Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Gameplay Videos Inside!)

I bet that blonde kid he's fighting in the trailer is child Raiden.

Edit: Also, that piece of shrapnel is huge, I bet he gets the urge to pull that out.

The blonde kid cannot be Raiden, because he was born in early 80´s and the game happens at 1984, my bet goes for Liquid with his 12 years by the time of Phantom Pain.

The blonde kid cannot be Raiden, because he was born in early 80´s and the game happens at 1984, my bet goes for Liquid with his 12 years by the time of Phantom Pain.

I agree with this :) I think that it is Eli who will later be revealed through the game to be a young LIquid Snak

This seems to be a very common thing when Kojima likes to play with the Metal Gear fans :D 

See some of what I just read made sense, much did not. Having played 1 and 2 back on the PS2 I'm a long way behind. Is there anyway I can catch up without having a PS3?

I see the original MGS on psn for the Vita. I see an HD remastered pack of 2 and 3 also on the Vita. But I see no way to play MGS 4 without a PS3. And I don't even know where Peace Walker fits in. 

My question is, as much as I'd like to play from the start, how much will it matter if I don't, heading into the Phantom Pain essentially a MGS virgin?

Something I find interesting about this latest trailer is that it shows that Master Miller (Kaz) loses a half an arm and also the lower part of the opposite leg. But the artwork and designs for Master Miller from Metal Gear Solid 1 show him looking fine with all limbs intact.

Master_Miller.jpg

Unless I am being blind and this is actually the artwork for Liquid Snake when he was disguised as Master Miller, just thought I should throw this out there though :) 

See some of what I just read made sense, much did not. Having played 1 and 2 back on the PS2 I'm a long way behind. Is there anyway I can catch up without having a PS3?

I see the original MGS on psn for the Vita. I see an HD remastered pack of 2 and 3 also on the Vita. But I see no way to play MGS 4 without a PS3. And I don't even know where Peace Walker fits in. 

My question is, as much as I'd like to play from the start, how much will it matter if I don't, heading into the Phantom Pain essentially a MGS virgin?

You would not be missing much, you see, from a timeline perspective, this is the order you should play them:

- Metal Gear Solid 3

- Metal Gear Portable Ops (but that only be played on a PSP and the important plot points are covered in the next game, still a good game if you get the chance)

- Metal Gear Peace Walker (also available on PSN for Vita)

- Metal Gear Solid Ground Zero and The Phantom Pain (which we still don't know how long it will cover)

- Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 (these two are the first games, they were done for MSX and luckily, if you buy MGS3 you will be able to play them BUT they are not for everyone, they are really old games and if you are not a fan you might not like them)

- Metal Gear Solid 1 (this is the one on psone that you can also buy for Vita)

- Metal Gear Solid 2 (Also available for Vita)

- Metal Gear Solid 4

So, as you see you can play almost all the games on your Vita with the exception of Metal Gear Solid 4 but covering your question, to go into Ground Zero and The Phantom Pain you would have to play Metal Gear Solid 3 & Peace Walker (not counting Portable Ops as you might not be able to play it). If you do tackle all the games, you would only miss the ending of the saga on MGS 4, which can be read anywhere on the Internet nowadays.

• Like 1

Something I find interesting about this latest trailer is that it shows that Master Miller (Kaz) loses a half an arm and also the lower part of the opposite leg. But the artwork and designs for Master Miller from Metal Gear Solid 1 show him looking fine with all limbs intact.

Master_Miller.jpg

Unless I am being blind and this is actually the artwork for Liquid Snake when he was disguised as Master Miller, just thought I should throw this out there though :)

That is indeed just Liquid disguised as Miller.

Miller was dead, likely before MGS1 started. If you listen carefully, even during the first CODEC call with "Miller" - you can hear the sound of a chopper's rotors in the background - signalling that it isn't really him.

Sadly, there is no official artwork of Miller from MG2 - at least, not full body art work. That's why the only thing you can find is "Master" Miller.

The only art I can find of Miller is his head sprite from Metal Gear 2. The newer version which was used in the Subsistence version of MG2 that more closely resembles Liquid's portrayal -

Miller_MG2_5217.gif

I know this is more general Metal Gear Solid speculation rather than news on The Phantom Pain but I stumbled along this earlier and it got me thinking..... 

340801.gif

Could it be possible that Skull Face and Psycho Mantis are one of the same as both the scars around there mouths are almost identical and his face managed to heal through years of wearing that gas mask? 

I know this is more general Metal Gear Solid speculation rather than news on The Phantom Pain but I stumbled along this earlier and it got me thinking..... 

340801.gif

Could it be possible that Skull Face and Psycho Mantis are one of the same as both the scars around there mouths are almost identical and his face managed to heal through years of wearing that gas mask? 

Not doubting this, because you never know with Kojima

But who would be this guy then?:

ku-xlarge.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...