Where should I start?

JokerBringsChaos

I have watched a few anime episodes and stuff here and there but I never really sat down and watched an entire season and i would really like to start getting into anime more.....SO....where should I start? What was your favorite? What show got you hooked on anime? Favorite anime movie suggestions? And if you have any suggestions at all I'm taking notes! :)

well for me the show that got me hooked back in the day was Dragon Ball Z. as far as movies..... Akira has always been one of my favorites. other suggestions. attack on titan, dead man wonderland, elfin lied, beserk, naruto, naruto shenpudin, castern sins, high school of the dead, death note, hellsing, ummmm and im drawing a blank. let ya know if i think of more. oh and trigun

Edited by funboy1246
  • Like 3

I got into anime after reading mangas. My addiction with manga started with Dragonball! 
I really recommend Dragonball, but only the main series, I don't like GT, Z or any of those lol. Z is okay though!

One Piece and Naruto is the two main ones you should watch / read.
The crappy part with Naruto is all the fillers, wich you only get in the anime. Naruto Shippuden is ending soon to, and it will have an last movie. But I think there will be an third ''installment'' of the franchise :P (Don't know what to say, thus why I said Installment haha)
But One Piece is great! I totally recommend you to watch One Piece.

I prefer reading. And Naruto and Dragonball I would rather read. 
One Piece has bad animations but I would actually rather watch the anime anyways.. 

Other than DB, Naruto, and OP. You should read Attack on Titan. Im waiting for the Marvel / Attack on Titan spin-off, seems cool as fudge! :D
My friend says Death Note is great, but I couldn't ever get into the series. But maybe you can!!
Umm... Well Full Metal Alchemist you should also watch. I enjoyed Full Metal Alchemist for as long as I watched it lol. Haven't watched it all because of lack of intrest!

For movies though. Well almost every anime I mentiond has an movie or several movies tied to them. But you HAVE to watch EVERY Studio Ghibli movie. They're GREAT. Especially Tonari No Totoro (My Neighbour Totoro) Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo :D

• Like 1

Code Geass there isn't an anime out there with a better anti-hero.  Death Note comes close but the second half of it takes a sharp dive. Naruto is good but I would recommend looking online for all the filler episodes and skipping over them.  One Piece also good but I wouldn't recommend watching both One Piece and Naruto side by side a bit to much Shonen Jump.  The same thing could be said for Bleach and Dragonball.

Spice and Wolf is good not any real action to speak of but the characters and story are top notch.  Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is the opposite of Spice and Wolf in that it is almost nothing except over the top action.  Durarara!! is a nice introduction to more character driven stories and the supernatural element keeps things intriguing.  

Katanagatari is probably tied for my most favorite anime ever.  Though I would recommend putting this one off until you've seen some other anime because this thing is pretty much all about the characters and their interactions and each episode is like 50 minutes long so it can be a bit much.  Finally if you're looking for something old school and you like space operas then I would highly recommend The Legend of the Galactic Heroes.  This thing came out in like the 80's but if you're looking for something long and features a conflict between two galactic powers you won't find anything as good.

Edited by MrKittyEmperor

I don't know what kind of anime you like but it's best you just start with the popular ones. A few anime that are great for getting you into it are, Fullmetal alchemist, Death note, Code Geass, Fate/Zero, Kill la Kill, Attack on Titan (all action/adventure/supernatural oriënted). You can always look for popular/high rated anime here: http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

Once you've watched a bit you can start with the long running shounens, if you like that genre. And/or start watching the new anime of the season. 

Site to see wich anime is currently airing: http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/seasons/fall-2014

As for movies.... check out kara no kyoukai it's a series of 8.5 ish movies. I've only watched the first 5 but those were already amazing! Also check out wolf children , the girl who leapt through time  and ofcourse the classics such as Akira & every studio ghibli movie.

Edited by xZoneHunter

I recommend my favorites for each genre:

- Ouran High School Host Club (romance/comedy)

- Welcome to the N.H.K (Slice of life/drama)

- Seto no Hanayome (Comedy/parody)

- Kaiji the Ultimate Survivor ( psychological/gambling)

- Attack on Titan (Action/shounen)

Btooom! ( videogame based)

- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni ( Horror)

- The World God Only Knows ( Fantasy/Harem)

As for movies I recommend : Ghost in the Shell , Akira ,The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Any of Studio Ghibli movies

• Like 1

hmmm... I recommend trying to complete a season of an anime with a genre that you like, or you could try to brace your self and start watching long running anime like One Piece, Naruto, Fairy Tail etc... but if you really needs recommendation for kinda short anime, probably:

- No Game No Life (supernatural + comedy + some Ecchi) - 12 episodes and somehow make you want it to have second season

- Azumanga Daioh (Comedy + Slice of Life) - 26 episodes

- Rainbow: Nisha Rokubō no Shichinin (Drama + kinda Historical) - 26 episodes

- Full Metal Alchemist (Adventure + Science Fantasy) - this has 2 anime.. one with some anime only plot and ending(since it has been released while manga is still on going) and another one that follows the manga... first one has 51 episodes... the second one(brotherhood) has 64 episodes

- Sword Art Online (Action Adventure Drama) - first season has 26 episodes and 2nd season is still on going with 17 episodes so far (and counting)

for movies... hmmmm... I recommend Detective Conan Movies(Detective Fiction)... really enjoyed them all... but if you want some background about the movies (which is somehow unnecessary I guess), brace your self to watch since it has 700+ episodes so far...

Kind of amazed no one has mentioned Cowboy Bebop.  I mean... Cowboy Bebop!  Cartoon Network has been running the same 26 episodes for something like a decade because it's so good and taking it off just leaves a hole that nothing else can fill.  Same with Ghost in the Shell.  Both are more mature series, featuring adult main characters instead of teenagers, and since they're both relatively short (One Piece, Dragonball, Naruto, and Bleach all clock in at over 300 episodes) it's not going to be a major time investment to see if you like them or not.  One Piece is closing in on 700 episodes, I think, so... that may be something to consider.

Given that my anime period was a while back, a lot of the series I would suggest aren't the most current, but I suggest checking out Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Samurai Champloo, Monster, and Mushishi.