What is the Most Hardcore JRPG?

GaryHyphenJon

The "Tales of...." franchise is pretty sweet on content. If you're looking for Vita only, then Tales of Hearts R is out for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-2Rh7CqF2M

Awesome.  Are the Tales games like the Final Fantasy series in that the stories are not connected?

JRPG is such a lose term. Are we talking exclusives?

Any title currently on the Vita that's full of content.  As for exclusives, it doesn't matter if the title has appeared on PS3, PS4, 3DS, etc.  as long as it's on Vita

Well, then there are many titles...

To mention some of the better games:

Persona 4 Golden

Rainbow Moon (though not by a Japanese company, it does play like old FF + FFT)

Final Fantasy X

Soul Sacrifice and Soul Sacrifice Delta

Ys: Memories of Celceta

Muramasa Rebirth

Tales of Hearts R

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention

Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited

Aterlier games... (there's many of them)

Gravity Rush (not that typical JRPG though)

Child of Light (not that big, and not by a Japanese company, but good turn based + platformer)

Ragnarok Odyssey (rather focused on multiplayer)

SaGa 2015 (vita exclusive, old-school jrpg by square, supposedly coming out later this year)

EDIT:

HERE's a nice list!

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 2

HERE's a nice list!

Impressive. The west seems to really hate games that are not "Blockbuster".

I read some of the critics and it was amusing ^_^

And when I learned anything in my "career" as gamer... then, games with bad ratings are in reality suuuupRRRR-awesome! They just not get hyped as craparonie by media and by the mainstream-AAA-omgololololDatGraphics!-faction. (Its like Windows Vista. The majority of the haters never tried it, but with SP1 it was not just the beautifulliest Windows of all time, it was also as nice as Win7 to handle!)

So, Im going now to watch some Valhalla Knights 3 [48] gameplayvids. xD

Edited by Neputyunu
  • Like 1

Impressive. The west seems to really hate games that are not "Blockbuster".

I read some of the critics and it was amusing ^_^

And when I learned anything in my "career" as gamer... then, games with bad ratings are in reality suuuupRRRR-awesome! They just not get hyped as craparonie by media and by the mainstream-AAA-omgololololDatGraphics!-faction. (Its like Windows Vista. The majority of the haters never tried it, but with SP1 it was not just the beautifulliest Windows of all time, it was also as nice as Win7 to handle!)

So, Im going now to watch some Valhalla Knights 3 [48] gameplayvids. xD

I'm staying far away from Windows Vista and currently any version after 7. :)

As usual, read the reviews, don't look at the scores. When it comes to JRPGs, often many of the good ones gets their score heavily pulled down due to things I and many others don't mind at all, often things we may prefer.

I don't know if Valhalla Knights 3 is that good of a game, but sure, whatever floats your boat. Personally, I'm very much looking forward to the Vita exclusive SaGa 2015, which is most likely going to be old-school JRPG by Square.

Edited by MMDE

Well, then there are many titles...

To mention some of the better games:

Persona 4 Golden

Rainbow Moon (though not by a Japanese company, it does play like old FF + FFT)

Final Fantasy X

Soul Sacrifice and Soul Sacrifice Delta

Ys: Memories of Celceta

Muramasa Rebirth

Tales of Hearts R

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention

Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited

Aterlier games... (there's many of them)

Gravity Rush (not that typical JRPG though)

Child of Light (not that big, and not by a Japanese company, but good turn based + platformer)

Ragnarok Odyssey (rather focused on multiplayer)

SaGa 2015 (vita exclusive, old-school jrpg by square, supposedly coming out later this year)

EDIT:

HERE's a nice list!

Ragnarok is not really a JRPG, Child of Light is JRPG lookalike. Gravity Rush and Muramasa are adventures with RPG skill trees, not a JRPG.

But since we're talking about HARDCORE, this list has very few of them =D

P4G - Only two first bosses of your first playthrough can be considered hard.

Atelier - Easy, easy, easy

SS - Even though it's MH-game like Toukiden, this one is pretty easy.

Child of Light - I don't even think I need to talk about this one =D There's NOTHING hardcore about this =D (Maybe just controlling the fairy with the second stick xD)

Hardcore JRPGs come in 2 different ways.

Disgaea-hardcorness which comes in BRUTAL grinding and hardcorness that is skill related. In the second category, Toukiden is a very safe bet.

• Like 1

Ragnarok is not really a JRPG, Child of Light is JRPG lookalike. Gravity Rush and Muramasa are adventures with RPG skill trees, not a JRPG.

Yeah, that's why, with the exception of Muramasa, I pointed that out. I also already noted the following:

JRPG is such a lose term.

I'm pretty sure Star Ocean The Last Hope International fits the bill for the OP's definition of hardcore.

Star Ocean and White Knight Chronicles are the two longest JRPG plats. Those are what you're looking for.

Too bad they're clearly looking for PSV titles going by the section of the forums we're in.

And to answer the OP's question, your best bet are the Disgaea games everything else really isn't that long or difficult really.

Too bad they're clearly looking for PSV titles going by the section of the forums we're in.

And to answer the OP's question, your best bet are the Disgaea games everything else really isn't that long or difficult really.

K.

That doesn't change the fact that they match what the OP is looking for. And if you look at their profile, you can tell they also have a PS3. So if they can't find something on Vita, now they have something else to get instead. If they so choose.

Everytime Im seeing this topicname Im thinking about hard games... Yes I know you are not asking for a hard game, but, rumors say this one is really hard...

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/2207-The-Guided-Fate-Paradox

• Estimated trophy difficulty: 9/10 (6/10 if you use a guide and certain exploits) (Platinum Difficulty Rating)
  • Offline trophies: 45 (35trophy_bronze.png, 5trophy_silver.png, 4trophy_gold.png, 1platinum.png)
  • Online trophies: 0
  • Approximate amount of time to platinum: 100-200 hours (Dependent on knowledge of the game and whether you're willing to use exploits)
  • Minimum number of playthroughs: 1
  • Number of missable trophies: 0
  • Glitched trophies: 0
  • Does difficulty affect trophies?: No
  • Do trophies stack?: NA/EU are one list, JP has a separate list
  • Do cheat codes disable trophies?: No cheats

Ahhh, we are here in Vita-section :o ... Sorry, my fault... ^_^ *runs away*

Edited by Neputyunu

It's not much of lose term imo...

It's a RPG made by Japanese company/Japanese developer if you use it as a term.

And if it's used as a genre, it's a tactical rpg with moe girls =D

Nothing complicated about that =D

I told them Im missing waifus in FinalFantasy15 and they said "no one needs waifus!"

But... there is a car full of guys and stuff... "NO ONE NEEDS WAIFUS YOU FAG!"

... T_T