Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Gameplay Videos Inside!)

• 2 weeks later...

I hope MGSVPP on PS4 has effing custom soundtracks, i both have MGSVGZ in PS3 and PS4 and honestly the only thing I noticed in the PS4 was better graphics. Having played it first in PS3 with Rules of Nature as heli music was an awesome experience. Anyways guys if ya have the game already spoil me the details if the PS4 ver has no custom soundtrack so I can eat donuts and drink cola and shame Sony in advance ok thanks. Yeah I blame Sony for not letting the PS4 have custom music, I mean many games can utilize that function.

BTW here's a video

https://youtu.be/VP0dNijW630

Edited by ikki_asura

The first released review was by JeuxVideoMagazine, a French magazine bypassing the embargo on the 23rd. The scores given are

Gameplay 4/5

Graphics 4/5

Soundtrack 4/5

Lifespan 4/5

Overall 17/20 (8.5/10)

Now I'm no mathamagician, but shouldn't 4+4+4+4 result in a 16/20?

Anyway, I found a translated summary on reddit:

"Summary:

From his Intro, he sound like he played all the mgs.

He consider TPP less "crazy" than the previous "or cryptic and elitist"

He then say for the first hours he was completely into it. That it's rich and polished.

But then he started to have feeling of weariness and repetition. He say it's linked to: the way this game is, the open world not really mastered and a "diluted" narrative.

While you don't need to go to mother base, you absolutely need to take time to manage it.

Non lethal weapons take a lot of time to unlock while lethal one come much faster but are useless (because you absolutely need to improve your base)

You can get "stuck" in the main story because in multiple case you need to unlock a specific gadget. This can cause some annoying "leveling". He say in PW it wasn't a big issue but here repeating a mission take much longer because of the map size.

The PW mission system in an open world isn't that good: It make missions much longer, and the map size is "underexploited" with just some plants and animals to fulton here and there.

The game revolve around camps infiltration, it lack of variety. But of course you can vary your approach. He say Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight have more type of activities. He acknowledge MGS isn't supposed to be a jack of all trades but...

but that MG game are built around their stories. And here after a magnificent start cut-scenes get sparse and the storyline is shady until the end. Even with the whole puzzle he had trouble getting what this was all about.

He say maybe there is a true end to unlock that could explain stuff to hardcore fans. And that the storyline still progress after the end.

You can unlock harder variations of existing missions with specifics challenges (no weapon, no alarm,...)

He say that the game was "fascinating" (©Spock). Even with "only" infiltration it's fun, especially if you like to experiment and are curious.

Gameplay time was: 55% of infiltration, 15% of rage against himself or the difficulty, 5% of cut-scenes and 25% of Mother Base menus.

After 2h he finished the prologue, after 20h he got a bit stuck because he didn't develop MB enough. He saw the end around the 45h mark and played at least 50H.

You can't use every abilities of your sidekicks from the start (linked to their trust), they become more useful with time.

Game is constructed in "episode" (1 per mission) and seem to be made to be played slowly. Which he think is why they worked more on the "infinite gameplay" than on the plot.

He think maybe Koijma is trolling us with the plot and only some select few will unlock the answers. Or maybe he just couldn't make it the last.

He imply the trailers spoiled too much interesting stuff

GAMEPLAY (4/5): He said it has the best manoeuvrability in any MGS, with a lot of possibilities but implies some are dispensable (so hum, 4/5 because it's a lot to learn ? It's true this could be an issue for average players)

GRAPHICS (4/5): Game is clean but he think it suffered a bit from having to be released on previous gen (on a personal note I think they had to make choices because the new gen hardware isn't decent enough to allow clean 60fps without sacrifices).

SOUND (4/5): He basically liked it. And there is a lot of 80s tracks.

LIFESPAN (4/5): >40h but he repeated he felt weary after some time

CONCLUSION: Rich gameplay, repetitive missions, story that promise an lot but doesn't deliver much. Good game but difficult to figure out. "Kojima's last enigma ?""

Overall is sounds like the reviewer really didn't like infiltration missions, and felt the story took a back seat while the gameplay got repetitive over 50 hours. I can't read French, but from the summary above I feel the reviewer was more negative than positive. If you want to discredit this particular reviewer, apparently they were very critical of the game at preview events, and they even gave Watch_Dogs a '18/20'. I'll reserve judgement until the 23rd when the bigger reviewers post their reviews, I don't think my hype level took a hit after this review.

To compare TPP's scores to other reviews by the same magazine:

"Grand Theft Auto V - 18/20

The Last of Us - 19/20

The Witcher 3 - 19/20

Watch Dogs - 18/20

Metal Gear Solid - 18/20

Metal Gear Solid 2 - 19/20

Metal Gear Solid 3 - 19/20

Metal Gear Solid 4 - 17/20

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - 17/20

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 14/20"

1440086867686.png

Edited by Saltyie
  • Like 1

What models are you talking about? Care to explain a bit more?

The character models themselves, when you isolate them from lighting and anything else that could influence the way they look, are pretty low poly, outdated by current gen standards, and decent for last gen standards. To put it into perspective, Adam Jensen has 22k polygons on his model and Nathan Drake has some 20-24 in the first game. The only thing that prevents MGS V from looking terribly outdated is its lighting, which makes everything look 10x better.

Despite that though, its still noticeable that they're not very up to par. There is a noticeable difference in visual fidelity between one time of day and another [mornings look much worse than dawn/night in Ground Zeroes, for example] in another game, higher poly models would compensate for this and the game would look consistent across the board [The Witcher 3 looks great no matter the time of day, or take inFAMOUS: Second Son for another example of that], and on top of that skin just looks moldy/plastic at times. Quiet being an example of the latter, and Big Boss being an example of the former.

The game still looks really good good, but if you compare it against next gen games it doesn't hold up well. Sorry if my rant was incomprehensible haha.

• Like 1

Would like to than sir Saltyie for the info regarding that French review of the game. YUP that's what I expected from the game, with all the details from all trailers, twitter and interview answers from Konami, and all the spoilers and news popping out from everywhere. Haha wow good thing I ain't a super die hard fan of the Metal Gear franchise, because many will be butthurt and will hate Kojima and his unfulfilled promisses which he didn't said himself hehe.

Anyways if the story seems blurry, I feel Konami might pull DLC for that.

Even though the CE came back in stock at GAME recently, I opted to get the shopto steelbook edition instead:

Metal-Gear-Solid-V-The-Phantom-Pain-Stee

I only want the CE for that arm anyway, but if a full-sized one ever released I'd snap it up.

I looked at Shopto's dispatch FAQ too, and they say they only dispatch on Mon-Fri, and since Monday the 31st of August is a Bank Holiday in the U.K, I hope they'll dispatch my copy on Friday instead  :devil: .

Edited by Saltyie
  • Like 1

First, I'm going to play through MGSV(play it and enjoy it). Then, I'll play MGO(it's like crack, I need my fix and Im ready to relapse). Later, Try to plat/100% MGSV. That should take me through the end of the year. B)

Btw, am I the only one that is more excited about MGO3 than MGSV? Does that make me a bad person? :P

• Like 1

First, I'm going to play through MGSV(play it and enjoy it). Then, I'll play MGO(it's like crack, I need my fix and Im ready to relapse). Later, Try to plat/100% MGSV. That should take me through the end of the year. B)

Btw, am I the only one that is more excited about MGO3 than MGSV? Does that make me a bad person? :P

A fellow MGO comrade!!!  :highfive:

Dood, I'm excited A LOT for MGO 3, but my excitement is also still for the campaign as well.. this is my final MGS game to platinum. :) Can't wait to see MGO 3 full of life day 1 and I hope we can get people from PSNP to join in as well.

A fellow MGO comrade!!!  :highfive:

Dood, I'm excited A LOT for MGO 3, but my excitement is also still for the campaign as well.. this is my final MGS game to platinum. :) Can't wait to see MGO 3 full of life day 1 and I hope we can get people from PSNP to join in as well.

As long as it doesn't turn into the MGO Community Support Page. :unsure: There was alotta rage there lol. Cheating will always be there, hopefully there isn't a lag-switch/ddos fest like towards the end of MGO2.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to play MGSV, but I guess I've been spoiled. I know that I'm going to have fun and enjoy playing through the story. MGS games are of those that have replay value, even after you unlock everything there's still something new to discover.

• Like 1