Do PSN trophies/Xbox Achievements stop you from going over to PC?

SmokedOut947

So, no CH does NOT care about PC platform.

Okay..... so you are disagreeing with something I never said.

Also, what are you talking about? Compile Hearts is a part of Idea Factory as to Santa Monica is to SCE. No one is giving IPs away and what makes you think Compile Hearts doesn't care from PC? Where's your source?

For $600 - $700 USD you could build a PC that would run pretty much everything but the most demanding games on high/max at 60fps (at least).

For a year or so maybe. Around the two to three year mark, you'll notice games are coming out that force you to start marking graphical consessions that you may or may not be comfortable with to maintain decent framerates (assuming that the games coming out aren't buggy messes that won't run well regardless).

By the fourth year, you pretty much have to decide between being able to play new games that come out... or dumping another couple hundred into the machine to "keep up with the Joneses". And how much you dump into it decides if you actually get another four years... or maybe less if you cheaped out somewhere.

No, having to constantly upgrade a PC every time a game with high system requirements is released stops me from buying a PC. With a console, I can pick any game I feel like for it off the shelf and be confident that it will work as advertised. Less money I have to spend on hardware means more money I can spend on software.

Also, PC gamers by and large act like fucking douches about their alleged superiority and that turns me right off.

Honestly, yeah, it's part of the reason.

I know Steam has their own achievement system, but it seems really out of place, and not really used to show off your accomplishments. I just don't like it enough. Also, consoles generally have exclusive titles, and it can suck to miss out on some of these.

(I'm also far too broke to afford a gaming PC that can play games at the highest quality anyways.

As Damon8r has said, I can't afford to constantly have to upgrade the PC all the time either currently. It's kind of excessive.)

To add on a bit; there are games that I like on console that I wouldn't be able to play as well on PC, like shooters. I find mouse and keyboard annoying to play with. I like how comfortable it is to play with a controller, and I'd be at a disadvantage in that sense. I also think consoles are more comfortable in general to play on.

Not in the slightest. I do think trophies are better on PS, but they wouldn't affect my decision making process. As Damon said, I also don't want to progressively upgrade my 'rig' every few years, I just want to buy a game and play it. I also enjoy the console ecosystem, watching events and reading announcements makes me feel like part of a community. 'Mods' are for the most part fun for 5 minutes, keyboard and mouse controls suck IMO (comfort sacrificed for aiming, can't use a controller online if you don't want to get rekt).

PC Master race shit started as a fun joke and has just turned into console hate, and honestly, it kind of drives me away from pc gaming, due to the seemingly volatile community.

All of this.

First of all, yes, It stops me from switching back to PC.

But then, I prefer to use notebooks tuned for work with graphics and photos (especially macbooks), which are not very comportable and comfortable for gaming. Getting another one notebook for games is VERY expensive, for standalone PC I simply have no free space in my room.

And finally, I really prefer to use consoles for gaming :) Even for oldschool console games I have cracked PSP with several emulators :)

Edited by mokrinsky

I enjoy sitting on my couch, in my living room, with my controller in hand, and on my big ass HD T.V.

Plain, simple, and worry free.

That's how you game.

HDMI + Controller Drives = Problem solved

Unless you're going to bring up that "my PC is in another room excuse and I'm too lazy."

There is no way to game, only if you're having fun. That's what matters.

HDMI + Controller Drives = Problem solved

Unless you're going to bring up that "my PC is in another room excuse and I'm too lazy."

There is no way to game, only if you're having fun. That's what matters.

It's kinda hard to tell if you're disagreeing with me, if so, are you implying to hook the PC up to your living room T.V. with a controller connected?

If so, doesn't that really take the whole point of it away? You'd essentially be trying to turn your PC into a console.

There's something comfortable in owning a console for me, perhaps it's tradition.

I used to own a NES as a little boy and now I have a PS4.

Despite popularity, a computer isn't meant for gaming, not to me.

It's main purpose isn't gaming, again to me.

A consoles main purpose is gaming.

I don't feel the requirement to invest such insane amounts into my hardware.

I paid 400 euro for my PS4, might be a bit less, but this will take me years before it's outdated.

And for me, that's enough.

• Like 1

It's kinda hard to tell if you're disagreeing with me, if so, are you implying to hook the PC up to your living room T.V. with a controller connected?

If so, doesn't that really take the whole point of it away? You'd essentially be trying to turn your PC into a console.

Nope, console is a dedicated machine (Xbox One is somewhat in the middle) that only plays games as it's primary function. A PC is not dedicated as it does multiples things for it's primary function. A another thing about consoles and PCs is optimization, consoles have a lot of optimization to get the best graphics out of them while PC rarely does.

Steam-boxes that are coming out in Nov 2015, will be classed as PCs yet take a console form to be more suitable for the living room. Steam-boxes also will include a controller and a full blown steam OS (Certain Steam-boxes).  

Absolutely not. In the beginning I had my worries but after actually building my own I realized PC provides you with an experience no console will ever replicate.

I had never realized how much I don't like having my controls, performance, graphics and other things locked down by a developer who decided to pick whats best for me.

On PC I can modify my games to my liking, I don't have to deal with the really low field of view that has become the standard for shooters on consoles. I can choose if I want 60FPS or higher graphical fidelity (Or in my case I take both). I'm able to use a mouse and keyboard or try out any controller I like instead of being stuck with what Sony offers me (It's a great controller but its nice to try new things. I finally got to use an Xbox One controller which I love, I alternate between PS4 and that.) I even have it plugged into the same TV as my consoles and play like a normally would and all that freedom is topped off by the cheaper price of PC games, I don't pay more than $40 for the same game released on PS4 for $60.

I still love my consoles though, I currently have over 3100 trophies and 929 steam achievements now and I'm happy with both.

I am and by your logic, a console is basically a PC since it has a GPU, RAM, CPU, Fans, etc.

I am and by your logic, a console is basically a PC since it has a GPU, RAM, CPU, Fans, etc.

You're disagreeing with me by my logic? What logic could I have possible put out there for you to disagree with "by my logic"?

You're suggesting to turn your PC experience into a console experience. Sure, I could use my PS4's HDMI cable, hook it up to my TV, buy a controller drive, clear off some space for the tower, buy a new graphics card, as well as anything else I may need to ensure it actually runs the way it's suppose to... but I already have a PS4.

I'm saying what's the point, and that it defeats the purpose.

My PC is on my computer desk where it belongs, and my gaming systems are on my TV stand where they belong.

There's no point in upgrading my PC and buying accessories, just so I can play the same games I can play on my PlayStations.

I think you've taken my opinion/preference out of context.

Going by how some of the people in here are acting reinforces that it's not just PC only gamers that can be dicks. They may be the minority on any particular platform but they certainly yell the loudest.

I prefer consoles because after working all day on a computer I prefer a change. It's no different to why I won't typically watch drama movies, or "real life" movies, you get enough drama in real life whether you like it or not.

Edited by ScutumMagister
  • Like 1

You're disagreeing with me by my logic? What logic could I have possible put out there for you to disagree with "by my logic"?

You're suggesting to turn your PC experience into a console experience. Sure, I could use my PS4's HDMI cable, hook it up to my TV, buy a controller drive, clear off some space for the tower, buy a new graphics card, as well as anything else I may need to ensure it actually runs the way it's suppose to... but I already have a PS4.

I'm saying what's the point, and that it defeats the purpose.

My PC is on my computer desk where it belongs, and my gaming systems are on my TV stand where they belong.

There's no point in upgrading my PC and buying accessories, just so I can play the same games I can play on my PlayStations.

I think you've taken my opinion/preference out of context.

Again, your original reasoning for playing on console is easily fixable.

If your excuse for not going over to PC is because you already have a PS4, then that should have been your first post.

And can you clarify this "purpose," because it seems to me is that you don't feel the same gaming on PC as to console which is perfectly fine. Other than that, this "experience" has nothing to do with the topic. 

Again, your original reasoning for playing on console is easily fixable.

If your excuse for not going over to PC is because you already have a PS4, then that should have been your first post.

And can you clarify this "purpose," because it seems to me is that you don't feel the same gaming on PC as to console which is perfectly fine. Other than that, this "experience" has nothing to do with the topic. 

My first post is why I game on console, and not on PC (the console experience).

This "experience" is the reason, which is the topic.

OP is asking if trophies/achievements are the reason (open to anyone) we don't switch to PC, which implies "if not, then why?".

How is my reasoning for playing on console fixable? I'm already playing on console, what's there to fix?

Excuse? I've nothing to defend, and hold no blame or fault for my preferences/opinions (especially on a topic like this).

Within our short, first time interaction, it has become clear that you have either chosen somebody at random to pick a fight with, comprehension is not one of your strong suits, or you simply have trouble explaining what you are meaning to say.

If you prefer PC, then that's equally fine, but don't jump on someone who's preference differs from your own.

A preference should never require explaining, nor be questioned.

Your attitude is negative, your points hold no weight, and you're not accurately responding to my own points.

I'm sorry, but because of this, I'm ending our conversation.

• Like 3

My first post is why I game on console, and not on PC (the console experience).

This "experience" is the reason, which is the topic.

OP is asking if trophies/achievements are the reason (open to anyone) we don't switch to PC, which implies "if not, then why?".

How is my reasoning for playing on console fixable? I'm already playing on console, what's there to fix?

Excuse? I've nothing to defend, and hold no blame or fault for my preferences/opinions (especially on a topic like this).

Within our short, first time interaction, it has become clear that you have either chosen somebody at random to pick a fight with, comprehension is not one of your strong suits, or you simply have trouble explaining what you are meaning to say.

If you prefer PC, then that's equally fine, but don't jump on someone who's preference differs from your own.

A preference should never require explaining, nor be questioned.

Your attitude is negative, your points hold no weight, and you're not accurately responding to my own points.

I'm sorry, but because of this, I'm ending our conversation.

Like I said, you should have rephrased your wording from "I prefer controllers and a big ass TV," to the console experience. It's two different things. As for a fight, no it's not. It's a normal debate. Calling one person inferior would be looking for a fight.

Again, I respect your console prefer (I never criticized it btw), just don't word it vaguely.

NO of course not.The biggest reason for myslef is that a lot of great games especially starategies are only published for PC and for sure I don't want to miss out on any of them.Another reason is everybody knows that a lot of games which are published for all platforms are a lot more better when experienced on PC in terms of graphics and of course gameplay( RPGs And FPSs).Trust me on this:CONSOLES COME AND GO BUT PC NEVER DIES. B)

NO of course not.The biggest reason for myslef is that a lot of great games especially starategies are only published for PC and for sure I don't want to miss out on any of them.Another reason is everybody knows that a lot of games which are published for all platforms are a lot more better when experienced on PC in terms of graphics and of course gameplay( RPGs And FPSs).Trust me on this:CONSOLES COME AND GO BUT PC NEVER DIES. B)

Yes and no, I've always played on consoles mostly. So playing on a computer just feels lame and clumsy with keyboard and stuff when you can have hand fitting controller on your hands. On top of that if you want to play on computer without lags and bugs (which is impossible at least for the bug part) You have to upgrade your computer hardware for every 2 years. Which will cost you about 200-400 e every time you do that. Not to mention that to build a decent gaming PC you have to be prepared to invest about 800-1200e. I have a gaming PC. Costed me about 800 e. And now I have to buy a new graphics card for it which will probably cost me 170-200e . Not to mention that most PC gamers are d*cks! They always brag about their Pcs and diss yours. They believe everyone is a noob who has lousier PC than them or don't play the games they believe are the true games. They also believe that graphics is everything if you play on lower graphics setting you're a noob ofcourse! according to them. And if you say some game is buggy or it lags it's because of your PC or your own fault for having lousy internet connection. Not to mention they think console players as inferiors. Also Steam achievements suck, so does Origins, you need cards to get lvl not achievements and so on. And I disagree on people who claim that gameplay is better on PC, there's always bugs which has to be fixed, with the next patch another bug appears, PC ports have clumsy controls that usually make you sink underground or get you stuck (not to mention keyboard, it's for writing). I play for fun and getting trophies along the way is just bonus. But when playing on PC it's not fun mostly because you have to have Ps3 or Xbox controlller plugged on your PC and you have to wait usually 2-5 weeks for gamebreaking bug fixing patch to come out. Oh and PC's do die. I have killed 3 laptops and 2 PCs (they all were supposed to be suitable for gaming) on the lifetime of my first ps3 which was about 6 years, unless you put fortune on it and are prepared to pay that 200-400 e every 2 years just to play game that cost you 40-70 e. 

The topic is about trophies/achievements but mostly people argue about pc/console superiority. For me trophy hunting is important but the the fun I have while playing the game is more important. See it like building a jigsaw puzzle. Some people say it is stupid to spend days for a wall picture but others tell their admiration when they see the 6000 piece thing hanging on my wall. Like puzzles, getting platinium and other hard trophies require patience and skill. When you get them you feel the sense of accomplishment that others cannot feel. And thanks to psnprofiles, I have the chance to compare my trophy score with nearly 2 million players. I also like competing very much so seeing myself climbing the ranks every week is another satisfaction.

Someone said steam achievements are better than trophies. Pls explain to me how they can be better since there is no difference between them (no score). Is it normal to earn same thing when you finish tutorial and when you make 10 headshots in a row? And since there is no score for them, there is no ranking sites.

Yes and no, I've always played on consoles mostly. So playing on a computer just feels lame and clumsy with keyboard and stuff when you can have hand fitting controller on your hands. On top of that if you want to play on computer without lags and bugs (which is impossible at least for the bug part) You have to upgrade your computer hardware for every 2 years. Which will cost you about 200-400 e every time you do that. Not to mention that to build a decent gaming PC you have to be prepared to invest about 800-1200e. I have a gaming PC. Costed me about 800 e. And now I have to buy a new graphics card for it which will probably cost me 170-200e . Not to mention that most PC gamers are d*cks! They always brag about their Pcs and diss yours. They believe everyone is a noob who has lousier PC than them or don't play the games they believe are the true games. They also believe that graphics is everything if you play on lower graphics setting you're a noob ofcourse! according to them. And if you say some game is buggy or it lags it's because of your PC or your own fault for having lousy internet connection. Not to mention they think console players as inferiors. Also Steam achievements suck, so does Origins, you need cards to get lvl not achievements and so on. And I disagree on people who claim that gameplay is better on PC, there's always bugs which has to be fixed, with the next patch another bug appears, PC ports have clumsy controls that usually make you sink underground or get you stuck (not to mention keyboard, it's for writing). I play for fun and getting trophies along the way is just bonus. But when playing on PC it's not fun mostly because you have to have Ps3 or Xbox controlller plugged on your PC and you have to wait usually 2-5 weeks for gamebreaking bug fixing patch to come out. Oh and PC's do die. I have killed 3 laptops and 2 PCs (they all were supposed to be suitable for gaming) on the lifetime of my first ps3 which was about 6 years, unless you put fortune on it and are prepared to pay that 200-400 e every 2 years just to play game that cost you 40-70 e. 

You do not need to upgrade your PC every two years, just as a console doesn't need to be upgraded for 7 if your PC is more powerful than a console it will run all those games for roughly the same amount of time at higher details and framerates until next gen arrives, just cause you can't play the games on ultra anymore doesn't mean you should upgrade. There are actually high end builds from 5 years ago that were put up against PS4 and they still beat it. I don't understand why you have so many bugs but my PC works almost flawlessly, I actually have less problems than I do with newer consoles like the PS4 and Vita and any problems that ever arose I was able to fix day 1 rather than having to wait for the developer to notice/patch it like on a console. I've never had a PC break on me but, PC's do have much better warranties, you can buy a GPU with a lifetime warranty and most parts come with at least 3 years compared to a consoles 1 year of coverage.

Oh and the stuff about the community is completely untrue, no one looks down on you for having a lesser PC. There are people who rip on consoles but what platform doesn't have its share of fanboys?

• Like 2

The above is true, regards to building a computer of high spec to begin with. But the only thing with this is the massive cost implication compared to a console. To build a PC of "PS3" specifications and capabilities (note that the PS3 itself was a purpose designed machine for playing games - as opposed to a computer which is designed as a single solution to all the home IT needs, not just games) back in 2006 would of crucified you in cost. I've been there and done it so many times xD!

But regards trophies stopping me from going over. No, not really.

Sure, I actually spend a considerable amount of time more on my consoles vs my £2.5k PC (at the time, 2013) but the PC has it's place in gaming and thus trophies are not a reason to hold me back.

Strategy and FPS games (personally) are played better on a PC. :D

Edited by Takara

The above is true, regards to building a computer of high spec to begin with. But the only thing with this is the massive cost implication compared to a console. To build a PC of "PS3" specifications and capabilities (note that the PS3 itself was a purpose designed machine for playing games - as opposed to a computer which is designed as a single solution to all the home IT needs, not just games) back in 2006 would of crucified you in cost. I've been there and done it so many times xD!

The cost thing was true back in the day, but I don't think it still holds true today. When PS3 game out it was $600 and using cutting edge tech more powerful than the majority of PC hardware at the time. The new gen of consoles on the other hand fall somewhere in the lower mid range of PC's performance wise so you see GPU's in the $100 range that are out performing it. Its possible to build one without spending too much more but after building a few for friends I'd say the price/performance sweet spot is definitely around $700, you can build a beast capable of some 4K gaming in that range lol

• Like 2