Amiibos

Carville87

I have said that in the past. For a little bit more money you go from crappy non-poseable figure to a Figma Figure. I really never understood why Amiibos were so popular.

I think it's because they're very affordable for anyone. But when I look at them I can't help but think about happy meal toys. (I'm sorry don't hate me Amiibo lovers)

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy collecting Amiibo of characters I like just for the sake of personal collection... but the more I think about the fact that I'm not actually USING them for anything, the more concerned I am about how many I'm buying.

I feel like if Nintendo wants these figures to be valued as what they do for games more than as collectible memorabilia, they need to make some changes to their Amiibo business/usage model. I'm not saying they need to take a Disney Infinity or Skylanders route (not that I would mind that either), but I feel like games using Amiibo need to do SOMETHING closer to what those games do. Mainly...

- Make active use of ALL (or at least most) released Amiibo

- Every figure has some sort of unique and distinctive use, even if only aesthetic

- Support additional figures similarly as they are released, either through game updates or new games

... really, Mario Maker hits all these checkmarks by giving each Amiibo its own costume, and I feel like it's the best approach Nintendo has taken to Amiibo support thus far. I'd just like to see other games go similar distances, or even further.

Oyeah, and my most recent purchases are Shovel Knight and Lucas,

Edited by CediFonei

I have said that in the past. For a little bit more money you go from crappy non-poseable figure to a Figma Figure. I really never understood why Amiibos were so popular.

That's assuming a Figma of a certain character exists or is possible to afford.

Plus if you buy all the characters you like as amiibo, they actually look like they belong to a 'collection' rather than a mish mash of different products.

Though I agree, I would much rather have figma's if I could get hold of a coupe for certain characters. Lucina I would love to have, but I've had trouble finding her for a price I'm willing to pay, so amiibo is better than nothing.

That's assuming a Figma of a certain character exists or is possible to afford.

Plus if you buy all the characters you like as amiibo, they actually look like they belong to a 'collection' rather than a mish mash of different products.

Though I agree, I would much rather have figma's if I could get hold of a coupe for certain characters. Lucina I would love to have, but I've had trouble finding her for a price I'm willing to pay, so amiibo is better than nothing.

This just kinda compounds my concerns with Amiibo. Many of us treat them solely like collectables- myself included, to a certain extent- but that's not what they're intended to be. They're intended to be used with games. The problem is that very few games offer substantial/engaging Amiibo functionality, and some figures have exponentially less use than others. I'm always careful to avoid buying an Amiibo unless I feel like I'm at least inclined to use them, like for their Smash Bros functionality, but most of my figures are still just gathering dust... if only we could use Smash Amiibo online D:

I have 31 Amiibos. 8 bit Mario, Shovel Knight, and Toad r the only ones I don't have from the Smash line. I'm planning maybe getting the new Kirby and a Waddle Dee Amiibo whenever that comes out. Tomorrow I'm getting Ryu and Roy. After that I'm planning on finishing up my collection with Cloud and Bayonetta. I use them in Smash and most of them r above lvl 20 with 6 of them at 50, and that is a challenge fighting those. Use others in Shovel Knight, Mario Kart, Mario Maker. The thing is I only use them once in awhile. A game that uses like a RPG element for all Amiibo would be amazing.

Edited by Benfoxy83

• 1 year later...

I now own Link(Smash Bros),Princess Zelda(Smash Bros), Sheik(Smash Bros) Ganondorf(Smash Bros) and last but not least Wolf Link(The Legend of Zelda 30th Anniversary) the hardest find and most expensive buy had to pay 34$ for Wolf Link I'm just glad I'm done with Amiibos now that I'm all set., too much inflation on pricing with these Amiibos:rolleyes:

Edited by Shaowsintzu

I got a whole bunch of them, I don't really intend to use them for in-game stuff but I have them as collectable statuettes.

Nontheless, I loved it when my SSB Link was able to unlock Epona in Breath Of The Wild.

I have several Links (SSB, OoT, WW, BotW) and other characters such as Bowser, Donkey Kong, Mega Yarn Yoshi, Shovel Knight, Mario, King Dedede, Kirby, Meta Knight, Captain Falcon, Fox McCloud... Still looking for regular Samus and Pikachu.

I've got Wedding Suit Bowser on pre-order.

Edited by BillyHorrible

I just looovvvvvveeeee Amiibos!!!

Personally I just like it that some of these mascot type characters are getting merchandise produced from some of these games who have literally none ever.

My wanted list includes Bayonetta and that Metroid 2 pack and currently I have Sonic, Megaman, Shovel Knight, both pixelated Mario's, Ryu, Pacman, Dr. Mario, Greninja Toon Link and oh yeah really want those 3 Shovel Knight DLC characters ASAP!!!

A better question now that they have been around for a few years is fantasy Amiibo. My dream fantasy Amiibo would have to definitely be my good barbarian friend Simon Belmont! C'mon he's tailor made for Nintendo, remember Captain N? Him and also another personal favorite who wouldn't be that out of place is Rick Taylor from Splatterhouse, in classic form would be stunning. God I hope Namco would sell it to Nintendo and take him out of their little tiny box. Finally I want Isaac and I saw a pic of it not long ago just wondering what happened to him?

Edited by tonesdad0408
  • Like 1

I'm impressed how the amiibo sculpturing has evolved and how they can make such detailed, great looking figurines. I own some amiibos and I like how they unlock some extra/exclusive content and that most amiibos work in various games. They offer more value than regular digital DLC if you're into collectible figurines or if you want to sell or share your "DLC" with family/friends.

I have the Samus Aran in Zero Suit and the other of Samus in her Power Suit from Smash Bros pack . Also have Palutena  from Kid Icarus series and the amiibo of Bayonetta with the hairstyle from Bayonetta 2 . 

I still have 2 more amiibos that are included in the Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Special Edition which there is still sealed .