Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Gameplay Videos Inside!)

While I may still have a slight bit of trepidation in regards to the game-play, there's no denying that that was a spectacular trailer. And with Ocelot, Huey Emmerich and Master Miller all making an appearance, the story should do an admirable job of filling in those blank years of Big Boss' rise to prominence.  As a long time Metal Gear fan, I was slightly drooling by the trailer's end. 

• Like 1

This is the highlight of E3 for me as I am such a huge fan of the Metal Gear franchise. The scene they showed of Big Boss spreading the ashes into his face and just stood there covered in it was such a powerful image to see. 

I really do need to get a move on and buy Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes as I still haven't gotten around to even playing that yet :(

metal_gear_solid_5.jpg

Edited by razza123-

I looks like a piece of shrapnel from an explosion, Maybe got it wedged into his head from the crash site shown at the beginning of the trailer.

If I am wrong and he gets in it in MGS V Ground Zeroes please don't spoil it for me :P   

There's just so many things going on in that trailer I don't even know where to start. One of the parts that interested me the most is the section where two (I presume) Diamond Dogs soldiers are fighting out in the rain. At first I thought it was just a training exercise thing like at the beginning of Peace Walker until I noticed some of the other soldiers trying to restrain them, yet while others were cheering on the fight. Then a couple of scenes later you see the soldier drawing the knife, and a few more after that what appears to be the same section with Big Boss forcing that same soldier to stab him in the chest in a way that speaks "If you would be willing to stab your comrade, then you are willing to stab me."

Just the mixed reactions from all the soldiers, along with the scene of the soldier aiming his laser sight at Big Boss from the opposite chopper, and that end scene obviously, really seems to me like there's going to be division between the ranks of Diamond Dogs. It will be interesting to see, perhaps the men will not agree with the new direction Miller and Big Boss seem to be going on their dark descent into violence. Not to mention that the fact that he's seem to be peacefully riding in the same vehicle as Skull Face, if they're working together I'd imagine not everyone would be happy to see their leader hand in hand with the man who destroyed Mother Base. Especially not Kaz considering what he lost. Perhaps that's the breaking point that would make the two men stand against each other, and that would leave Miller to refer to Big Boss as a monster when Solid Snake faced him in Zanzibar Land.

Ah man this trailer just has my mind going crazy with theories, I can't wait for this game.

What's your favorite in the franchise, so far? 

MGS 3 is a masterpiece can MGS 5 beat it? :P

I'm in agreement with you and Gota, Snake Eater is my favorite (one of my favorite games of all time, actually) but I really do think The Phantom Pain has the potential to best it. Not only does it control much better (judging by Ground Zeroes) the story seems to be even more badass and awesome than it was in Snake Eater, judging from that trailer at least. 

Parker

his_pic02_zoom.jpg

So, something I noticed.

If you go to the official Phantom Pain website, in the "Progress" section, you can see timelines. One showing a comparison of all the maps from Metal Gear 1, to Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes against the size of Phantom Pain's.

A timeline showing the various iterations of Solid Snake and Big Boss from Metal Gear 1 to Phantom Pain.

But the one that stuck out to me is the timeline showing the various Metal Gears.

The other timelines showed Metal Gear 1 and 2 content - the maps, and sprites of Solid Snake.

Where are the TX-55 and Metal Gear D? Where's ZEKE from Peace Walker? Did they somehow forget them? Or are they hinting at the possibility that Phantom Pain leads directly into MG1...or maybe even 2? The Metal Gear in the trailer does look a little bit like TX-55/D. The reverse jointed legs, and what looks like a missle pod on its right shoulder. Granted, TX-55 and D were more round...but it's possible they could redesign it..or it could be a prototype - a bridge between ZEKE and the others.

Just seems odd that they would leave out the very first Metal Gears while having other important things from the other games - like maps and character sprites.

Edited by VicXOF

Does someone recommend me to purchase MGSV: The phantom pain DLC? This week is very cheap at PSN like $12 or so, but I'm still not sure.

Are you talking about Ground Zeroes? If so, I'd definitely recommend a purchase, especially at only $12.

Parker

I bet that blonde kid he's fighting in the trailer is child Raiden.

Edit: Also, that piece of shrapnel is huge, I bet he gets the urge to pull that out.

Nope its not Raiden as he was trained as a child solider by Solidus Snake, My prediction is that is Liquid Snake. And I also believe we will end up seeing Solid Snake as well making an appearance in this title as well as a young solider :D

Edited by razza123-
  • Like 1

Its nice to see so many Metal Gear fans. Since this trailer released I really can't stop watching it. I have to agree with Parker in that this game could certainly take the crown as the best entry in the series. So looking forward to this games release.