Borderlands: Back Online. No, Really.

damon8r351

Just throwing it out there for the plat hunters who wanted to play this but haven't because they heard Gamespy shut down the servers on May 31st. In truth, as of June 16th (and five minutes ago when I checked), the servers are still open, and a kicking party. Is that what the kids are saying nowadays, "kicking"?

While Gearbox was saying that they were moving the PC servers to Steamworks and "assessing the feasibility" of migrating the PS3 servers, it seems they assessed the shit out of that feasibility and kept the servers online. Or delayed closing them, I can't tell which.

EDIT: Appears I was wrong, the servers seem to be shutdown 21 days after they said they were supposed to go down.

EDIT: Servers seem to be back online, hopefully for good.

EDIT: Servers are offline again, I wish people would make up their mind.

EDIT: After months with no word, the online play is back and Xlink Kai is no longer required for the online trophies. See details here.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 2

Too bad GTA IV got boned. yes I know it was R* but let a man cry feel sorry for himself.    :(

Sure they gave us 6 years to get the plat.. but come on.. everyone knows we needed 7..

Seriously though, I'm sad.. this is good news though, hopefully they'll stay alive and 'kicking' see what I did there? for a good while longer. 

Edited by geogw
  • Like 2

If you guys can't discuss this topic without insulting one another, I suggest you don't discuss it at all then. If I have to delete more posts the parties involved will be getting warnings. Come one guys, we're better than this.

Parker

• Like 2

FYI - you can get "And they'll tell two friends" playing LAN mode or split-screen co-op against another PSN account that already has the trophy. 

So theoretically at least, the Borderlands platinum will remain possible even if the servers go down. You'll just need to take your PS3 to a friend's house...old school style.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 1

Yesterday I was playing Borderlands single player and kept getting kicked out of PSN. I thought it was an issue with PSN, or our internet, but after my wife played GTA Online for awhile with no issues, and I did an entire run up the mountain in Journey without getting kicked, it seems the issue is Borderlands. The menu on Borderlands freezes when you try to start on online lobby. Also you can't save your single player progress by exiting from the pause menu, you have to make sure you find a New-U Pole and save by walking past it. So it seems like I was wrong and the servers were shutdown 21 days past the date they were supposed to go down. So apologies for the misinformation.

Just wanted to throw my info into the ring and say that I too am experiencing the same issues that damon8r351 is having.

- When I click "online lobby", the menu freezes and my controller becomes unusable. The music is still fluid and Claptrap is still fully animated but, I can't move the cursor up and down or engage the PS button. If I remain frozen long enough, it signs me out of PSN.

- When I press the PS button to quit the game (on a second controller because I'm now forced to do so due to the first controller freezing), my PS3 freezes.

- Since the PS3 freezes, I have to do a hard reset which, in turn, forces a system restore upon restarting due to the PS3 not being shut off properly.

- When I click "LAN", it goes to the LAN menu but I'm immediately signed out of PSN and am unable to sign back in as long as the game/menu is still loaded.

This is extremely disappointing and frustrating.

As was stated earlier, the only trophy that requires online play is "And They'll Tell Two Friends", the rest can be done in splitscreen coop with a 2nd controller. So there's that at least. I have no idea if it works or not, but I'm posting the method to get this trophy via a local LAN match that I've found in this trophy guide on playstationtrophies.org.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WARNING: Do not delete your saves as the trophy is tied to at least one of them and not your PSN ID (credit toMsFuruba and stgermain for this info).

Note: The description ahas a typo in it. i.e it says "Played in a co-op game with either an employee of Gearbox or someone who had this trophy", it should say "has".

As of June 21st 2014 the only way to get this trophy is via a LAN match:

There is another way of getting this trophy by setting up a local LAN:

After you click LAN, you have 3 choices:

Join Game
Host Public Game
 (I know it says public but I'm sure the LAN match should have a certain range) (it found nothing when I clicked Join Game)
Select Character (You will default to a level 1 character, if you don't use this) (If the host starts will level 1 char, you will also start the game at beginning)

If you click Join Game it will search and find nothing. After it has tried 1 time it will stay on that screen and give you the option to Host Public Game, you can also back up to the previous menu. You can also press square18x18.png to Refresh List.

Player 1 (bcks007) picked Host Public Game. It brought me to the same exact screen as online mode, where you can jump into your game, i guess before the other person is ready or just wait there.(I waited there)

Player 2 (snowballtheninja) selected Join Game It found bcks007 in about 1-3 seconds, very fast. Trophy popped in the waiting room. I didn't even need to go into the level to earn it.

Credit to bcks007 and snowballtheninja for discovering this.

Even though the servers are now gone, you will still be able to get this trophy using the above LAN method but you must play with someone that got the trophy before the shutdown. Since the Stackable release is less common, it will be that much harder to find someone to setup a LAN with so beware. This trick may mean that this trophy could be considered as an offline one since you don't have to be signed into PSN to use a LAN. Whichever release you have, the trophy will pop during the load screen if you're joining someone or if someone joins you then it will pop moments before they spawn.

Can someone confirm if the servers are still up for the PS3 version as of today July 1? I checked on my 360 a couple days ago and it let me create a match but I couldn't find anybody (maybe people not playing around my level?). I would rather have this game on my PS than Xbox so I want to buy it for the PS3 but if I can't get that Tell Two Friends trophy it will drive me nuts not having the plat! I don't have any friends that have PS3 so I couldn't get it through LAN. Really hoping they are still up :o.

Thanks!

was chatting to a fella last night and he says the servers are still up, and even if the servers do go down the platinum is still obtainable. make sure to get the 'and they'll tell two friends' trophy outta the way as thats the only online trophy there. i think the rest can be done on splitscreen.

Servers have been back online for about a week and a half as of July 7th, I'm hoping for good now. I've helped a few people with coop trophies a couple times since they came back up, and everything seems to be working fine. I'm guessing the downtime at the end of June was them migrating servers.