Player character having a voice: Good or bad?

Happy

25 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about having a voice?

• I love it!
    • I'm not sure, but most of my arguments are in favor of the matter
    • I don't know
    • I'm not sure, but most of my arguments are in disfavor of the matter
    • I loathe it.

So one more or less novelty in this game is that your character is now given one out 2 voices per species/gender combo.

Now this is something i've really been looking forward to, as having a voice can greatly help flesh out your character, but ever since i actually got the game my opinion on the matter is rather split.

While playing it has often occured to me that my character would not say things the way i wanted him too. I pick the sarcastic answers rather often but my character often voices them in amuch more aggresive manner than i originally intended him to, sometimes even downright changing large parts of the statements, which is always extremely weird to me. I'd still say it's a nice thing to have but these matters could really have been done better.

What's your opinion on this?

As someone who has at least a couple dozen playthroughs across DA2 and the Mass Effect trilogy I'm used to the conversation wheel not actually representing the exact words the character ends up speaking. However, I much prefer my character having a voice and the ability to convey her general personality vocally, than to be a silent protagonist like that of Origins. I tend to get more attached to my characters when I can hear them voice opinions and have proper conversations than when they're nothing more than a line of text I chose from a selection.

• Like 1

In general:  It all depends on what kind of character the developers are trying to create. If they've provided backstory on the playable character, given them a personality, then it only seems fitting that they also give him or her a voice. Making them silent only comes across as odd, lazy even, and takes me out of the experience more than it immerses me. Take the Master Chief from Halo, for example. Throughout Halo 1, 2, and 3 he's hardly said a thing, and Bungie's  reason for this was that they wanted the player to feel like they were the Master Chief, that it was them in the suit, performing all of these heroic feets. That's all well and good, but because they fleshed him out with a backstory, gave him a personality, and even a name, it only served to lessen the experience for me. In Halo 4, 343 Industries really seemed to develop his character in the game, and he spoke a lot more, probably more than he had through Halo 1, 2, and 3 combined. That's not to say he was a chatterbox, because he wasn't, but he at least felt alive, and certainly less boring.

On the other hand, a silent protagonist like Gordon Freeman actually works, and this is because Valve has given him no backstory or personality. Players can thus create any kind of backstory and personality that they want, and apply them to Gordon because he lacks either of these. We get to make Gordon into whoever we want to be, and this further helps us develop an attachment to him.

tl;dr - If the player character has a backstory and/or personality, or we give them one through actions and events in game, then I prefer the character to have a voice. If they lack these things, then I feel that making them silent suits them best.

Edited by Candi B
  • Like 1

i appreciate the playable character having a voice. I personally think using a silent protagonist in 2014 is beyond lazy of the developer. They should be good enough to give the characters an interesting personality like in last of us or let us choose it ourselves like in the bioware games. Either way the character should talk.

Why not? Shephard had a full on personality and backstory that you could build. I'm just recently starting to warm up to the whole "silent protagonist" thing especially in RPGs. Traditionally, I prefer my lead characters to have a bit of a personality...I mean we are about to be stuck together for next 20+ hours, lol

Edited by merciful84

I like my character having a voice. My only problem is there are only two options to choose from. I liked how in Origins you could pick between cocky, angry, wise, etc. All that's in Inquisition is either a slightly high pitched voice or a low pitched one.

I've yet to play DA:I, but one of my pet peeves with Origins is that the character had no voice (outside of combat, anyway), yet was surrounded by companions and NPCs who each had their own unique voice.

This was literally my only complaint with Origins. My character just felt like a stand-in in basically every conversation.

It's good. But it would have been better if there were more voices to choose for your character.

More options would have been nice but it's understandable that there are only 2 for each gender, considering how many lines of text each voice actor has to go through. Even DA2 only had one for each gender, and the same with Mass Effect.

• 2 weeks later...