Your impressions?

Rubieno

I walked on my wife playing it after the midnight release and sat down to watch awhile, and I wasn't impressed by the graphics of what's supposed to be a next gen game. Everything looks glossy and shiny, yes, but that's part of the problem. Everything looks too polished, there's no grit, like they shoved the game out the door before they were finished tweaking the graphics. To me, it looks like something you'd see if you were invited into a beta of the game. In gameplay, all the characters look like they're wearing shiny hair-helmets instead of having hair. In cutscenes, the characters don't quite fit into the background so there's a bit of a thin white line that appears around them occasionally. I'm quite tolerant when it comes to graphics, but not when it looks unfinished, and this game looks graphically unfinished to me and I blame the fact that they scaled things down to not be competitive with the Xbox version. I've seen PC footage of Unity and it looked better, but console versions look like crap. Maybe the over-polished look has something to do with where you start out when you begin the game, because you start out in a pretty rich place it seems, I don't know. I'm sure it'll turn out to be a decent game, but my first impression on the graphic presentation turned me straight off.

EDIT: I sat down for a little bit more to watch a few minutes ago, and after a release day patch it seems like they tweaked some things and it does look somewhat better. Both my wife and I agreed it was pretty unbelievable how bad it looked late last night.

Edited by damon8r351

Unfortunately it seems like I might have been right to be critical of the assassin creed series a little while back.  A lot feedback is pointing to a rushed game it seems here from what I've read.  I can't believe how many Assassins games are listed on "A".  It's almost laughable how many games they've pumped out.  I've only played a 1/4th of them and I'm burnt out by the "stories".   My favorite one, was the one with connor, but I think since it was based on the American revolution... Half the world didn't like it.  : )   I'm looking at about everybody in the UK.  I'll admit I've enjoyed them and bought them, but they've never blew me away.  My eyes have opened up to the sad reality the route money and greed does to these games and more specifically, people in general.  It's all about money.  It's all about power.  It's simply time they bury this franchise. 

I don't enjoy being so critical, but the sad truth is as they have put out a game a year... The quality has dissipated.  To each their own, but I'd like to think ubisoft could do a hell a lot better.  The 1 a year just screams what I wrote above.  It's selfish of me to say in a way that they should just end it as some people probably love this series on the level I enjoy dead space, and in a way that's why I'm as passionate as I am when it comes to these methods by the cod's and ac's.  I believe there's so many other games and genres out there that could be tapped into, but since they know they have a sturdy flow of money from the average joe and their moms this will continue. 

Edited by SilkyJay86

I actually quite like it. I am a diehard Assassin's Creed fan though, and there hasn't been a single game I didn't love (I was originally disappointed with AC3, but replaying it it's one of my favorites). I'm having trouble getting used to the new free-running mechanics, as I kind of thought 3/Black Flag had perfected it, but it's not bad.

I think the graphics look great. Not anything jaw-dropping but it looks good and realistic and I'm not too harsh when it comes to graphics.

Battle is something that I at first thought sucked, but then realized received a much-needed overhaul. There is no more counters, which at first I was like "WTF!?" but I've realized how much better it is now. In previous games there was always this fake sense of stealth. They would say "Either kill everyone or go stealthily", but why would you ever go stealthily if there is no reason too? In every previous game you had the ability to cut through 100 enemies like butter in a minute. Now, three enemies pose a threat. I honestly love that, it really makes you think about who to engage in battle and when you should lay low.

I also think that the story is, interesting, to be honest. I've had a few friends complain, but I'm actually really wanting to find out what happens in the modern-day story. And while I'm not sure what others think, but I love Arno. He is the kind of enjoyable witty/smartass character that is actually quite entertaining (from what I've seen, at least). He reminds me of Ezio while not trying to copy Ezio.

If I had any criticisms so far, it would definitely be the new parkour system. It's not bad, just... different. I'll get used to it, it'll just take some time.

EDIT: Is it worth at full price? That honestly depends on how big of an AC fan you are. If you're getting tired of the series, you still won't like this one. If you still love the series, it is definitely worth it.

Edited by SolsVGR
  • Like 1

I'm sitting on my unopened copy for the time being. I've been reading things about the game that are real deal-breakers for me. Hard game crashes, tons of glitches like falling through the ground into the endless abyss, and terrible framerate. And I've seen some uploaded videos where the framerate is literally slideshow quality. I know AC games were never launch day friendly, but this is pretty unacceptable after what a glitchy mess ACIII was.

I'll take advantage of Amazon's 30 day return policy and wait a few weeks to see if Ubisoft makes any improvements through patching the game, otherwise I'm getting my money back.

So I'm kinda surprised to see the reviews at around a 7, because this is actually one of the first games this year that really keeps my attention and draws me in! The only thing that truly sucked so far was the night time prologue level, which didn't seem to make much sense and was all over the place - After that is when it truly opened up though, the story has kept my attention so far and everything about the game seems more "matured" and in my opinion, things are tweaked in the right direction, and it feels more grounded. 

To me, the game is beautiful too! I've taken so many screenshots already, it's just so detailed and it doesn't have that sort of blurry look that AC games have had in the past. The world just feels so much more alive to me too, so many people on the streets - after climbing to the top of a church in central Paris I was amazed at the view and then climbed down (climbing down is amazing in this game by the way) and walked up to a large crowd of hundreds of people protesting and at the same time the church bell started ringing with a deep loud hum, it was pretty cool honestly! There have already been many points where I have been so drawn into the world.

Basically, I'm having a lot of fun with the game so far, I haven't directly watched the reviews yet but this game is not at all a steaming pile of crap or anything, it's really good! I guess there's no horses or whatever, but maybe I'm missing something, maybe I'll see what others found wrong with it the more I play.  :dunno: Either way, I would recommend it with my experience so far, I'm enjoying the world, the story, Arno, and everything else! I'd really like to hear what others thing about it because I've been surprised at some of the negative feedback it's been getting... Maybe that 850MB day one patch solved a lot of stuff, haha

Edited by BlindMango

So I'm kinda surprised to see the reviews at around a 7, because this is actually one of the first games this year that really keeps my attention and draws me in! The only thing that truly sucked so far was the night time prologue level, which didn't seem to make much sense and was all over the place - After that is when it truly opened up though, the story has kept my attention so far and everything about the game seems more "matured" and in my opinion, things are tweaked in the right direction, and it feels more grounded. 

To me, the game is beautiful too! I've taken so many screenshots already, it's just so detailed and it doesn't have that sort of blurry look that AC games have had in the past. The world just feels so much more alive to me too, so many people on the streets - after climbing to the top of a church in central Paris I was amazed at the view and then climbed down (climbing down is amazing in this game by the way) and walked up to a large crowd of hundreds of people protesting and at the same time the church bell started ringing with a deep loud hum, it was pretty cool honestly! There have already been many points where I have been so drawn into the world.

Basically, I'm having a lot of fun with the game so far, I haven't directly watched the reviews yet but this game is not at all a steaming pile of crap or anything, it's really good! I guess there's no horses or whatever, but maybe I'm missing something, maybe I'll see what others found wrong with it the more I play.  :dunno: Either way, I would recommend it with my experience so far, I'm enjoying the world, the story, Arno, and everything else! I'd really like to hear what others thing about it because I've been surprised at some of the negative feedback it's been getting... Maybe that 850GB day one patch solved a lot of stuff, haha

Surely you mean 850MB or there is a decimal meant to be in there.  I'm pretty sure an 850GB patch would be impossible.

Surely you mean 850MB or there is a decimal meant to be in there.  I'm pretty sure an 850GB patch would be impossible.

Lmao, yes, I meant to say 850MB, for some reason I always type GB when I know I"m talking about MB but I just type GB instead, it never fails xD *edits original post*

I'm not to far in, but i'll give some pros and cons from my early experiences.

Pros:

- Beautiful game

- Fantastic time period

- As usual, the developers incorporated real events and people into the mix, which excites a history buff like me

- Likeable characters

- Great environments

- Some slight innovations

Cons (And there's a lot):

- Micro transactions

- Very buggy

- Massive frame-rate drops in odd areas, there was this one scene early on where I was in a church looking for a secret entrance to an assassin base, and despite me being the only one in this building, the framerate kept dropping, it was almost unplayable. It occurs elsewhere also

- Boring combat

- Appears to be shorter than other games, though I obviously can't say, being only around Sequence 5

- Stiff feeling to the controls, and some odd button layouts to add

- Coop is a joke, I haven't been able to play once due to the fact only certain, late game missions offer it.

- No competitive multiplayer.

- Uninteresting story

Overall, it's only worth buying if you're a massive Assassin's Creed fan, or history guy. If not, I,d wait until it's $20-$30. I hear Rogue is better, but haven't had a chance to open my copy yet.

• Like 1

I definitely urge anyone not to listen too much to reviews, since the only -bad- one I've caught so far was from Polygon and they're not exactly a great source in my personal opinion but, I think IGN's take on the game, as well some in this thread are accurate. I'm not done with the game at all, but have had to restart my system a couple times due to some nasty bugs. Arno climbing into the wall textures and freezing the game.. falling into a bottomless void.. slowdowns when going through crowds. Fingers crossed Ubisoft will fix this soonish. 

Not sure why people are complaining about this AC's story.. it's pretty good so far, though I admit I too am a diehard Assassin's Creed fan. I have never really enjoyed the story that much, aside from the "real time/current time" stories that involve whoever is in the Animus. This one has my attention in both the historical Assassin story, as well current day. (well, what of it I've seen.. only through the 4th memory sequence)

Also enjoying what feels like a good throwback to the old ones, renovating again, stopping murderers and pickpockets. BF took that part away essentially. If you are a Assassin's Creed fan I'm sure you'll enjoy it, but if you want more of BF stuff, might want to buy Assassin's Creed Rogue instead. 

I copy/pasted someones post from reddit, but it pretty much sums up my thoughts on the major issues. I love the Parkour, but it could be much more refined, and I love the combat, but enemies feel too spongey, and you don't change your strategy too much. Stealth is hit or miss. I love it when it works, but sometimes you can get spotted through walls and it can be rage inducing.

''Framerate drops, pop-ins, clippings, basically a bad engine performance

• Remember when they said the new engine "was made for the next gen consoles"? Did Ubi lie about this? The short answer will be, yes. However its complicated. AC:U had 4 years to be developed, which is 2010, when there was little information about the "power of next gen" At that juncture anticipating a high performance console and setting a high target for it is just a punch in the darkThe PS4/XB1 specs came in pretty late in development which is when 2.5-3 years of development has been done. Hate to say it but we all know that PS4/XB1 specs was not upto the mark. I can bet there was a lot of things to be fixed and fitted for the new specs, so the engine was not particularly made for the new consoles

• But still its just bad when the devs are not given enough time to finish it. Ubisoft could have well switched the dates of FC4 and AC:U to buy the devs some time. A little more polish and the game could have been GOTY material, but no, greed comes before respect, eh ?

Microtransactions

• "I payed $60 for a game, why should it have mictransactions". Right? Not really. One reason why these exist is because people still buy them, yes. But one thing people don't want to notice is that the $60 has been a thing for a a long time, while the cost of making games have severely increased. At the same time the value of money goes down, and analysis shows that $60 dollars now is almost $33 when the $60 games began coming out, so basically we are giving less money to more expensive things. Microtransactions are a great way to extract some money back through the impatient ones while DLC are for the fans, As long as these don't cut content from the game, or account towards 100% completions, its fine, IMO

• But its no denying that Ubisoft is broadcasting the microtransactions now, unlike AC4 where most of us didn't know about it. In contrast to what I said, Ubisoft still receives a hefty sum of money from AC, and this is just being greedy.

Companion App

OK, now this is just BS, no one likes companion app or at least no one can say its something they can't live without. Yes, Ubisoft, I know you want people to use the app you just worked on but wait a second, I think you should have finished the game before going into all this

When I buy a digital physical copy on a platform, I expect TO PLAY THE GAME ON THAT PLATFORM not on mobile. AC Initiates is good, but when I am playing the game I just want to play the game. Yes, if it was something like The Division app, then its still acceptable, but this, is just plain BS

Modern Day

Yes, Ubi do know that there will be lot of early adopters for AC, and they will feel left out, I think anyone should first think of their permanent fans rather than some possible temporary ones. The people who want to catch up to the story can find several ways to do so. This makes the charm of AC tarnish pretty bad. So those of you who are expecting exactly AC2 feel its not the right game.

A lot of people and reviewers alike have said so and this "problem" is not what I support. Yes it maybe worse than AC4 with the reviews and all, but for a annual franchise it IS A BIG THING. Ubisoft was ambitious, too much, but at least they didn't "play it safe" keeping in mind the old gen consoles and ultimately making a cross gen game with even more unrealistic promises

Well someone can argue that "I lost $60" but I think he/she was the one to preorder knowing that they will be punching in the dark knowing the game might be hit and miss. Also its the marketing department's job to sell you a game, so basically they are doing their job.

Now this issue what I say is not what everyone will agree, but here is my arguement. The crowds is what should have set the game apart. No I don't even remember the resolution and framerate of Mass Effect or Red Dead Redemption or Assassin's Creed 2. I just remember the excellent memories I had with them. Seeing 10,000 NPCs on screen, was supposed to be a moment which would make me feel wonderful about how gaming technology has advanced. And that will be the gaming moment I remember about Unity

Yes, I used phases like "should have or "supposed to be" because if the framerate drops more rapidly than the battery of my phone, all the "awe" gets lost. I support them here for being ambitious, or trying to push the limits, but then again, I think the devs should not be over ambitious lest the gaming experience is hampered

Its not like AS: Unity is the worst game ever but it is the worst in the assassins creed series.

Sadly its just a buggy mess on release and it will take at least a month or 3 to fix all the mess they left behind for releasing a unfinished game.

The worst part tough is things like, please login to your smarthphone, play a fucking mini game, and then unlock a CHEST a CHEST and that happens constantly.

And if you do that they will give u other CHESTS to link your account here and there.

Then they have a system to "hack" weapons and bam that costs money.

its basicly a mobile game in a free to play game with transactions in a buggy tripple A game which is dissapointing.

I wouldnt recommend this to anyone, regret picking it up

I'm not to far in, but i'll give some pros and cons from my early experiences.

Pros:

- Beautiful game

- Fantastic time period

- As usual, the developers incorporated real events and people into the mix, which excites a history buff like me

- Likeable characters

- Great environments

- Some slight innovations

Cons (And there's a lot):

- Micro transactions

- Very buggy

- Massive frame-rate drops in odd areas, there was this one scene early on where I was in a church looking for a secret entrance to an assassin base, and despite me being the only one in this building, the framerate kept dropping, it was almost unplayable. It occurs elsewhere also

- Boring combat

- Appears to be shorter than other games, though I obviously can't say, being only around Sequence 5

- Stiff feeling to the controls, and some odd button layouts to add

- Coop is a joke, I haven't been able to play once due to the fact only certain, late game missions offer it.

- No competitive multiplayer.

- Uninteresting story

Overall, it's only worth buying if you're a massive Assassin's Creed fan, or history guy. If not, I,d wait until it's $20-$30. I hear Rogue is better, but haven't had a chance to open my copy yet.

I agree with this opinion very much.

Only few differences. I'm happy there is no Competitive Multiplayer in AC unity. it was repeatative and extremely boring in all other series.

Co-op was fine for me. I liked it. and if you got a good team you'll enjoy it.

I was about to by the season pass then decided not to. Not worth it. specially that UbiSoft like to play games. like releasing those DLCs as separate games later like how they did with Freedom Cry in AC Blackflag.

I would say follow the advise above

I'm back with updated thoughts after binge playing Unity for today:

Pros:

Paris actually feels alive

The world looks so amazing

The main assassination missions are great. I love seeing how what you do affects the outcome of the mission.

Parkour is much more fluid, especially the parkour-down ability

Soundtrack is amazing

Story is alright, much better than AC3s, but not quite as great or bold as 2s or 4s

The customisation and upgrading the hideout.

Co-op is awesome (when communicating)

Combat requires a good bit of skill

Cons:

Modern day story is extremely lacking. It feels like it is going at a snails pace to pump more games out.

Pop in on crowds is annoying sometimes

Stealth system is sometimes broken

Combat sometimes feels a bit unfair

Alot of features removed for no reason, including: Hiding bodies, fast walk/gentle push, disarming enemies, fist fighting, the cool loading screens where you could run around, and the after assassination 'interview' white room sequence.

Companion apps everywhere.

Other thoughts:

I like how this is the first game where we're apart of a functioning brotherhood

I had no frame rate problems or crazy bugs, even when connected to Uplay

Overall I would give it a 9/10 right now. I realise that I am in the minority considering I have had nearly no bugs. The game really is the best Assassin's Creed since 2/Brotherhood.

Honestly, I feel a little bad badmouthing this game as much as I did and in the tone I did in the other topic... Because I haven't even played it and am going by many negative aspects that are put out there for us to see, but, BUT it seems like this really is kind of a wreck.  Hope the people that do have it, and I've heard plenty are enjoying it, are in fact not experiencing many of things that are wrong IN the game. 

I do stand by many of the shitty practices (and it's definitely not just ubisoft or ac) that need to be brought to light.  I realize 60 bucks isn't as much to developers and US in todays day and age, but to me there's no excuse for the amount of "extra stuff" that obviously took a ton of time away from the actual game.  It's truly a shame as I say this with many games........ It could be so much better if, if they just did this, and that.

The beginning of the game was awful, the bugs, the fps drops, the first blue chest where you need the companion app to open it. Made me mad. 

The more you continued the story, the better the game got.

But the end?  

For gods sake, it was the most awful end they've could imagine.

Bullshit, the whole "find out who the Wise" is. Nothing changed, nothing new was found out - it was just a waste of time - bullshit.

As a fan of the 1st 2 AC's I'm enjoying the history aspect of this AC. The console has only been out for a year and I wouldn't expect this to be any better then it is. AC4 was a nice break in the series to something quite a bit different, it was difficult for me to lose Desmond and the gang tbh.

Imo, this is a solid Assassins Creed that's particularly good for the history buffs.

I'm partway through Sequence 5, so take that for what you will, but right now my review would be sitting somewhere around a 6-6.5 out of 10. Even post-patch and offline I'm running into a lot of bugs (falling through floors, weird attempts at traversal when going into cover, enemies teleporting around or disappearing completely) and can't find anything to like in the story other than Elise, or whatever her name is, who I haven't seen for at least 4 hours of gameplay now. Sequence 4 was literally 2 missions, and I tried to play a co-op mission and found even more buggy gameplay than what was present in single player and there was no training or explanation of multiplayer mechanics. Overall, I would say I'm frustrated with the game more than anything, because it genuinely seems to want to do very interesting things, but keeps tripping over silly little things.

I have only had 3 bugs so far, one has been in co-op gameplay and the other 2 have been in cutscene's.

(The co-op one, I climbed over an object in a sewer and became trapped in the ceiling doing a falling animation. The game decided I was dead and synchronized me after about 20s. The cutscene ones both involved objects appearing slightly to one side of where they should have been - baby Arno handing over an apple which is actually floating about 3 inches to one side of his hand or a gun being held on someone's forearm. Nothing that has really spoiled it for me.)

The fights can be frustrating, esp with more than 2 enemies, but mostly because the camera no longer pans up like in past AC games. So you'll be concentrating on one guy, then all of a sudden you get attacked from behind by a guy you didn't even know was there. My solution thus far has been to spam stun grenades whenever there are more than 2 enemies against me.

But overall, I am enjoying it a lot. There are things I wish Ubisoft had not done - microtransactions... sorry but £64.99 for some fucking Helix Credits is a MACRO-transaction... that's more than most people will have spent on the fucking game! (Get around this by unlocking and fully restoring the Cafe Theatre ASAP. It's missions are easy and it will become a tidy little earner.)

And more Uplay integration... Urgh... I can see where this is going and pretty soon Uplay is going to be a paid service that you are going to have to subscribe to in order to experience the full game you've already fucking paid for...  

Anyway, sorry, I got off topic there...

Overall, I am enjoying it. Co-op is fun, either in missions or just running around, and it much better than the competitive MP ever was in these games, IMO. Paris is beautiful and alive. Seamless indoor-outdoor transitioning is awesome.

I'm still not sure which of the AC games is my favourite, but Unity is a contender at this stage. If you completely ignore the "shitty-publisher" behaviour you can see all over it that is, and just enjoy the game.

Well all shit hit the fan today. I jumped of a building, went straight trough the ground, fast travelled to a location, jumped in a hay stack, got stuck in the hay stack, couldnt fast travel or move, resetted the console, got a corrupt save had to go back to the first mission

Impression is deffenitely: This game isn't completed @ all

Graphic wise (resolution) doesn't really bother me. It looks rather good. The framerate-problems on the other hand are very visible. Even BF did a better job, so I really don't get why they didn't fix this stuff before launch instead of fixing it with a bunch of updates. Nonetheless, I completed all the memory sequences and a bit more so I've had my fair share of Unity-playing time. The story and setting are 'pretty' good, yet not as good as it was with BF. The missions/memories are pretty much all the same: find someone, kill the target and escape the area. 

The Co-op isn't working like it should. It's very laggy and buggy which results in your character being shot. 

Still: I had a lot of fun playing Unity. Should you spend 60 bucks? Not if you're looking for a perfect game. If you're looking for a lot of hours of good fun, then yes. 

Well all shit hit the fan today. I jumped of a building, went straight trough the ground, fast travelled to a location, jumped in a hay stack, got stuck in the hay stack, couldnt fast travel or move, resetted the console, got a corrupt save had to go back to the first mission

Impression is deffenitely: This game isn't completed @ all

I'm very sorry to hear this. I couldn't get back to this game for years if that happened to me now, I've almost collected all the collectibles and done almost all the main story missions. It's a pity game developers and publishers must hurry just to publish it the same day with another game. They could as well release this december the 1st and it would be a great holiday season sellout.

By the way don't know about you guys but I kind of like adventuring in another eras like WW II and the medieval Paris. Actually I wish there was more of this. I just wish Desmond never died, the Abstergo stuff has been boring since. Also miss the whole "Those who came before" plot.