rating system

Murfurfler
Go to solution Solved by Stevieboy,

What this website is missing is a rating system!

Making a rating system will make this website distinguishable (I should say "more distinguishable".. it is already a high quality website compared to other ones).

How to it should be done:

- Create a database table to store the gameid, number of votes, and votes points (If a user clicks on 3/5 .. then only 3 points gets added to this field)

- In you php (if you use php) you can divide the vote points by the number of votes.. and you should get the average vote.

- If you want to track the user voting you can do that using cookies, or if you want to be more accurate you can store it on a table with userid, gameid, points given (out of 5 or 10).

- It is better to make more than one voting system: overall experience, graphics, gameplay, online, (and the most important one in my opinion is trophy difficulty.. no one can vote except people who got the platinum or 100% - This is different than the average people who got the trophy).

Here are the pros for making a rating system:

- The ability for the users to arrange games based on specific user rating.

- The ability for the users to give their opinion about the game using numbers not words (words to be kept in the forum)! I do not see any interaction between the trophy list and the user... except the ability of adding trophy guides and writing comments about it.

Cons:

- The time you will take to create this (maybe a day - two at max!)

Edited by Hazanberg
  • Like 2

What this website is missing is a rating system!

Making a rating system will make this website distinguishable (I should say "more distinguishable".. it is already a high quality website compared to other ones).

How to it should be done:

- create a database table to store the gameid, number of votes, and votes points (if a user clicks on 3/5 .. then only 3 points gets added to this field)

- in you php (if you use php) you can divide the vote points by the number of votes.. and you should get the average vote.

- if you want to track the user voting you can do that using cookies.. or if you want to be more accurate you can store it on a table with userid, gameid, points given (out of 5 or 10).

- it is better to make more than one voting system: overall experience, graphics, gameplay, online, (and the most important one in my opinion is trophy difficulty.. no one can vote except people who got the platinum or 100% - this is different than the average people who got the trophy).

- the ability for the users to arrange games based on specific user rating.

- the ability for the users to give their opinion about the game using numbers not words (words to be kept in the forum)! I do not see any interaction between the trophy list and the user... except the ability of adding trophy guides and writing comments about it.

Cons:

- the time you will take to create this (maybe a day - two at max!)

You've missed so many caps that I don't care about your point anymore.

If you fixed your caps though I'd still complain that it'd take more than a day or two to do the databases, plus most of the ratings might be biased by fans and haters ect.

• Solution

I guess it would be neat to have, but it seems like it would be a pretty pointless feature. I'm sure most people will ignore the ratings altogether. Since if people want to know if a game is good or not, they're not going to take a simple rating system into account. They're going to look up reviews and/or gameplay.

Not a bad idea but considering the user base in the forum I'm betting Hyper Dimension Neptunia would be the most popular game. 

You are underestimating the population that this website has. Alot of people use this website mainly to track their trophy achievements due to the design and the work that was put into it.

You've missed so many caps that I don't care about your point anymore.

If you fixed your caps though I'd still complain that it'd take more than a day or two to do the databases, plus most of the ratings might be biased by fans and haters ect.

With all respect to you correcting me on my caps, you have no idea how to create a database. Plus, let it be biased.. it will be corrected overtime by the users who vote.

Honestly think it would be just as pointless as the rating system on our profiles dood

profile rating system is pointless.. I do not know why it even exist! instead it should be used on games!

Yeah.. I have noticed that too. But I thought to start the topic again... maybe we get a reply this time!

I guess it would be neat to have, but it seems like it would be a pretty pointless feature. I'm sure most people will ignore the ratings altogether. Since if people want to know if a game is good or not, they're not going to take a simple rating system into account. They're going to look up reviews and/or gameplay.

Of course I would not take one rating system into account.. but at least the rating should distinguish between a good game and a bad game.. especially if you are using a 5-star rating system. and by the way, You can always argue that everything is pointless! like the whole website for example.. because now you can you use the PlayStation app to track everything -(I have heard this argument more than once!)... while i think there are some good things that can come up from this website.

Of course I would not take one rating system into account.. but at least the rating should distinguish between a good game and a bad game.. especially if you are using a 5-star rating system. and by the way, You can always argue that everything is pointless! like the whole website for example.. because now you can you use the PlayStation app to track everything -(I have heard this argument more than once!)... while i think there are some good things that can come up from this website.

A good and a bad game is completely subjective. People on the site could make Hannah Montana a 5-star game, and The Last of Us a 1 star game. It won't help anyone distinguish what they will enjoy, and what they won't enjoy.

PSNP doesn't use the PSN rarities. It uses it's own rarities based on the people tracked on the site. Which makes rarities more accurate among trophy hunters, which is all that really matters. It also has numerous stats unavailable on PSN. It also created a community. I'd hardly say that the site is pointless.

• Like 4

A good and a bad game is completely subjective. People on the site could make Hannah Montana a 5-star game, and The Last of Us a 1 star game. It won't help anyone distinguish what they will enjoy, and what they won't enjoy.

PSNP doesn't use the PSN rarities. It uses it's own rarities based on the people tracked on the site. Which makes rarities more accurate among trophy hunters, which is all that really matters. It also has numerous stats unavailable on PSN. It also created a community. I'd hardly say that the site is pointless.

I agree with you about rating can be subjective. That is why it needs to be divided into sections.. like gameplay, graphics, hardness... and so on.

PSNP is not useless to you.. but it maybe for others. Again, more features will make the website better.

Edited by Hazanberg

Kind of topic but i completely agree with you!! I love this site, it's what made me get into trophies (yeah i dont have that many but still!). I also like to read the forums and check out the gaming sessions /o/ 

ok im done q.q

• Like 1

I'd rather have a search option in the trophy page.  :P

I think ratings are not good, just like profile ratings and even "likes". People love to troll and judge games without ever finishing them, so you have my no on this. If you wanna talk about how much a game sucks, create a topic about it and let other people post on how they feel about the game, don't just put numbers out there so even more people won't buy a game they'd ultimately enjoy.

Edited by Sakura
  • Like 1

I agree with you about rating can be subjective. That is why it needs to be divided into sections.. like gameplay, graphics, hardness... and so on.

PSNP is not useless to you.. but it maybe for others. Again, more features will make the website better.

So, we've gone from a simple rating system, to a multi-tiered rating system for every aspect of the game? At that point, you're basically asking for an entire review, not a simple rating.

More features doesn't always mean better either. One of the biggest pulls for a lot of people is how simple the site is. Adding a bunch of features will just clutter the site. Especially with features like this, that wouldn't be used very much, and are easily dismiss-able.

With all respect to you correcting me on my caps, you have no idea how to create a database. Plus, let it be biased.. it will be corrected overtime by the users who vote.

1) I live in England, we learn how to make a database in the first year of secondary school, it's not that hard. The point standing is whether users would have to be manually input into the database or processed through some other method.

2) If the fanbase for the game is large enough then it'll remain biased, it'll be like going to someone on the street and asking them what they think about CoD or Battlefield

3) With all respect to you trying to not care about ratings being bias, it sets out a false image for the game, which would be against the whole point of the rating system in the first place.

It would be nice to have a game rating system on PSNP, something similar to the one implemented in Truetrophies.

With the entire coummunity of gamers that visit the site this would be definitively great feature to have.

Edited by Aexuz

I think what would be more useful for a trophy website is a overall trophy list difficulty related rating system, a regular user rating system for "how good is this game?" to me is usually abused and isn't paid attention to on really any websites.

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 2

Disregarding time to do this (a day or two seems a bit short but whatever, why not) the main issue with adding things to a website is doing so without it becoming a clusterfuck. That is why all these seemingly easy things don't get added. The front end of the site is all about stats, not opinions.

I guess pulling metacritic score could be feasable, but is that a good idea? I'm not so sure.

User feedback is usually useless, there was someone yesterday saying he wanted his money back from gta5 because it was going to pc so woukd probably be downloaded for free and hacked, so how do you stop idiots making the scores irrelevant?

So for so many reasons, many I havent written down, I dont think its necessary, unless Sly wants to change the site ethos.

• Like 1

I don't agree with the idea that only the people who have the plat/100% would be allowed to give ratings. Chances are they completed the game because they really liked it, so the majority of games would be rated above average. In the end it would be like the ratings in the PS store where everything has 4 stars or more, which defeats the purpose of the rating system. Hell, it would end up that way no matter who was allowed to rate.

Honestly I'd rather ditch the stars and implement reviews instead.

Edited by Xhillia

- The ability for the users to arrange games based on specific user rating.

- The ability for the users to give their opinion about the game using numbers not words (words to be kept in the forum)! I do not see any interaction between the trophy list and the user... except the ability of adding trophy guides and writing comments about it.

Cons:

- The time you will take to create this (maybe a day - two at max!)

Oh you mean like the checklists users can create?

• Like 1