PlayStation 4 Controller Now Works Wirelessly With PlayStation 3

Lady Lilith

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-4-controller-now-works-wirelessly-with-playstation-3/1100-6420866/

2584443-7586035386-23087.jpg

When the PlayStation 4 launched last November, Sony made the DualShock 4 controller compatible with the PlayStation 3 if it is plugged in via USB charge cable. With recently-released update 4.60 to the PS3, you can now use a DualShock 4 wirelessly to control PS3 games. A post on Reddit details the new feature, which simply requires you to pair a PS4 controller with the PS3 using Bluetooth.

Unfortunately, the PlayStation button, vibration, and Sixaxis tilt controls still do not work. But you can now turn on the PS3 using the DualShock 4's PS button, which was not possible before.

You can see the step-by-step guide to pairing a DualShock 4 with a PS3 below.

1. Select "Manage Bluetooth Devices" under "Accessory Settings" in the PS3 settings menu.
  2. Select "Register New Device," then start the PS3's bluetooth scanning.
  3. While it's scanning, press and hold the share and PS buttons on the DualShock 4 at the same time until the light bar starts blinking.
  4. The PS3 should then detect the controller, which will appear as "Wireless Controller.'
  5. Select the controller and complete the pairing.

This will not turn on both a PS3 and PS4 simultaneously if the consoles are close together. The controller must be re-paired with the PS4 before it can be used.

Seems like it'd be weird to use a PS4 controller on PS3 with these limitations...

• Like 1

Not that I'm complaining but the controller is still pretty much half-baked with the current limitations, It would have made alot more sense just to give the controller full functionally if possible

It's really weird that they can't get the PS button to work. It means you have to pick up the DS3 anyway to exit a game, which is daft.

I've been using the DS4 wired for some time now. I doubt I'll change to wireless as it will add the inconvenience of having to re-pair with PS4 the whole time. If they could get the PS button to work I'd make the switch permanent for one of my DS4s as I vastly prefer it to the DS3.

This would be perfect if they got the ps button to also work. i think the led light in the back of the DS4 doesn't come on sometimes when you use it on ps3, so that may extend the battery life as well. :)

Edit: just tried to do this and it wouldn't work for me. I tried pressing both Share and PS buttonb together, but the lights didn't blink. I tried while my ps4 contoller was still connected to the ps3 with the usb cable. Am i suppose to disconnect the cable?

Edited by Ryumoau

This would be perfect if they got the ps button to also work. i think the led light in the back of the DS4 doesn't come on sometimes when you use it on ps3, so that may extend the battery life as well. :)

Edit: just tried to do this and it wouldn't work for me. I tried pressing both Share and PS buttonb together, but the lights didn't blink. I tried while my ps4 contoller was still connected to the ps3 with the usb cable. Am i suppose to disconnect the cable?

Yeah you gotta disconnect it first.

And this is great for me, my Bravia lets me use the remote to control the PS3 so I can use the remote for the PS button  :lol:

Edited by NIALLERMANBUZ