Do PSN trophies/Xbox Achievements stop you from going over to PC?

SmokedOut947

Trophies are also a reason but...

PC

does 

not

have 

enough

Japanese

games!

Upgrading the HW is also a reason, but I'm supposed to use Japanese games as a base of my opinions.

Trophies aren't my reason.

But this.  PC is very western based.  There isn't a lot of Japanese made games on PC.  Besides visual novels etc but I hardly have the patience to sit through those.  I would wish games like Bug Princess, DoDonPachi got PC ports though (official ones, I prefer to support the developers).  I would play those in an instance.

I would play MMORPGs but right at the moment I play FFXIV which is also on console and I'm never a fan of F2P ones.  I have considered getting FFXIV on PC for crafting/gathering but that would require me to upgrade my PC which is another reason I don't really want to make the complete shift.

• Like 1

It's one of the reasons, but the biggest reason is that NIS's games aren't on the PC. If they were, I would probably jump ships quickly; I can only imagine the amount of characters to choose from (hello La Pucelle and Makai Kingdom folks) once mods were available for Disgaea.

• Like 1

It's one of the reasons, but the biggest reason is that NIS's games aren't on the PC. If they were, I would probably jump ships quickly; I can only imagine the amount of characters to choose from (hello La Pucelle and Makai Kingdom folks) once mods were available for Disgaea.

Haha gotta agree on that, modding is fun. But on La Pucelle you could Purify any enemy apart from the final boss once you did the Bad Ending if I remember correctly. And on Makai you could get everyone but Trenia on your party on post game so modding on those games would be pretty pointless. On Disgaea it's a different matter though.. And naked mods for Hyper Dimensional Neptunia (for example) would be pretty popular. But most of the times mods are like hacks it's just prettier word for it. They both give some sort of advantage over people who don't use mods or hacks no matter what you call it. Both alter the game somehow.

I probably forgot to mention that earlier that there's apparently a way to HACK yourself STEAM achievements as long as you don't use them on VAC protected games or something. Or so I'v seen people whining on Steam forums.Valve doesn't seem to care much about it. So I could add that cheating on PC is easier than on consoles. (You can do that on PS too but it's much easier to get caught, I think..) Making me to stick on consoles even more..

Edited by killivincent

I'm actually on the other end of this, I'm Primarily a PC gamer with a very high end PC but as good as that is exclusives and "mainly" jRPG's  try and draw me back to consoles along with the trophy hunting that's seems way more fun than the steam achievements.

Also as i'm getting older i find my attention span for sitting at a PC and wrists getting fatigued after an hour or 2 on intense clicking games makes consoles more and more appealing, yea i know you an use game pads on PC it just doesn't feel the same and on fps game side of things you can't keep up with mouse and keyboard games.

Isn't the future of console and PC gaming going to be a merge either before or at the time of the next gen consoles anyway? I cant see trophy hunting been playstation only for much longer even if its some sort of PC app equivalent to steam by Sony that allows the PlayStation catalog to be played through your PC along with trophies - That will be the Master Race.

[...]

Edit: Deleted most of the quote text cause this became a mammoth of a post LOL

Thank you for going such deep in detail. But dont worry, Im IT-Technician. :) Just to comfortable and lazy. :P

My actual setup is, the PS3SS via HDMI on my screen, a line-in cable from there to my laptop and then a headset on my laptop.

Im way too lazy to stick the headset always in the port I need it, but with Line-In I dont need to change it. xD

I want to buy a TV this year, later a Wii U... Sure I could stick the PC then with the screen that is available then because I would have the consoles on the TV. But then it will turn into a question of roomdesign. :D I thought about it, but I have no idea where I should place the PC then.

Actually I have all my stuff on my livingroomtable. I would put the TV on my bedtable. You know, this tables you can "drive" over the bed.

But I cant place the screen and the PC there, because the table isnt deep enough. Mouse and Keyboard would not fit and Im way to close too the screen and the TV (!).

And yes I want an additional screen for the Web. My attention span is sometimes pretty short, so I need often breaks in gaming. I dont want to plug in a PC in the TV too.

Basicly, Laptops are strong enough for my requirements, because I dont care about graphics and 60fps. SimCity2013 runs on low with 768p in 25fps or something like that and Im fine with that. The ZBox I mentioned before has btw a slightly capped desktop i7 with over 3 GHz and Intel Iris Pro 5200 is fine, you can compare it with GT840M. You cant compre them to Intel GMA or Intel HDxxxx. Its a huge jump.

Also Im going to play just some exclusives on PC like SimCity, Starcraft2, Cities:Skylines (somewhere in the future), and older games like Anno1602 or Anno1701 (A.D.1602 or A.D.1701 in US), AgeOfEmpires2, Warcraft2, Warcraft3, other old stuff...  So a PentiumG would be probably enough for me.

Also I dont get why everyone is saying such bad things about laptops. :( Like "heat, limited ventilation, battery life. [...]". An other guy I have written in Skype with told me Windows would produce more errors on laptops.... uhm... yeah... why it should? Windows doesnt care about that... it even runs on XBox, Tablets and Smartphones. lol...

Also Im out of the age were I need a fat PC. Have just a 80€ smartphone (Huawei Y300) and Im fine with it. Today I prefer buying things I "need" and not things for feeling superior or whatever. No this isnt an attack or something, just dont know what to write instead. Im sorry. I just think that most of the "Gamer-PCs" are just overpowered and unnecessary.

I gave you my speccs, so you can see I have them for really long now. My GPU driver is outdated since years, but its the newest one AMD offers. :P

In this time others would have spent thousands of € for new GPUs... Everytime Im reading stuff like "I changed my two GTX770TI into two GTX970." Im wondering what the craparonie is wrong with this guys. :D But yeah, it seems to be normal, I mean, I also dont understand why some guys need every year a new Smartphone... or why someone "needs" a f*cking TELEPHONE for 1000 bucks. ... Somehow... Im feeling old. xD

I was a Fan of AMD CPUs ~a decade ago, totally loved my Athlon64 X2 6000+, but I dont think they are "good" today. The TDP of the FX-CPUs is way too high and an i3 can bash most of them, at least in games. Also the AM3-plattform is sooo old meanwhile... I dont want to invest in this. :S I was a Fan of AMD GPUs too, but, nVidia cards need today waaaay less energy. Look at the 750TI or the GTX9xx.. what is going on here? Its amazing! beautifull! So, at least today one of my points for prefering a Laptop (needs less energy) is gone.

Also I think your judgment over PS4's CPU isnt correct. CurrentGen consoles have the most powerfull APUs AMD ever has designed. :) Yes, APUs... Something like their "Kaveri"-series.

You cant compare consoles and PCs just because of GHz and Cores... You should know that they say nothing. If they are the only thing that would define the power, everyone would want to have a FX-9590 (8x 4.70GHz). :D ... 220W TDP... ewww.... Nobody would uses Intel CPUs nowadays. Also dont forget the PS4 uses GDDR5 as RAM.

About SSDs.. they are not THAT expensive today. :) Currently have an old 120GB drive in my laptop. And I told you, my SSD here gave my laptop some extra lifetime. Because, even with my other old hardware, I had the fasted loadingtimes in my WoW-PvP-group and group I played LoL. Before the SSD I was the slowest and TeamSpeak was always panicing around "OMG ARENA STARTS IN 5 SECONDS. WERE ARE YOU?!" ... Its loading! :P

But in my new PC, still dont know if Barebone or Laptop, I would put in 256GB... Have just 4GB left on my 120GB drive. :P

Sure I have no SSD in my PS3 (I thought about it.), but hey, load a huge map with an pretty far advanced savegame in Anno2070 up on PC... I can go to the bathroom in this time ... This is why my laptop has an SSD and my PS3 dont. :P The console is fine with an normal HDD, on a PC I must wait for everything and forever. ... Yeah, okay, the GTA5-Loadingtime was brutal... But that was the only game I played on a console with loadingtimes wort to mention.

I guess I will keep my laptop as long she really dies. I mean, actually she is still doing stuff... and, Im sorry, but I can turn it as long I want, but a PC (it doesnt matter which formfactor) is compared to a console expensive. At least for me. Why I should build a PC to have a "console level experience"... ----- I dont like Steam-, Origin-, and UPlay-Achievements. Battle.net-Achievements are "acceptable"... Whats about japangames? Sure PC got one or two out of 10 Nep-games, and FairyFencer, it will get NarutoStorm4 and OnePiecePW3.. but why is this? Because consolegamers. ;) Really sad most PC-players never think about that. They just see graphics... and post on YT things like "2015 PC STEAM THANK YOU LORD GABEN". << I dont like this faction. No Im not generalizing. As I said before, I see them as a faction inside the "PC-Alliance", not as the whole "PC-Alliance" ^^ ... Ah, Im remembering I wanted to start Atelier... Does PC have this franchise? See. A PC cant provide a "console level experience". ----- ...when I also can get a console for 150 bucks? =/ ... This was my initial question. Sorry that Im extending everything... I know this also is an attribute that makes me unpopular. :S However, I dont think a 750TI is doing the Job long. I dont think this card can provide the "console level experience" (what actually do you mean with this?) until PS5. So better spend additional 60 bucks and get a GTX960. 

...Maybe Im going to pick up one of these HDMI-stick-miniPCs. They are interesting too. :) In some years they are usefull for sure.

But, then I have the problem with the addional screen and are back again to the reason why Im prefering Laptops...

... also there is no Line-In...

*sigh*

Edited by Neputyunu

I don't PC games that much because my computer is sh*t and don't have the money to get a good PC. I guess another reason is all the PC fanboys say PC's for gaming is the best thing since sliced bread and all that is doing is just pushing me away from getting a good computer. But I do play Fallout: New Veges on the PC because of the mods ,but that game crashes so much it is not fun.

Edited by WulfPack3

yes! That was the game, thank you so much! I was trying to search for this game name for ages. I never managed to beat the game due to the keyboard controls at the time, I believe I reached halfway through the game, I remember encounter a female pirate cat as a boss, I took way too long to beat her. then our PC catch a flu... um.. it got a blue screen to be more precisely :D

forcing us to entirely format it, my older brother manage to save his works before the blue screen happen, unfortunately the games stored on the PC have all gone that day.

Too bad that happen, i'm sorry. I still have my copy of the game preciously stored.

Of course. But I don't think this a question of validity (and honestly, the only people who really throw out the "valid" comment are PC trolls). I can respect that these people are the minority (I know plenty of great PC gamers, being that I'm the faculty adviser of the Iowa State University gaming group). But they are a vocal minority - they infiltrate so much stuff (look at the Amazon reviews just ruined by these people).

It's a question of preference, together with time and monetary expenditure.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Sorry if it came out a bit strong. Its not really a question of validity, but preference, as you say. What I was reading in the thread up to that post sounded like it was getting a little heated, and I hate to see anything get ganged up on :P

I recently got into collecting games on Steam (and collecting achievements) due to PC games being dirt cheap compared to PS3 games, but there's certain things that do nag me about Steam.

Firstly, it's extremely easy to cheat achievements to the extent that achievement rarity percentages are almost pointless, and that makes it a bit gutting when you work hard on your achievement, have it as a centerpiece in your profile, then see someone who's blatently just ticked a box that says 'yes I'd like this achievement, why the hell not'. I think this is why there's no well-made Steam equivalent to a site like this. I could only find one that showed people's achievements and rarities and whatnot, and it was very basic looking and lacked a lot of features. Didn't have nice achievement cards or anything like that either.

Secondly, I hate how Steam documents your playtime. I have people comment 'oh it took you that long to 100% octodad?' and such. Well no, I was enjoying the game because I paid for it and wanted to play about. I can't deny it's made me conscious of the time I play games though, and I dislike that. I want to be able to sit back and enjoy them and leave them running when I'm away if it's convenient and whatnot.

Thirdly, community. I was surprised how few people on Steam seem to really care about gaming. It seems to be divided between the casual audience who would have an amazing PC but only play Warframe for 1000s of hours, those with a steam level of 200 that bought every game bundle and play each game for 10 minutes to farm for the cards to sell, and... phishing bots, with only a small minority of high scorers and game completionists facing the same problems I've mentioned above.

Fourth: Steam greenlight. Devs are now allowed to release half-made games onto Steam with only a promise that they will finish them. Often games are just abandoned by the devs who ran off with the money. You can avoid this by just not buying early-access games but it's a questionable practice to allow it and I think it encourages laziness on the developers behalves.

Last but not least, not a Steam thing, more PC gaming in general. The PS3 was released where I live in 2007 and since then I've been playing games on there and they've always looked great even to this day. To make a gaming PC I'd have to spend a fortune on what is good today, which may change in a few months time, and worry that if one thing goes wrong I'm not going to be able to track down the route cause because there's simply too many things to go wrong.

With all that said I eventually do plan to get a better PC, but not just for gaming. I'll probably stick with playstation in the long run for my achievement-ding-satisfaction though.

Edited by Light-and-magic
  • Like 1

Or harassing the local used game shop to get the nicest looking case, and cleanest disc they have. :)

Oh yeah, we really love when you come in the store :P

I had a customer like this, he was trying to collect every game ever made (seriously) every time he came in he would make us go through every disc we had to try and find the most perfect one because he needed a super perfect copy of the Davinci Code for the PS2 :shakefist:

I got so annoyed with him that I told my staff and him that they could only help him after every other customer in the store had been helped. He would honestly wait 15-20 minutes as we talked to and helped everyone else and then once the line was gone and the customers on the floor had been talked to he would pounce and ask to see all the copies of Eggmania or something.

Fucking guy :(

• Like 1

I tried to get into Steam for there achievements but it wasn't the same, I'm not much of a Keyboard warrior WASD so that might be on one of the issues, also I have way more friends on the PSN to jam with.

Trophies/achievements are straight forward on consoles.

Trophies/achievements bring re-play value and it helps keep track of what you need to do next, if you have a big backlog that is.

Game it up :highfive: to a good hunt on which ever machine you play,

To be honest some of those Master Race Pc guys need to chill out and stop comparing

the consoles to Pc it really shows there insecurity by bragging. :blah:

I upgrade my Pc every 5 years, it's mostly used for Making music, photoshop and soon video editing,

Edited by nevetsteven2

Oh, xD I didn't know
Personally anything comparable to a GT840m is too weak for my taste, I like to have my PC ready for the latest games that come out but for the games you play the Iris pro will do the job.

Your situation with finding where to put a PC seems complicated, It confused me honestly lol but you want a laptop because it won't need a TV as a display im guessing?

And basically all I was trying to do was recommend something that would be futureproof in terms of the way games are being designed for current gen consoles, by the console experience I mean't just buying a PC and never having to worry about upgrading until next gen that won't cost you a fortune (Maybe $500-$600)
Yes the PS4 has a very powerful APU (I didn't want to bring up APU's cause for people who don't know much about hardware it can be difficult to understand)
However, gaming PC's use a different architecture (A dedicated CPU+GPU) because there are no advanced APU's like the ones found in PS4 that can compete.
So things like the GDDR5 RAM PS4 uses are largely irrelevant because your GPU will be using the ultra fast GDDR5 while you have dedicated DDR3 which is fast enough for CPU related tasks.

Even though the power consumption on Nvidia and Intel are great I kind of think its a bit overrated, unless you're running your games 24/7 or a server it really doesn't save too much on your electric bill. For gaming, AMD's 8000 series CPU's are much faster than any i3 because of the extra cores, the i3 is likely to bottleneck your GPU a bit in CPU intensive games because it only has two cores.

And you're right about the Japanese games, for some reason Japan has ignored PC for many years. :/ It's slowly starting to change but as of now its not enough, there's no guarantee you'll ever see games like Atelier, Kingdom Hearts, Disgaea etc. (Though I'd love to see them on PC)
PC has its own games that never make it to console though, so it might be worth it for the new experiences
Oh and I didn't mean you could get a console experience for $150, those were just prices for the CPU alone. The whole PC once you pick out the GPU, motherboard etc. could be anywhere from $500-$1000. lol
Btw you'd be surprised how powerful the 750ti is for such a little card, they made a very good review of it here if your interested in it http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti-review 
I think its going to hold up pretty well for games with PS4 quality graphics, its the bare minimum you need but if money isnt an issue then the 960 is definitely a better choice.

Oh and about the laptops, windows doesn't have any more errors on them than a normal desktop im not sure why someone would say that.
People don't like them cause they can be expensive for what they are, youre paying alot more for portability and the problems I told you about hold them back alot. (Like heat and ventillation >_<) I have a laptop with a GTX 680m that burns hotter than the sun sometimes temps are 80c+ and I sometimes have to set it on a table or let it cool off because it becomes uncomfortable to use lol

Btw sorry about the late replay, got busy and didnt have the time to type this xD

Yes I know, 750TI is an interesting card. :)

She was in plannings my most favorite.

Then suddenly the 960 appeared and the financial-step is a "small" one.

I also thought about an AMD, eg A10-7850K (FM2+) and to use its IGP, which would be the cheapest option, but the CPU-part seems to be a bottleneck in many games. ... See? I told you an i3 can crush any AMD in games. :P

Kaveri_SC2-HotS_CPU-pcgh.png

Kaveri_Anno_CPU-pcgh.png

I mean, sure it would be way stronger than my Core2Duo T6600 and ATI 4670M, but just to look at this pictures give me a solid feeling of "meh"...

And because Im most of the time playing on PS3 or Vita, I would prefer CPU-power over GPU-power.

But yeah, it IS the cheapest option AND still an upgrade for me ... Dunno, maybe Im going to choose this method when I solved my roomdesign-problem. :)

Edited by Neputyunu

For me, I'm everywhere. Trophies aren't an issue. Console is like Single player/Small group of friends type of thing. As for PC is the only place that offers extraordinary MMORPG experience. Of course there are people who exist in this world that will go #PCMasterRace, but who doesn't have those people. (I.E. #PlaystationFanBoys #XboxFanBoys) ._. In every community we all have those ummm....special people :>. (I have no way of putting it into nice words without throwing f bombs or b words.) In anycase, I play games to play games. I'm one of those people who will have multiple games of the same kind. Just to compare what the creators want the game to look like versus a port to a lower quality. Not much difference I'd say. :/

I always had a strong PC to play strategy or MMO games but recently i got hooked up by trophies and abandoned PC. After a year of hardcore trophy hunting i realised its kinda stupid to only focus on it and started playing games for fun. Then i started to dislike current-gen and i seriously think about selling my PS4 after im done with Bloodborne and invest the money in better GFX and completely move to PC.

The 'next-gen' is very dissapointing so far, no 60 fps, no 1080p, plenty of remasters, too many FPS and racing games. It's just doesnt feel like a good old console gaming to me.

Just my 3 cents of course.