arguments.

I'd like to address your comments about the rating system.  They have even said on multiple occasions that the number system is nothing but flawed but again people want it.  The reviews as a whole though are actually very well written and full of the information to give you a good idea how the game is and all aspects of it without too many spoilers which other sites don't do as well. You read what worked and what didn't and you decide if what they didn't like is something you do, and what they liked you don't like. 

With COD getting a 9 I understand why.  It is a 9 to the person who reviewed it.  The people who review games are usually the ones with the most experience in that genre.  Vince does fighting games so you go to him to see what the new street fighter or Mortal Kombat games play like and how it stacks up and in their opinion what new it brings to the table.  From that you get a rating of 9 but it is there for people who love fighters and want to make sure the gameplay hasn't gotten stale.  Through the score and all the words of the review in total information, you decide if it is something you think you would like.  I think it would be  worse when say someone like Leah B. Jackson were to review  COD when she is more of a MMO and RPG type of gamer. 

Lastly IGN's corporate feel is certainly not helped by the ads that are all over the place but I feel good when a game that they absolutely panned has a huge amount of space on their site so the whole paying for reviews accusation I see around, sometimes falls flat.  In my opinion there are plenty of articles, news, and programs that I love on the site that I can put up with the things I don't.  When I weigh the pros and cons of that site I feel that there is enough of the good to put up with the bad.

As for a rating system yes I'd completely agree but when it's there and they're using it it's fair game to criticise their ratings. But if it's genre 'experts' or veterans reviewing them why don't they mention things like being hugely repetitive in the case of CoD. (And I'm not some CoD hater who has never played it, I've played 6 of them) They're the same, if you compare Ghosts to CoD4 they're essentially the same minus different guns, maps and extra killstreaks. There's almost a 7 year gap between those games yet they are still getting the same ratings (or there abouts). That doesn't sit right with me.

It was clickbait and nothing else. They may have apologized, but they still made their money from it.

IGN is supposed to be the big, trusted, gaming news site. They shouldn't be posting articles based on rumors and their not so reliable sources.

I see nothing wrong with posting rumors, but they should've at least said it was a rumor in the title. The clickbait idea seems very IGN-esque and I wouldn't put it past them.