I usually don't trust/like reviews, but this one seems reliable.

Kamaros_

Hey guys, to all of you who played the game, i'd like to ask what you guys think of this review (one of the few that is out there).

http://nzgamer.com/reviews/2130/destiny.html

Some quotes that I find worth mentioning

"It’s for this reason that, despite it being a decent enough game, I feel so let down by Destiny. I was expecting something mind-blowing, but what I got was an enjoyable, but generic and unremarkable sci-fi shooter that does little to push boundaries, and stumbles with the few innovations it does attempt."

"Even Venus, a lush, tropical world (and the only one that’s not a dusty, desert wasteland) feels more like diorama in a glass bottle than a living, breathing world."

"Revolutionary? It’s anything but. Destiny is often described as a massively multiplayer online (MMO) game, one in which hundreds or thousands of players all co-exist in the same space - not necessarily playing together, but interacting with one another, and being part of something bigger. Destiny is more of an MMO-lite, it has the persistent world and occasional run-ins with other players, but with three basic actions (wave, point, and dance) as your only means of communication, the social aspect is all but null and void."

Seriously, a game supposed to be an MMO and you can't even properly communicate.

"but the core of Destiny’s main campaign is more of an “online singleplayer” game."

"Sadly, anyone wanting to play through a variety of game modes in one session without having to back out to matchmaking every time is out of luck, as there are no playlists of any sort for the Crucible."

Originally I was hoping for some reviews to come out, to decide whether or not to buy the game, since I was worried about the endgame and didn't like the beta so much.

I don't want to be a hater, I just want to ask the opinion of those who have played the game, what do you think of this review and if you agree with it?

It's impossible to give this game an above 8/10 score because the story is non existent and the missions are basically 'Follow the marker, Hold :square:, Kill enemies, repeat. It's going to get repetetive at somepoint, but the crucible is very enjoyable and it's still a blast to play with friends.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot that the lack of game modes in crucible bothers me... Where the hell is capture the flag?

Edited by LovesAnInjection
  • Like 2

I can only speak for myself and say that the review doesn't seem very reliable at all. Then again, reliability of a review depends on who you ask. I don't care about PvP at all so couldn't care less about any perceived deficiencies regarding the Crucible as you couldn't pay me to go into it. The lack of communication wouldn't really bother me either because in my MMO experience it's not that often I've actually encountered people worth communicating with. The majority are typically out for themselves or only there to grief other players.

I will say though that they clearly fell for the hype and now feel let down and that's more their fault than the game's fault. But then again I think that getting all excited for a game based solely on hype is not too far off from believing that these really aren't the droids you're looking for.

Edit (not worth a separate post just for this): I forgot to put too that the repetitive aspects of it doesn't bother me because I already knew that's how pretty much all MMOs are, especially since most MMOs are MMORPGs and we all know RPGs can be repetitive and grindy. 

Edited by BooneJusticius
  • Like 1

I can only speak for myself and say that the review doesn't seem very reliable at all. Then again, reliability of a review depends on who you ask. I don't care about PvP at all so couldn't care less about any perceived deficiencies regarding the Crucible as you couldn't pay me to go into it. The lack of communication wouldn't really bother me either because in my MMO experience it's not that often I've actually encountered people worth communicating with. The majority are typically out for themselves or only there to grief other players.

I will say though that they clearly fell for the hype and now feel let down and that's more their fault than the game's fault. But then again I think that getting all excited for a game based solely on hype is not too far off from believing that these really aren't the droids you're looking for.

The problem nowadays is precisely that, most games is involved with a huge hype and ends in disappointment

• Like 1

The problem nowadays is precisely that, most games is involved with a huge hype and ends in disappointment

Obviously because people expect too much nowadays. If a game is fun, then it's fun, there's not much else too it. Think that way and you'll enjoy life and games a lot more.

I love the game, I knew from the start people had to high of expectations for it.

The game is great, it is only getting bad reviews because people thought it would be the next The Last of Us and believed what they imagined the game to be, not what the game presented itself to be.

I don't know about haters. What I do know is that my wife, who's been all about this game since she played the alpha, has spent a cumulative 16 hours in the last couple days since she got it playing the game and hasn't been disappointed in the least. Of course, we've both learned how to read between the lines of publishers' prerelease bullshit, see past all the hyperbole, and actually get a rough understanding of what we're getting for our money. It's a lesson you eventually learn playing games for awhile: publishers will tell you anything to get you in the stores to buy their product. Like when before Final Fantasy VI was released, Squeenix was telling people there was "literally" hundreds of hours of available gameplay in the game. Sure, if you run around in circles killing monsters and building levels, there's hundreds of hours of gameplay. I don't remember how long the story was, but it was not no "hundreds of hours of gameplay", I can tell you that much. Or like that scene from The Witcher III gameplay preview video where the guy is walking through that village, and everything seems so alive and bustling. How much you want to bet that's what you see in the opening 5 minutes only, then it's back to NPCs walking in circles because it takes a shitload of juice to do that for the entire game? They do that all the time, they frontload the best things to get you in the door with your money. Learn to see past the bullshit, set your expectations to a reasonable level, and you'll eventually be less disappointed about new games.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 2

It's impossible to give this game an above 8/10 score because the story is non existent and the missions are basically 'Follow the marker, Hold :square:, Kill enemies, repeat. It's going to get repetetive at somepoint, but the crucible is very enjoyable and it's still a blast to play with friends.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot that the lack of game modes in crucible bothers me... Where the hell is capture the flag?

Repetition and lack of diversification is a big problem, it is almost the same problem as Assassin's Creed 1, I found the game fantastic when it came out, but because it is so repetitive it made the game boring and no longer fun.
Obviously there are other examples in which a certain grind is required, mostly MMO's or to get a trophy.

I don't know about haters. What I do know is that my wife, who's been all about this game since she played the alpha, has spent a cumulative 16 hours in the last couple days since she got it playing the game and hasn't been disappointed in the least. Of course, we've both learned how to read between the lines of publishers' prerelease bullshit, see past all the hyperbole, and actually get a rough understanding of what we're getting for our money. It's a lesson you eventually learn playing games for awhile: publishers will tell you anything to get you in the stores to buy their product. Like when before Final Fantasy VI was released, Squeenix was telling people there was "literally" hundreds of hours of available gameplay in the game. Sure, if you run around in circles killing monsters and building levels, there's hundreds of hours of gameplay. I don't remember how long the story was, but it was not no "hundreds of hours of gameplay", I can tell you that much. Or like that scene from The Witcher III gameplay preview video where the guy is walking through that village, and everything seems so alive and bustling. How much you want to bet that's what you see in the opening 5 minutes only, then it's back to NPCs walking in circles because it takes a shitload of juice to do that for the entire game? They do that all the time, they frontload the best things to get you in the door with your money. Learn to see past the bullshit, set your expectations to a reasonable level, and you'll eventually be less disappointed about new games.

Yeah, I think we all learned from it especially after watch dogs.

The review does bring up some points here and there, such as the RPG mechanics being too simple, which i agree on. On other points, it doesn't make much sense to me. First the writer complains about the game being too accessible for casuals on either side and the gun mechanics being just like any other shooter, then he/she whines about strikes being too difficult. The review also pretty much says "Raids aren't out yet, but i'm sure they'll suck anyway". First half valid complaints, second half whining.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think we all learned from it especially after watch dogs.

For Watch Dogs, I expected another sandbox adventure game from Ubi Soft, replacing assassination with hacking, and that's what we got and I haven't been disappointed in what little I've seen. That glorious scene with the main character walking down the street, the wind whipping the trees and his jacket around? That's an example of studios putting their best foot forward to get you in the door. Like I said, it happens all the time. I fully expected that scene to either be something that happens in the first 5 minutes to hook you in, or something that was modelled on a high end computer to generate hype. They've been doing stuff like that for decades. That's what I mean about learning to look past the hyperbole. Understanding that they'll do stuff like that to get you interested, and learning to look beyond that to see what you're really getting and deciding if you're satisfied with it.

Well for starters, it's way too short to even be considered an MMO.. the story is meant to be 8-10 hours long, an average MMO will at least take you a good 60-100 hours to complete the main story, lets not get started with end-game being literally hundreds and hundreds of hours as that is when the game starts for most.

Only time I noticed in the Alpha that this even looked like an MMO was the town area.  Everywhere else is just like a normal shooter, get dropped into a map randomly with like several other players, not like 200+ players.

I think it was a game that was hyped a bit too much, was never going to be a day one purchase for me, I will get it eventually but given how short I heard the main story is, I'll definitely be waiting a bit longer now.

I think people were expecting too much from this game in the 1st place. I never thought of this game as a MMO. And if you bought it hoping for a MMO, of course your going to be disappointed, because it's not a MMO in its roots. Now, if you bought the game hoping for a fun, interactive, sci-fi shooter, then you probably are enjoying it. It'd be like buying Uncharted 3, hoping for a good couch coop, even though online coop is very minimal when it comes to the overall experience.

I think people were expecting too much from this game in the 1st place. I never thought of this game as a MMO. And if you bought it hoping for a MMO, of course your going to be disappointed, because it's not a MMO in its roots. Now, if you bought the game hoping for a fun, interactive, sci-fi shooter, then you probably are enjoying it. It'd be like buying Uncharted 3, hoping for a good couch coop, even though online coop is very minimal when it comes to the overall experience.

It's bungie's fault, saying that the game will be an revolutionary MMO and that they have 500 million to spent.

But yeah, we learned from Watch Dogs that you can't trust dev no more.

Also, thanks for all the replies guys.

Except they were advertising the game as an MMO, and they built it like an MMO. All the commercials were about playing Destiny with friends, teaming up and fighting big enemies with players from around the world. They have the tower, which is like a safehouse in any other MMO. You do missions, PVP events, and raid boss fights to earn different marks, which are then used to buy special armor and weapons.

Uncharted 3 was never advertised as a great couch coop game (even though I love the couch coop stuff in it). It was always advertised as a story driven, adventure game.

I do agree that some people, including myself, expected too much. I was hoping for a huge FPSMMO, that I could play for months. After playing the Beta, I realized what it was going to be, and decided not to buy it (yet). So I can understand people being disappointed, even having buyers remorse, but that's what happens when you let yourself get too hyped for something.

We've seen this happen before. People see a few pre rendered videos, or they hear something that sounds great, and they expect the game to be amazing. It happened with Skyrim, Watch_Dogs, GTA Online, and others.

• Like 2

Except they were advertising the game as an MMO, and they built it like an MMO. All the commercials were about playing Destiny with friends, teaming up and fighting big enemies with players from around the world. They have the tower, which is like a safehouse in any other MMO. You do missions, PVP events, and raid boss fights to earn different marks, which are then used to buy special armor and weapons.

Uncharted 3 was never advertised as a great couch coop game (even though I love the couch coop stuff in it). It was always advertised as a story driven, adventure game.

I do agree that some people, including myself, expected too much. I was hoping for a huge FPSMMO, that I could play for months. After playing the Beta, I realized what it was going to be, and decided not to buy it (yet). So I can understand people being disappointed, even having buyers remorse, but that's what happens when you let yourself get too hyped for something.

We've seen this happen before. People see a few pre rendered videos, or they hear something that sounds great, and they expect the game to be amazing. It happened with Skyrim, Watch_Dogs, GTA Online, and others.

See as I see it you just described Borderlands, and if that's the case, they advertised this game perfectly. Fun, repetitive missions to do with friends. Of course, that brings up a totally new issue... Maybe they didn't expect people to interpret it as a MMO or maybe their advertisements were misleading. It might not be a bad game, but if you were expecting a MMO, you're disappointed for sure.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

All valid and interesting points. My thoughts from about 16 hours of gameplay in SP, MP, strikes and exploration are below:

The good:

• First of all, it's very addictive. The loot-grabbing aspect is just as enjoyable (if not quite as diverse) as something like Borderlands, and the gameplay is extremely fun and satisfying
  • There are some beautiful environments. I could just look up to the sky in most places and be happy :)
  • The music is also amazing. As epic as Halo, and really sets the mood well (combat, exploration, menus, etc.)
  • The MP is very fun; extremely satisfying using your super (regardless of what it is), and the vehicles and weapons are varied enough to keep it interesting
  • Exploring the planets on 'patrol' is fun; especially with friends. Searching for dead ghosts and gold chests is as fun as you expect it to be :P
  • The strikes are fun and satisfying; especially with friends. Some are also quite hard with a massive group of enemies, and supposedly the raids are much harder again!
  • The sparrow is super-fun to just hop on and zoom around in :P
  • The character models and abilities are quite good; I enjoy looking at my (and everyone else's) characters to see what they've done differently

The not so good:

• Single-player missions and story are extremely bland. Basically every single mission is 'go down into this area, kill a few dudes, get your ghost to start something, then fight off waves of enemies', and I couldn't tell you any details about the story to this point apart from the fact that all the enemies are trying to invade Earth
  • The world is quite small, and the maps aren't very varied. They all have a similar structure (starting area connected via paths to a few other inside and outside areas, and one 'enemy base' area where you have a few missions). For a game that they expect us to play for many years, I thought there would be a larger number of more varied areas (at launch anyway; I know they're releasing more later, but considering the time and money they spent on this game, I expected a bit more)
  • The RPG elements are quite simplistic. Sure, you can get new and different guns and armour (and this is quite fun), but all the 'materials' you get aren't really all that useful for much. You can upgrade some weapons/armour with them, but most of the upgrades don't give you that much; it's quite simple too, with things like 'slightly different sight' or 'carry more ammo for this gun'

In summary, while I'm having a lot of fun with this game, I can't see myself coming back to this game for a long time unless that continue to drop a lot of new content over the coming weeks and months. I'm not too keen to spend $30AUD for a single new expansion either; so there had better be some free content! I didn't have massive expectations for this game, so I'm enjoying it thoroughly, but it's not quite the 'revolutionary and groundbreaking' game that they kind of said it was going to be.

8/10 (so far) for me :D

• Like 2

Destiny was about what I expected of it due to the alpha and beta.  I was pretty content with what I got from it so far.  Might drop money on the expansions if they seem worth it.

All devs need to do is release more demos.  Let me try the game instead of watching some guy act like hes playing the game on stage.  Leaving me wonder how much this will be like the final product.

Virtually no AAA game demos are on PSN, XBL, or even Steam it seems anymore.

I am loving every minute of it.

I'm playing with a regular group of friends and alot of the fun is the social integration which is one of the core elements that Bungie built the game out of. If you play this as a single player experience without chatting to people through a headset then you are missing out on a huge element of what makes the game what it is.

I have friends who played this from start to finish and complained that it was too short. If you just play the storyline and don't then go for gearing up, raiding and hard modes then you have failed to understand how this game is meant to be played.

Other friends, play the story as a stepping stone into the meatier parts - end game content and gear itemization.

• Like 1