Nominate three PS3 games you want remastered for PS4

re-installer

For just PS3 games, I would to get:

1. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 & 2.5 HD Remixes

2. Ninja Gaiden trilogy (specifically 1, tbh)

3. Yakuza 3 & 4

4. Star Ocean The Last Hope (sorry, had to do 4!)

For non-PS3 games, from any PS platform, I'd love to see:

1. Legend of Dragoon (PS1)

2. Dragon Quest VIII (PS2)

3. Shadow Hearts trilogy (PS2)

I would Metal Gear Solid on this list, but MGS without Hideo Kojima is bad for your health.

For just PS3 games, I would to get:

1. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 & 2.5 HD Remixes

2. Ninja Gaiden trilogy (specifically 1, tbh)

3. Yakuza 3 & 4

4. Star Ocean The Last Hope (sorry, had to do 4!)

For non-PS3 games, from any PS platform, I'd love to see:

1. Legend of Dragoon (PS1)

2. Dragon Quest VIII (PS2)

3. Shadow Hearts trilogy (PS2)

I would Metal Gear Solid on this list, but MGS without Hideo Kojima is bad for your health.

there's an active thread where you can type which PS2 games you want to see on PS4, if you want: http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/33146-wishlist-of-ps2-games-on-ps4/

1. Bioshock 1

2. Batman Arkham Asylum

3. Dead Space

(4. Bonus : Fallout New Vegas, the soundtrack alone is worth it, would happily play this again whilst my spurs jingle jangle jingle :P )

arkham asylum and arkham city are getting remastered

1 Dragons Dogma

2 Medal of Honor 2010

3 Darksiders 1 

i'm suprised the didn't remaster darksiders 1 when they did darksiders 2

L.A. Noire

RDR

Metal Gear 4

If I had my way there would be no more remasters though, for I find them to be simple money grabs by greedy corporations too lazy to produce new IP. I've only purchased a few remasters that I can think of (TLoU, FFX and RE because these are some of my favorites of all time [traded for Nathan Drake Collection]). The only way I'll purchase another one is if I see marked improvements, e.g. bugs practically eliminated from RDR and game engines/character models/environments significantly polished. Anything else would frankly just be a waste of money I don't currently have.

L.A. Noire

RDR

Metal Gear 4

If I had my way there would be no more remasters though, for I find them to be simple money grabs by greedy corporations too lazy to produce new IP. I've only purchased a few remasters that I can think of (TLoU, FFX and RE because these are some of my favorites of all time [traded for Nathan Drake Collection]). The only way I'll purchase another one is if I see marked improvements, e.g. bugs practically eliminated from RDR and game engines/character models/environments significantly polished. Anything else would frankly just be a waste of money I don't currently have.

that would be true if it wasn't that 99% of the companies who does remasters are also developing new IPs and games at the same time, for example quantic dream remastering HR and Beyond and also developing Detroit Become Human, naughty dog remastering Uncharted and TLOU and also developing UC4 and their next IPs, etc. is not like the whole company is focusing all their efforts and resources to make those remasters, because the remasters are generally made by external companies or a small team of the same company, while the main/bigger team is focusing on creating a new game.

money aside remasters are created and useful to people who couldn't enjoyed them last gen (for example people who never owned a PS3 and they now own a PS4), no one is forcing you to buy them again, since like i said they are aimed to be played by people who couldn't and want to.

anyways if you want to see a good remaster with clearly improved graphics you can search a graphic video comparison of Dead Island PS3 vs PS4, which would be released at the end of the month.

Sorry, but the "remasters are good for people who missed the last generation" argument is by and large a copout. But to each their own, I suppose.

one probably has no excuse if its the case of a multiplatform game and you still owned an xbox 360 or whatever other platform you were playing on last gen, but i wasn't talking about that, what i was trying to say is that it would be more understandable if its about an exclusive game for PS3 for example, people who bought a PS4 instead of an XOne this gen (which from what I read there are many people who did that) will gladly accept a remaster of said old game instead of having to buy an old gen console too to play it.

there are even people who already played them last gen but still want a remaster of it just so they can play them with a better resolution, FPS and/or better graphics or they just want to plat them again, which seems to also be the case giving that the majority of remasters, specially exclusives games, tends to sell very good (like TLOU remastered, HR and Beyond Collection, the Nathan Drake Collection, RE1 remake, RE0, etc)

Edited by smellslikejavier

I'm a pretty firm believer that games that are already HD don't need to be remastered. Older games that look like crap on HD TV's on the other hand should get that focus, so...

Final Fantasy 12

Star Ocean Till the end of time

Suikoden 3-5

Xenosaga Trilogy

Def Jam Fight for New York

Futurama

DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 1-3

Max Payne

I know that's a lot more then 3, and believe me I could make that list twice as long, but there's just so many games I'd love to replay in glorious HD. These ridiculous devs insist on remastering games that don't need it though....

Sorry, but the "remasters are good for people who missed the last generation" argument is by and large a copout.

It's as much of a copout as the "developers would be developing new IP's if they weren't remastering old games" argument.  Considering the common rabble really have no idea how much time and effort really goes into a remaster, how often their production is outsourced or what kind of restructuring needs to happen organizationally to accomplish.  For all we know, the efforts could be outsourced or worked on by different studio branches that have no impact on new IP's... and the story probably changes from developer to developer.  Hell, these remasters could be the only thing keeping some of these dev studios afloat, which could actually help fund new IP's down the road.

And there's no telling either if this did lead to new IP's, that said IP's would be any good.  Maybe their efforts are better spent giving that little extra polish to their older classic titles.  Though I agree that is a strawman argument.

What we do know however... is that people are buying the remasters.  In droves.  Developers can't pump them out fast enough.  So someone is enjoying them... whether it's Xbox converts, people new to gaming or people double-dipping.  Not sure what makes your opinion any more relevant or less ignorant than theirs.

ON TOPIC:

The only one I think I really want off-hand would be the Mass Effect trilogy...

Though honestly, I'm a big fan of playing games on their original consoles, if I can.  I'll generally take the PS3 version of a game over the PS4 version, if the PS3 version came out first.  If the PS3/PS4 versions were released simultaneously, or intended to, then I go PS4.  With a few well-placed exceptions (like The Walking Dead Season Two for save game compatibility with future potentially PS4 exclusive releases, Borderlands Handsome Collection for 4 player split screen, etc).

Edited by Dreakon13

It's as much of a copout as the "developers would be developing new IP's if they weren't remastering old games" argument.

Isn't that what game developers are supposed to do by and large, though (come up with new IP)?

[...] the common rabble really have no idea how much time and effort really goes into a remaster, how often their production is outsourced or what kind of restructuring needs to happen organizationally to accomplish.

Care to enlighten me then as to how much time and effort goes into a remaster, how often production of said remaster is outsourced and what restructuring, if any, is needed?

And there's no telling either if this did lead to new IP's, that said IP's would be any good.  Maybe their efforts are better spent giving that little extra polish to their older classic titles.  Though I agree that is a strawman argument.

Indeed.

Hell, these remasters could be the only thing keeping some of these dev studios afloat, which could actually help fund new IP's down the road.

But this isn't?

What we do know however... is that people are buying the remasters. In droves. 

You and I both know what's wrong with this statement.

Not sure what makes your opinion any more relevant or less ignorant than theirs.

I wasn't aware I made the claim my opinion was more relevant than anyone else's, but if that's what you got out of it then I don't know what to tell you.

I swear people just find the most obnoxious ways to post to avoid functional responses and actually having a conversation. :rolleyes:

Isn't that what game developers are supposed to do by and large, though (come up with new IP)?

Game developers are supposed to develop games. Whether that means new IP's, entries into an existing franchise or, more recently with the advent of the internet, post-release support/content (free or paid; which IMO remasters would qualify under).

Care to enlighten me then as to how much time and effort goes into a remaster, how often production of said remaster is outsourced and what restructuring, if any, is needed?

I am a part of the common rabble. I don't know exactly how much effort goes into a remaster. I would assume less than a new game altogether, and I think that assumption would fall more under "common sense" and less under "prove it with cited documentation". There's a history of outsourcing ports/remasters in the industry, including our very own recent high-profile release in the Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection being done by Bluepoint Games, under Naughty Dog's supervision. Iron Galaxy is another example of a company that handles this outsourcing... having done the PS3 port of Destiny, the PC port of Batman: Arkham Knight and the Borderlands: The Handsome Collection remaster... in place of their original developers (Bungie, Rocksteady and Gearbox respectively).

Knowing that these scenarios are common enough to find examples with little effort, and a splash of that "common sense" stuff people love to hate around here, I can say with some confidence that a remaster/port doesn't automatically or instantly stop a new game or new IP from being created/developed.

How about you actually come up with tangible evidence of however it is that you believe the industry operates? Or is it just easier to say stupid things, debate my responses, and never feel obligated to "enlighten us" with any detail about your own?

You and I both know what's wrong with this statement.

I'm not sure what's wrong with that statement. The consumers dictate demand by what they choose to spend their money on. Remasters sell, and developers keep making them. That's just economics playing out in front of us (much to your chagrin it seems).

If you mean it's factually correct, but wrong because "people shouldn't be buying the remasters", then...

I wasn't aware I made the claim my opinion was more relevant than anyone else's, but if that's what you got out of it then I don't know what to tell you.

You attempted to make your side of the argument "more relevant" by claiming the opposing sides argument was a "copout", or less relevant.  If the main debating point of one side is debunked (not that you debunked it, though you tried without explanation, for some reason)... it strengthens the other side.  It's implied.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

I'm a pretty firm believer that games that are already HD don't need to be remastered. Older games that look like crap on HD TV's on the other hand should get that focus, so...

Final Fantasy 12

Star Ocean Till the end of time

Suikoden 3-5

Xenosaga Trilogy

Def Jam Fight for New York

Futurama

DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 1-3

Max Payne

I know that's a lot more then 3, and believe me I could make that list twice as long, but there's just so many games I'd love to replay in glorious HD. These ridiculous devs insist on remastering games that don't need it though....

there's already an active thread (with more than 500+ replies) where you can type which PS2 games you want to see on PS4, if you want: http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/33146-wishlist-of-ps2-games-on-ps4/

and Max Payne 1 is already available in HD on PS4, is more like an emulation rather than a remaster (its resolution has been changed to 1080p though) since it was released as part of Sony's PS2 emulation on PS4 that started on December last year.

there's already an active thread (with more than 500+ replies) where you can type which PS2 games you want to see on PS4, if you want: http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/33146-wishlist-of-ps2-games-on-ps4/

and Max Payne 1 is already available in HD on PS4, is more like an emulation rather than a remaster (its resolution has been changed to 1080p though) since it was released as part of Sony's PS2 emulation on PS4 that started on December last year.

Ah, yes, I just realized this thread was for ps3 games lol. My answer would have to be none then. Remasters make sense when its going from SD to HD. HD to HD is redundant.

And I know Max Payne exists but that's just an upscale. Remastered, at the very least, needs new textures.

Ah, yes, I just realized this thread was for ps3 games lol. My answer would have to be none then. Remasters make sense when its going from SD to HD. HD to HD is redundant.

And I know Max Payne exists but that's just an upscale. Remastered, at the very least, needs new textures.

yeah but since Sony started this PS2 emulation every PS2 game that was released and is going to be released in the future is going to be a 1080p port with trophies and some other things, not a remaster.

unless rockstar really wants to do a remaster for Max Payne someday on their own, otherwise every PS2 game on PS4 is going to be a 1080p emulation.