Dragon-Archon's Lair of Platinums Mk.II

Dragon-Archon

8 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

:platinum: #152: Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix

February 26 2017

1L6da1d7.png

Finally a KH game that's completely new for me. This game takes place 10 years before KH1 and focuses on Terra, Ventus, and Aqua as they travel the worlds to restore the balance between light and dark. You can only play as 1 character at a time and to switch to another one, it's necessary to start a new game. All 3 stories must be completed to get the entire picture and each character has different events in each world, while the story converges in some small cutscenes and a few fights. Each character plays different, so they don't feel like clones with different skins. Terra is a tanky guy with higher hp and attack stats, his finisher gauge fills quicker, though he's also slow and has a terrible dodge. In fact, calling it a dodge is just insulting, it's basically a slide, as enemies can still hit him while sliding. Ventus is very agile and I'd describe him as a rogue class. He can attack very fast and dodge away too before most enemy attacks hit him. Aqua is the mage and is very proficient in magic, though does very little physical damage at the start. She has some amazing exclusive spells that tear through enemy groups with ease. 

I like the combat system in this game a lot. Magic and special attacks are placed in a deck and can be used after they've cooldown. With a bit of knowledge of the commands and abilities, it's possible to get strong commands and helpful abilities early in the game by melding them together. This makes Critical mode a lot easier compared to KH2, where the start is arguably the hardest part due to the lack of special attacks and abilities. Shotlocks are also a new mechanism, which are very powerful. These attacks lock on to enemies and with timed presses, it's possible to do additional damage. The third new mechanism are Dimension Links, which replace Drive Forms from KH2. Activating a D-Link completely heals you and gives you access to a set amount of commands. Leveling up a D-Link adds new commands and a new finisher.

Some things I didn't like was how the stories in each world was so short (as it's divided between 3 characters). Another thing I really disliked was completing the reports with all 3 characters. This basically means getting a 100% completion trice, which is a completely pointless grind. So doing all mini-games (and there are a lot), arena matches, beating all optional bosses, getting all treasure chests, commands, shotlocks, items, and command styles, defeating every Unversed, beating every Unversed Battle Mission with the highest rank, getting and maxing out every D-Link, unlocking all finishers, and using every shotlock and D-Link finisher. This easily adds lots of hours of pointless grinding. The optional boss Mysterious Figure is also a huge disappointment as Square Enix made it a luck-based boss for Terra and his crappy dodge. With the other 2 characters it's doable in 30 minutes. Though he has an insta-death move where a countdown timer appears. It starts at 5 ticks and when it reaches 0, it's game over. Mashing :cross: will break you free. This doesn't sound so bad, but the kicker is that the maximum amount of ticks decreases by 1 every time you get hit by it. It generally takes 3 ticks to break free, though it's possible to do it in 2 when mashing the controller a lot. Besides that, he can split into 5 clones, become invisible, throw dozens of orbs that auto-attacks the player, drop huge meteors, shoot exploding orbs of fire, stop time for players while he moves, and heal. Oh and once he turns invisible he combines lots of attacks. So yeah, a terribly broken boss. 

Congrats Dragon :) Sucks about broken bosses...that can ruin a game :(

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Yay, someone actually read the text ^_^ .Thanks Mayus :D . Luckily, it's just one boss that's broken. 

I know I always put effort into my reviews and I am like "does anyone read this :( "

I haven't tried the 2 spinoff games yet. I need to get to them eventually

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I know I always put effort into my reviews and I am like "does anyone read this :( "

I haven't tried the 2 spinoff games yet. I need to get to them eventually

Same here, I always read the thoughts of other people. It's interesting to see how others experienced games I've played.

2 minutes ago, Kent10201 said:

There is no such thing as a spinoff in Kingdom Hearts :P.

358/2 Days and Re;Coded do feel like spinoffs. 

15 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Well then Kingdom Hearts 10 or 12 should be coming out later and not 3 :)

Good point, although without the spinoffs the story would make no sense :).

17 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

358/2 Days and Re;Coded do feel like spinoffs. 

They're definitely my least favorite in the series but they both add a little bit to the story especially 358/2 Days.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

:platinum: #153: Severed

1Le80804.png

Somehow you and your family have been transported to another dimension that's filled with monsters and it's up to you to find them and escape. The story in this game isn't that great or detailed, but that's not the reason to play it. It's the game mechanics. This is one of the very few Vita games that makes good use of the touch screen. Interacting with objects and fighting are all done with touch controls and I had a lot of fun attacking, parrying, and slicing enemies. Each enemy type has a unique attack and parry style, which adds to the variety, though later in the game stronger versions are introduced and those usually have the same patterns. Defeating bosses also grants the player new powers that can be used to solve dungeons and during fights. When the fury bar is filled, killing an enemy starts a QTE with the possibility to sever certain parts from monsters. These parts are used to upgrade powers, which is a great incentive to sever as many parts as possible during every fight. In fact, I severed so many parts that all powers where fully upgraded before reaching the farming spot at the end of the game. Finding all secrets in the game wasn't so hard as the map marks rooms with secrets and unexplored paths are marked in grey. The game is very short (I platted it in 6 hours and 23 minutes while taking my time and dying a few times), though it was a very fun ride. If you have a Vita, definitely check this game out.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 3

My save file for Severed is around 6 hours and 30 minutes and that's while backtracking and getting stuck on several occasions. If you know the game inside out you can probably get all the trophies in less than five hours. I think the reason Severed has somewhat long 'time to platinum' times despite being only five to six hours long is because the Vita's battery only lasts a few hours anyway. So you go and get it charged again.

Terrific game in my opinion. The only difficult part was the mountain fight with the dragon. It's pretty easy otherwise.

I decided to buy both of Drinkbox's previous games. I'm thinking of doing Guacamelee soon, but for right now I'm pretty busy getting real life stuff done which is why I haven't been playing much the past couple days.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

My save file for Severed is around 6 hours and 30 minutes and that's while backtracking and getting stuck on several occasions. If you know the game inside out you can probably get all the trophies in less than five hours. I think the reason Severed has somewhat long 'time to platinum' times despite being only five to six hours long is because the Vita's battery only lasts a few hours anyway. So you go and get it charged again.

Terrific game in my opinion. The only difficult part was the mountain fight with the dragon. It's pretty easy otherwise.

I decided to buy both of Drinkbox's previous games. I'm thinking of doing Guacamelee soon, but for right now I'm pretty busy getting real life stuff done which is why I haven't been playing much the past couple days.

Yeah, it's a real hidden gem for the Vita. For me the hardest fight was with the Cryptolith. Completing the game under 5 hours is definitely possible.

Let me know if Guacamelee is any good. After Severed I'm willing to try out other games from DrinkBox.

7 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Yeah, it's a real hidden gem for the Vita. For me the hardest fight was with the Cryptolith. Completing the game under 5 hours is definitely possible.

Let me know if Guacamelee is any good. After Severed I'm willing to try out other games from DrinkBox.

Yeah he was a bit of a pain but for me not as bad as the dragon on the mountain. I nearly burned my fingers getting rid of him, pain in the butt he was.

I already have plans to hit 100 platinums this year with games I already chosen but I may substitute one game for Guacamelee. It's supposed to be challenging, but I'm up for it.

• Like 1

:platinum: #154: Super Time Force Ultra

1L5223eb.png

In the 80's Earth is invaded by a robot army just as one professor unlocks the secrets of time travelling. What follows is the creation of the Super Time Force, whose goal is to make Earth a better place for everyone by fixing stuff throughout time. This game is filled with humour, that alone makes it worth to play it. For example saving the dinosaurs from becoming extinct causes them to live in the present and they eat humans. Definitely making life better for everyone :awesome: .

In the game the objective is to beat the level within the allotted time (like the old Mario games). However, it's possible to rewind time when dying or screwing something up and do it again. During levels there are also time shards that slows down everything except the player for a few seconds and glorbs that add extra rewinds. An optional thing are speedruns and completing them all adds a very OP character to the team, but that isn't required for the plat. Other characters are added after rescuing them in levels, collecting all time shards + glorbs, and completing the game. Each character has unique attacks and abilities. For example a guy with a lightsaber can throw it and also use it to reflect bullets. It's also possible to save a dying party member and acquire their charged attack. One character can get up to 2 other charged attacks, so there are lots of combinations possible. A favourite one mine was a barrier that repels almost every attack with a rocket launcher and a gun that fires through objects and enemies. When needing to do some crowd controls, I'd go for a rapid fire machine gun with homing scarfs from the character from Journey and the arc rifle from Sir Galahad from The Order 1886.

Besides the story mode there are also 50 Helladeck levels. These are basically challenges to collect all glorbs with restrictions, such as time limit, limited rewinds, and limit characters to choose from. Some of these are easy, others are annoying and requires perfect timing. Completing all of them adds a powerful character to the team and he comes in handy during Super Hardcore Mode, where characters stay dead for the entire levels, unless they're saved. When completing a level, they're available again, so it's not really perma-death.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Thanks, which games are those?

The Sly games which I've been back and forth as to whether I should try, Ys Memories of Celceta, and Tales of Hearts R if it's on a system I own.  All games I'd heard of but had never really seen anyone say if they liked them or not.  You and I seem to have a decently similar taste in games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alternatewarning said:

The Sly games which I've been back and forth as to whether I should try, Ys Memories of Celceta, and Tales of Hearts R if it's on a system I own.  All games I'd heard of but had never really seen anyone say if they liked them or not.  You and I seem to have a decently similar taste in games

Ok, have fun with those. I enjoyed Ys and Tales of Hearts R a lot. The Sly games are funny too. 

:platinum: #155: Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3: V Generation

1L02f949.png

The third main game of the Neptunia series. This game had its pros and cons. It takes place in the same dimension as Hyperdimension mk2/Re;Birth2 and the story is funny. Plutia is a nice addition and her personality takes a 180 degrees turn when transforming into Iris Heart. Both friend and foe isn't safe from her sadistic personality. The final boss was also nicely done. The money grind was also a lot shorter than in Re;Birth1 as it only took 50-60 minutes to get to 50 million credits and grinding lily ranks could also be sped up thanks to some plans. Some things I didn't like was not having a real healer until the last part of the final chapter of the true and good ending path. The normal ending didn't even have that character available. In this game Compa isn't playable, so Rom takes over as a healer. In the meantime Plutia and Nepgear have some healing spells, but they can't revive or remove status effects. Stella's Dungeon was also a huge chore to do, so I eventually gave in and bought a DLC to speed this up while also keeping her equipment when dying. It was only €1, but I still felt cheated as this DLC was also released for Re;Birth2, so the developers could've just added it to the game. That DLC also came with a plan to increase EXP a lot, so I downloaded the free DLCs that increases the lvl cap from 99 to 999. Ended up with a party of around lvl 300 characters after obtaining the plat, so decided to do some of those DLC Colosseum matches that have a recommended lvl of 200 and 300.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I have a question about Dragon Age: Origins Awakening

Is there a Longsword in Awakening that`s More or just as powerful as Starfang?

I need to kill a certain Harvester on Hard(There`s no way I`am doing it on Nightmare)

I need to kill a Varterral on Hard too but I wait for that to Rain Day

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glenn Radars said:

Hey I have a question about Dragon Age: Origins Awakening

Is there a Longsword in Awakening that`s More or just as powerful as Starfang?

I need to kill a certain Harvester on Hard(There`s no way I`am doing it on Nightmare)

I need to kill a Varterral on Hard too but I wait for that to Rain Day

Yeah, you can bring an ancient dragon bone from the haunted marsh area to the smith and create an OP longsword from it. Your answers to the smith's questions will decide what kind of stats the sword will have. Check this page for more info.

10 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Yeah, you can bring an ancient dragon bone from the haunted marsh area to the smith and create an OP longsword from it. Your answers to the smith's questions will decide what kind of stats the sword will have. Check this page for more info.

Thank You, I shall find that ancient dragon bone and Have Wade make the Vigilance(I found out I can`t Import Starfang, There goes my dream of dual wielding Two powerful Longswords)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Glenn Radars said:

Thank You, I shall find that ancient dragon bone and Have Wade make the Vigilance(I found out I can`t Import Starfang, There goes my dream of dual wielding Two powerful Longswords)

Good luck :D . Yeah DLC armour, weapons, and accessories don't transfer between Origins and Awakening, though there used to be a glitch that caused the stats from equipped DLC items to permanently be added to the character's stats. Not sure if it still works. I used that when going for the Harvester on Hard and had the Blood Dragon armor, Starfang, and a bunch of DLC accessories equipped when defeating the Archdemon. Though the combined fatigue from Blood Dragon Armor and Armor of the First drained stamina really fast when using skills.

Also bring respec tomes for the dwarfs, better equipment for them, and a bunch of nature salves for the boss fight against the Harvester. They're completely useless otherwise.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

On 28.5.2017 at 6:41 PM, Dragon-Archon said:

Good luck :D . Yeah DLC armour, weapons, and accessories don't transfer between Origins and Awakening, though there used to be a glitch that caused the stats from equipped DLC items to permanently be added to the character's stats. Not sure if it still works. I used that when going for the Harvester on Hard and had the Blood Dragon armor, Starfang, and a bunch of DLC accessories equipped when defeating the Archdemon. Though the combined fatigue from Blood Dragon Armor and Armor of the First drained stamina really fast when using skills.

Also bring respec tomes for the dwarfs, better equipment for them, and a bunch of nature salves for the boss fight against the Harvester. They're completely useless otherwise.

I have Imported my Warrior to Awakening... and to my surprise she was not in her underwear, don`t know that showing up in their underwear is a sign of stats from equipped DLC items to permanently be added to the character's stats glitch. My first Warrior that I Imported to Awakening did show up in his underwear(the only male character I made and used in a Dragon Age game)

that respec tome is a good thing, I used it on the two funny men and my Warrior to try it out(at least I got rid of that Sword and Shield skill I don`t need)

need to save 2/3 respec tomes right? I bought 10 respec tomes

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Glenn Radars said:

I have Imported my Warrior to Awakening... and to my surprise she was not in her underwear, don`t know that showing up in their underwear is a sign of stats from equipped DLC items to permanently be added to the character's stats glitch. My first Warrior that I Imported to Awakening did show up in his underwear(the only male character I made and used in a Dragon Age game)

that respec tome is a good thing, I used it on the two funny men and my Warrior to try it out(at least I got rid of that Sword and Shield skill I don`t need)

need to save 2/3 respec tomes right? I bought 10 respec tomes

Ok, you can always reload the Origins save file and change the equipment right before beating the Archdemon. 

Yeah, the respec tomes are very useful. You get one for free in each DLC, but IIRC that one is restricted to the Warden-Commander, so you need 2 for the Harvester DLC and 3 for the Varterral DLC. I definitely recommend Spirit Warrior specialization, other good ones are Champion, Templar, and Guardian.

Just now, Dragon-Archon said:

Ok, you can always reload the Origins save file and change the equipment right before beating the Archdemon. 

Yeah, the respec tomes are very useful. You get one for free in each DLC, but IIRC that one is restricted to the Warden-Commander, so you need 2 for the Harvester DLC and 3 for the Varterral DLC. I definitely recommend Spirit Warrior specialization, other good ones are Champion, Templar, and Guardian.

so if I have not killed the Archdemon before Importing I`am screwed?

then I have Saved Vigil's Keep that would be a good save file to use, Good my Warden-Commander is already a Champion and Templar, then she hit 20 I pick Spirit Warrior or Guardian

• Like 1