I wish sony wouldn't allow people to send blank friend requests

Superbuu3

It would force people into having to say something and hopefully would make them say why they are adding you or who they are, I never add anyone like this any more and its probably the second most annoying message on PSN after that send this to 50ppl and sony will give you money chain mail.  Actually I might start asking for this on their blog.

Since I've signed up here I've got more (although that might be associated with me doing a minecraft guide to).

That actually could be a pain in the ass especially when your playing online and people randomly wants to add you with no reason. That's so annoying sometimes. 

If people really want to be my friends why don't simply introduce themselves and ask permission to be part of my friends list and don't just send blank requests cause they feel like.

That actually could be a pain in the ass especially when your playing online and people randomly wants to add you with no reason. That's so annoying sometimes. 

If people really want to be my friends why don't simply introduce themselves and ask permission to be part of my friends list and don't just send blank requests cause they feel like.

Completely agree, a small introduction goes a long way.

This sounds like a good idea in theory, but in reality there'd always be a workaround. Rather than blank, they'd just include a "-" or another random character.

true but even if it means only a few of them start giving a reason its an improvement i'd like to see.

Also would mean you can be 100% sure anyone who adds you that way is definitely not worth adding.

• Like 1

Agreed. I've lost count how many I've got random friend requests while I was trying to boost some games or simply just playing some games. I remember one guy in particular that kept trying to add me and immediately deleted me when I accepted after his 30th request, needlessly I was extremely annoyed. If they can't implement the blank messages, they could add a screening to block requests that don't have over a set number of words/characters and repeating letters or symbols can't be accepted either

• Like 1

They have tried to work around that by automatically adding "Hi my name is ..., please be my friend" on PS4 when you add people through "people you make know".  I almost delete those as fast as I delete blank ones. 

Just add a simple "hey, from psn profiles" or something! Those generic name ones are just as bad as blank ones, same amount of effort. 

• Like 2

Actually I should check if i'm annoying. If I send a message where I say the game I want to play is that ok or stupid? I think i've only done that rrarely when ppl have asked to play a specific game on a forum or something.

I mean honestly when people send me blank friend requests I end up checking their trophies to see if we have naything in common and I am extremely confused when they have absolutely nothing in common.

Actually I should check if i'm annoying. If I send a message where I say the game I want to play is that ok or stupid? I think i've only done that rrarely when ppl have asked to play a specific game on a forum or something.

I mean honestly when people send me blank friend requests I end up checking their trophies to see if we have naything in common and I am extremely confused when they have absolutely nothing in common.

If you have a ps4, then 9 out of 10 times a blank friend request is sent by someone who has the same "mutual friend" as you. You pop up in a list of 50 people for friend request spammers to have their way with. I really hate that added feature. 

• Like 1

Is it really that hard to just delete the blank requests? Or just ignore them. + you can turn off the friend request notification if that bothers you.

I really don't think they need to implement a character minimum to send friend requests, that's just stupid. If i want to quickly add a friend, that knows my name, i shouldn't be obliged to add "Hey, it's me xZoneHunter".... That's just unnecessary. 

Personally i just ignore blank friend requests.... 

Is it really that hard to just delete the blank requests? Or just ignore them. + you can turn off the friend request notification if that bothers you.

I really don't think they need to implement a character minimum to send friend requests, that's just stupid. If i want to quickly add a friend, that knows my name, i shouldn't be obliged to add "Hey, it's me xZoneHunter".... That's just unnecessary. 

Personally i just ignore blank friend requests.... 

Actually it gets pretty jarring as they appear on each system seperately which means I have to delete them at least 3 times and I think on vita I need to delete the message and the Friend request seperately.

Also I send out a friend request every now and again.  I get blank friend requests all the time, I'd rather put in a message myself then be inundated with blank requests.  Also trust me as your trophy level increases you will get a helluva lot more blank requests.  As soon as I hit level 30 i started getting crap loads.

Edited by Superbuu3

Actually it gets pretty jarring as they appear on each system seperately which means I have to delete them at least 3 times and I think on vita I need to delete the message and the Friend request seperately.

Also I send out a friend request every now and again.  I get blank friend requests all the time, I'd rather put in a message myself then be inundated with blank requests.  Also trust me as your trophy level increases you will get a helluva lot more blank requests.  As soon as I hit level 30 i started getting crap loads.

So what, you rather have people say; "Oh, i saw you are lvl 40! Do you want to add me? I won't talk to you though. I just want to add you, so i can tell all my friends that i have a lvl 40 in my friend list" Blank or not, their reason for adding you will stay the same, if they just add you because of your trophy level. You'd still have to delete them, unless you like having a lot of people you don't know in you friend list.

So what, you rather have people say; "Oh, i saw you are lvl 40! Do you want to add me? I won't talk to you though. I just want to add you, so i can tell all my friends that i have a lvl 40 in my friend list" Blank or not, their reason for adding you will stay the same, if they just add you because of your trophy level. You'd still have to delete them, unless you like having a lot of people you don't know in you friend list.

If they have to type more they will be less likely to send spam, sending a friend request takes about a second at the moment, adding a couple of seconds makes a big difference, they'll be less likely to do it. My trophy level statement is me referring to the fact you will get more spam as your level rises or if you write guides. That has nothing to do with them writing messages. I'm stating you will see how much people will spam you as your level goes up. Currently it takes me longer to delete these messages than it does for people to write them. I don't like that.

Fair enough if you disagree, but its not a case of just ignore it because otherwise i have to still scroll past if i just ignore them or delete them, either of those is an inconvenience and like i said it shows up on all 3 systems seperately.

If they have to type more they will be less likely to send spam, sending a friend request takes about a second at the moment, adding a couple of seconds makes a big difference, they'll be less likely to do it. My trophy level statement is me referring to the fact you will get more spam as your level rises or if you write guides. That has nothing to do with them writing messages. I'm stating you will see how much people will spam you as your level goes up. Currently it takes me longer to delete these messages than it does for people to write them. I don't like that.

Fair enough if you disagree, but its not a case of just ignore it because otherwise i have to still scroll past if i just ignore them or delete them, either of those is an inconvenience and like i said it shows up on all 3 systems seperately.

Well if it bothers you that much you can always set your privacy option, that you only receive friend requests from friends of friends, or simply from no one. It's under account settings > privacy settings.

You couldn't be more right about this ^ 

As i'm writing this I just got another friend request -__-

I'd bet my vita library that its a generic message.

Yup get a lot of those. I really hate that

Yeah I've been trying to trim my friends list for this very reason. If I see someone on my friends list with 500+ friends I feel like thats just irresponsible and Im BOUND to pop up in someones feed and get sent a request because we have mutual friends. 

Well if it bothers you that much you can always set your privacy option, that you only receive friend requests from friends of friends, or simply from no one. It's under account settings > privacy settings.

Oh cool I didn't know that. Is this on all three systems?

Wait but say if you wanted to add me on PSN is there anyway you can send me a message?

You couldn't be more right about this ^ 

Thanks for commenting, I didn't want this to look like i'd just pulled this one out to force people to look at my trophy card lol.  I get a lot of messages to like oh you got this trophy/level or even just advice, but messages I don't mind because at least its someone trying to converse.

Oh cool I didn't know that. Is this on all three systems?

Wait but say if you wanted to add me on PSN is there anyway you can send me a message?

I don't think so no. But they can still send you messages, so they appear in your box. I could be wrong about this though, haven't used the feature myself.

• Like 1

Thanks for commenting, I didn't want this to look like i'd just pulled this one out to force people to look at my trophy card lol.  I get a lot of messages to like oh you got this trophy/level or even just advice, but messages I don't mind because at least its someone trying to converse.

I agree. If its someone outside of this site and they are taking the time to reach out and talk, then I'll take the time to consider their friend request. Simple as that. 

I think they should have Pre-made messages made out for friend requests.

For instance, instead of having blank friend requests, Sony should have you choose a reason. 

Have the Message start off by saying "Hi my name is stupidusername001 and I am adding you because..." (then choose your reason)

• We both have ____,______, and _____ as friends (It'd automatically fill it in for you)
  • same games in common
  • We recently played _______ together (It'd automatically fill it in for you, I mean, it already shows 'players met' this shouldn't be hard to do)
  • Personal (add your own text)

Honest to goodness, this would be the best way so that people don't just put "XD" or "a" or whatever as a filler. This would encourage people to give a legit reason rather than blank friend requests. I guess they could just pick personal and leave it blank, but then you REALLY know that they aren't worth adding! ;)

• Like 1

Vita deletes message itsself when there is too long no chatactivity with an user. So... no :P

My oldest conversation is from 21.2. ... and I have my Vita a bit longer. :)

Yeah... This is easily resolved by setting your account to auto-reject friend requests. (I originally took auto-reject off due to gaming sessions.) If someone really wants to add you, then they can send you a message.

I've got the one or two blank friend requests, but it's obvious they're from PSNP because they're of high trophy level.

Edited by Aela