Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Gameplay Videos Inside!)

The latest gameplay video got me excited and I really enjoyed the last trailer, especially that BGM.

Hope MGO 3 is a hit among the masses who will be picking up this game, its weird how we're not seeing a beta even though MGO 2 got one.

Awwww, that sucks. Would have loved to see a beta of it ;-;

It was Solid and Liquid. Solid Snake cut and dyed his hair before the events at Shadow Moses (MGS1) so no one would confuse him with Liquid. 

Until September 1st we cannot know the truth.. IMO, they're too similar to be Solid and Liquid.. The clothes, the necklace, the hair.. and the "Solid Snake dyed his hair" is a stupid legend,  even if they originally planned on making his hair blonde, that never made it into the final cut (the MGS1 briefing present this error left over, and even that Liquid skin should have to be darker than it was in the final cut) Therefore, it's non canon.  The canon story is "Solid Snake has brown hair"  just like Big Boss, cause he is Big Boss's Dominant Clone (although he has inferior soldier genes) as reported in MGS4 database ;).

I'd like to think that's a clone of the original Liquid Snake..... the Genetic Soldiers are all "brothers" of Liquid, as he stated in MGS1, who knows.

However, last words to Kojima ;) Solid Snake's hair could be getting darker along the years.

Edited by alebrego

Until September 1st we cannot know the truth.. IMO, they're too similar to be Solid and Liquid.. The clothes, the necklace, the hair.. and the "Solid Snake dyed his hair" is a stupid legend,  even if they originally planned on making his hair blonde, that never made it into the final cut (the MGS1 briefing present this error left over, and even that Liquid skin should have to be darker than it was in the final cut) Therefore, it's non canon.  The canon story is "Solid Snake has brown hair"  just like Big Boss, cause he is Big Boss's Dominant Clone (although he has inferior soldier genes) as reported in MGS4 database ;).

I'd like to think that's a clone of the original Liquid Snake..... the Genetic Soldiers are all "brothers" of Liquid, as he stated in MGS1, who knows.

However, last words to Kojima ;) Solid Snake's hair could be getting darker along the years.

Oh yeah, you're right. Can't believe I missed that lol. Kojima did say this game would retcon a lot of things and create further plot holes in the story though, so who knows. 

A clone of Eli would be interesting. No idea how they would implement that in but I trust Kojima; whatever the explanation is i'm sure he handled it well.

The Genome soldiers were "brothers" in the sense that they had Big Boss' genes in them, but they weren't clones. They were just normal soldiers that underwent gene therapy - they had Boss' genes implanted in them to enhance their abilities [Gray Fox underwent a similar thing].

As far as Solid Snake's hair is concerned - it's not actually known whether his hair is naturally blonde or not. It's never really mentioned one way or the other. In the Twin Snakes briefing, we see his hair as brown - but that doesn't really mean he doesn't dye it [Or, as I'll mention/explain later, that it wasn't blonde at one point in his life.]. In MGS2, he was originally meant to have blonde hair, his Pliskin concept art showed him with it - both the hair on his head, and his beard were blonde. On top of that, Shinkawa himself stated that he was likely blonde.

Both the original MGS1 briefing, and the updated Twin Snakes briefing state that Solid and Liquid are identical, other than skin tone. They don't say their hair was different.

Even the MGS2 script in, I believe, The Document of MGS2, mentions Solid's hair being blonde.

Raiden regains his composure and turns the gun on the wounded man. // Man (Pliskin): Hold on, I’m not an enemy. Calm down. // Raiden’s aim remains unwavering. // Man (Pliskin): My name is S... // He (Pliskin) is about to state his name, then checks himself and searches around for a false one. // Man (Pliskin): Pliskin. Iroquois Pliskin. Lieutenant Junior Grade. // Raiden does not answer. The man pulls off his balaclava with one hand to reveal a head of blonde hair and the face of a man in his 50’s. His face is stubbled; there is no bandana is sight. His appearance approximates that of Liquid Snake in the last title. Raiden continues to stare him down.

Another, plausible idea: it's quite possible that Solid's hair was blonde as a kid, and became dark brown as he got older - not that uncommon. Big Boss could easily have been the same - we never saw him as a child, after all, and we don't actually know his heritage. Plus, different environments can have a drastic effect on things like hair color.

I'm doubtful the other person seen is Solidus - I don't think he'd look identical to Solid and Liquid, at least, not at this time. I figure he'd look more like a teenager - older than the two of them, while still actually being the same age. Depends on when his accelerated aging actually kicked in, and how fast it actually progressed [Remember, Solidus looked exactly like old Big Boss during MGS2, while Solid still looked fairly young.]

Edited by Fox
  • Like 1

The Genome soldiers were "brothers" in the sense that they had Big Boss' genes in them, but they weren't clones. They were just normal soldiers that underwent gene therapy - they had Boss' genes implanted in them to enhance their abilities [Gray Fox underwent a similar thing].

Yep,  I Know they aren't really brothers, but i think that before producing the genome soldiers, scientists had to do a lot of experiments, and cloning-Liquid could be one of those experiments.. Who knows.. That guy could be also one of the other six fetus ( if Liquid lies in MGS1) 

As far as Solid Snake's hair is concerned...

Another, plausible idea: it's quite possible that Solid's hair was blonde as a kid, and became dark brown as he got older - not that uncommon. Big Boss could easily have been the same - we never saw him as a child, after all, and we don't actually know his heritage. Plus, different environments can have a drastic effect on things like hair color.

I vote for that "plausible idea" of yours :)
I can't believe that Naomi did the injection, than cut&dye to Snake  :P  is there a chance that a secret unit has a brown tint in a secret US submarine in the Bering Sea? 
Edited by alebrego

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. Been disappointed too many times by Kojima but worst case scenario MGS V is a 7/10 game and not the 9 or 10/10 it's been hyped up to be.

Also when it comes to the trailer, I like how its playing around with themes such as language and memes, like MGS2. 

''Sans Lingua Franca, the world will be torn asunder...'' man what an awesome line.

• 2 weeks later...

Knowing Kojima we're probably gonna be like "WHAT" when we find out, but that makes it more enticing for the wait.

It'd be awesome if it shows Snake swimming up to Outer Heaven at the end and teases Metal Gear 1 but I doubt that'll happen. xD

That'd be an awesome way for the game to end, though there's an 11 year gap between TPP and MG (Depending on what happens in the game of course).

I'm still optimistic that somehow there'd be another game to bridge that gap.. but considering the state of the Kojima Konami debacle it may be a fools dream.

• Like 2

So, Yong has finally, FINALLY finished his analysis of both the long E3 2015 trailer, and the shorter E3 trailer. And no wonder it took so long - he went super in-depth on this one, analyzing both the trailer itself and the dialogue within it. Video is almost 2 hours long, so set aside some free time if you plan to watch it.

He brought up a good point regarding the two Snakes at the end as well - Solid and Liquid..or David and Eli, as it were, supposedly never met before the events of MGS1. The other note he makes, is that they are identical. And not just identical twins - literally identical, from the clothing, down to the small scars they both have. So, he mentions that it could possibly be Decoy Octopus in that last scene...which I actually like the idea of. We don't really know much about him, short of him being from Mexico. With both Liquid and Mantis being here, and the events of this game likely leading us to find Sniper Wolf, it wouldn't be a surprise to see the rest of the "Sons of Big Boss" appearing in a younger form here.

He also states that the other "Snake" could actually be Psycho Mantis disguising himself as Liquid - which would also be plausible. Like he mentioned, even though the DGN isn't canon, who's to say Mantis wouldn't have the ability of Psychic Dissimulation? It at least shows they've thought about it, and messed around with it before.

Edited by Fox
  • Like 1

So, Yong has finally, FINALLY finished his analysis of both the long E3 2015 trailer, and the shorter E3 trailer. And no wonder it took so long - he went super in-depth on this one, analyzing both the trailer itself and the dialogue within it. Video is almost 2 hours long, so set aside some free time if you plan to watch it.

He brought up a good point regarding the two Snakes at the end as well - Solid and Liquid..or David and Eli, as it were, supposedly never met before the events of MGS1. The other note he makes, is that they are identical. And not just identical twins - literally identical, from the clothing, down to the small scars they both have. So, he mentions that it could possibly be Decoy Octopus in that last scene...which I actually like the idea of. We don't really know much about him, short of him being from Mexico. With both Liquid and Mantis being here, and the events of this game likely leading us to find Sniper Wolf, it wouldn't be a surprise to see the rest of the "Sons of Big Boss" appearing in a younger form here.

He also states that the other "Snake" could actually be Psycho Mantis disguising himself as Liquid - which would also be plausible. Like he mentioned, even though the DGN isn't canon, who's to say Mantis wouldn't have the ability Psychis Dissimulation? It at least shows they've thought about it, and messed around with it before.

All these theories are just making me even more excited for the game. The release is getting near yet still off. T-T