Rumor: 720 may not play Used Game

Artemisthemp

Source - http://kotaku.com/58...roduce-kinect-2 + http://kotaku.com/5879033/next-xbox-out-in-octnov-2013-chips-already-being-made

According to rumor will 720 be 20 € more powerfull than WII U and have Blu-ray (still not region free confirm).

IT also seem 720 will have a System making used game impossible to play (Killing Online Pass and used sale for it)

I doubt they would block used games... There's really no benefit as they aren't the producers of many games such as how Nintendo is to the Wii. Blocking used games would crush sales of any system and send them directly to the competition.

If they are on board with such a dumb move, and PS4 hops on the bandwagon, the PS3 will have been my last console purchase for a very long time!

• Like 1

Well, I guess this is how they plan on stopping actual hard copy distribution of games. If systems can't play used games, then the video game retailers (IE GameStop) will go out of business and then only retailers like Wal-mart, with their limited available shopping libraries, will be left. So either you buy those lesser-selling titles off the web or you get it in DD form.

Great way to hurt the industry all in hopes of making a couple extra bucks.

Which is not dependent on # of sales... Arguably MSFT could collect more On the license of they guarantee no second market sales, but they wouldn't profit directly off of only allowing new games to work in the console.

However, they could charge a higher royality fee and justify it by promising no used game money losses.

That will never happen. Lawsuits would hitting be Microsoft left and right and there consumer acceptance would plummet. Do you really think Microsoft doesn't know that? The rumor problem came about from the janitor overhearing two paper pushers bullshitting about something stupid like this over coffee break.

My opinion is it is more of a way to deal with the online part of games than the entire used game market. Just my opinion though. :)

That will never happen. Lawsuits would hitting be Microsoft left and right and there consumer acceptance would plummet. Do you really think Microsoft doesn't know that? The rumor problem came about from the janitor overhearing two paper pushers bullshitting about something stupid like this over coffee break.

My opinion is it is more of a way to deal with the online part of games than the entire used game market. Just my opinion though. :)

You can't do a class Action Lawsuit agains Microsoft (You had to agree on that in the latest Dashboard update)

"If Microsoft follows through with this technology, my guess is that publishers would blackball Sony and Nintendo into the same thing; for example EA would refuse to create games for Sony’s next gaming system unless it has the same technology or something similar to prevent used games. If you want Battlefield 5 on the PS4 you need to have a used games prevention technology or else kind of thing. Would this technology discourage you from buying the next generation Xbox or PlayStation?"

MY ANSWER: YES!

Quoted from...

http://whatculture.c...-technology.php

Its a tactic to put the squeeze on Sony and Nintendo... it really is just a dick move to try to gain a better foothold on the gaming industry...

Here is Microsoft’s response to the article:

“As an innovator we’re always thinking about what is next and how we can push the boundaries of technology like we did with Kinect. We believe the key to extending the lifespan of a console is not just about the console hardware, but about the games and entertainment experiences being delivered to consumers. Beyond that we don’t comment on rumors or speculation.”

This is the first time that I have heard Microsoft respond to any rumor about their next generation console, meaning even though this is just a rumor for now; the fact Microsoft even responded to the article and the wording of this response indicates to me that they are definitely looking into anti-used games technology.

also taken from the same site...

Kinda silly if you ask me... they would only be doing a dick move like this to get the other two companies to start investigating the same technology or otherwise fail (Microsoft hoping that failure is where they land)... Microsoft came to the table with one thing in mind back when the first Xbox came out and that is to take over the gaming industry (who wouldn't try that?)... but now they are just turning this into a distasteful war with hits below the belt... and you know that developers LOVE Microsoft for many reasons... This is just the icing on the cake...

If all of this is true then it will kill the gamer inside of me... but it will give me plenty of time to catch up on all of my backlog of PS3 games because i won't be buying a PS4... and i don't care if i sound like a whiny little bitch... And if i haven't said it enough... DICK MOVE!!!

• Like 1

blu ray? so sony will be making money off the 720 too, if that makes sense???

Actually it does... personally I'd like to thank MS for the epic FAIL of not including an HD-DVD player INSIDE their machine. That one lil blunder ended the format war in one simple stroke. Thankfully, you now don't need 2 movie players as HD-DVD is dead and there aren't exclusive movie rights for sale for different players.

Maybe this is a little far and they are planning to limit achievements to new games only, similar to the vita?

I don't care because I don't care to own a Microsoft console anyways. Most devs (like EA) Will probably like this at first, but then when the 720 doesn't sell so well (hence game sells don't sell well) then those compaines will move to PS4.

I really just don't see gamers accepting this and going along with it.

Maybe this is a little far and they are planning to limit achievements to new games only, similar to the vita?

I don't care because I don't care to own a Microsoft console anyways. Most devs (like EA) Will probably like this at first, but then when the 720 doesn't sell so well (hence game sells don't sell well) then those compaines will move to PS4.

Yeah, its a dumb idea... and im not sure where they are trying to go with this... maybe Microsoft is trying to gain suport from the devs so that they can do something like this... it probably wont pan out for a couple reasons...

1. Microsoft can gain the support of the devs until they realize that they are loosing out on one to two thirds of the sales...

or

2. Microsoft doesn't gain the support of the devs and they choose not to go through with this stupid idea

The Vita rumor has come back as a fake.