Shocking Science! Haystack jumping in AC1 would kill you!

In a dramatic paper published by the University of Leicester's Physics Department in the peer reviewed journal Physics Special Topics, it was confirmed that jumping from the heights depicted in the game Assassins Creed would kill you dead.

The paper isn't too long to read, but for the tl;gr brigage out there, their conclusions were:

to survive a fall from the Cathedral of the Holy Cross in Acre (the game's highest viewpoint) would require a minimum pile of hay of 2.354m tall, (although the jumper would still experience severe injury as they experienced deceleration forces of around 100 times the force of gravity). A "safe" landing could be achieved with a pile of hay 10.146m tall. 

If you did want to jump into the game's depicted 1.5m tall hay stacks, the maximum survivable jump height would be about 50m. With a jump height of about 12-13m, you should escape the fall safely.

Shocking stuff, I know. 

So, for all those looking forward to realistic physics in future AC games, you can expect the tallest Leap of Faith jumps to be about the height of a 2-3 storey house.

Please don't go out and try this at home.

• Like 1

I think its because people don't try this stuff at home any more that the stupider smart people decide to write a paper on it.

To be fair if I could get away with writing a paper on avideo mechanic and palm off my playing games as a my attempt to further science I'd probably do it to.

Wow, who knew that things from games aren't realistic and would kill you or would otherwise cause other trouble if you tried it in real life.

Seriously though it is surprising that you could land safely on a 10m hay stack and walk away like nothing happened.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 2

I'm sorry but am I the only one who knew this already back when I first played the first assassin's creed? It doesn't take any real scientific experimentation to tell you if you jump from such a tall building into a pile of hay, you would go splat. Or at least half of your head would be caved in turning your brain into mush.

• Like 1

In a dramatic paper published by the University of Leicester's Physics Department in the peer reviewed journal Physics Special Topics, it was confirmed that jumping from the heights depicted in the game Assassins Creed would kill you dead.

The paper isn't too long to read, but for the tl;gr brigage out there, their conclusions were:

to survive a fall from the Cathedral of the Holy Cross in Acre (the game's highest viewpoint) would require a minimum pile of hay of 2.354m tall, (although the jumper would still experience severe injury as they experienced deceleration forces of around 100 times the force of gravity). A "safe" landing could be achieved with a pile of hay 10.146m tall. 

If you did want to jump into the game's depicted 1.5m tall hay stacks, the maximum survivable jump height would be about 50m. With a jump height of about 12-13m, you should escape the fall safely.

Shocking stuff, I know. 

So, for all those looking forward to realistic physics in future AC games, you can expect the tallest Leap of Faith jumps to be about the height of a 2-3 storey house.

Please don't go out and try this at home.

LOL. I don't think this is original research - how in the world did they get it published? My wife and I constantly chuckled at the "land in a haystack and everything is all right!" mechanic in AC2.

What scientists really do.

If only we were so lucky. Science would be far more populated than it is.

Forget the survivability for a second, I never could get over the idea that nobody on the streets noticed that a guy jump from the highest building in the area into a haystack and walked away as if nothing happened. Seriously, nobody found that the least bit interesting?

• Like 3

• 1 month later...