What are your thoughts on the Trophy system?

Not sure if this has been asked before but I'm not going to search through 42 pages for one post. What do you think about Sony's trophy system? Do you think it's better than Microsoft's GamerScore system? Worse? Equal? What do you like and dislike about it?

I like the trophy system. I like that trophies don't determine your position as a gamer. Whereas on Xbox, people will make fun of you for having a low GS. I like the little ping that plays whenever you earn a trophy. To me, it sounds triumphant, compared to the dull plop of the Achievement counter. I also like that trophies have a FULL time stamp, 

What I don't like is that synchonization takes too long. When I earn a trophy, sometimes it takes upwards of 5 minutes to fully sync. I also dislike that I cannot move my selection when loading trophies in online mode. The difficulty of some trophies is another woe, but overall, I really like the trophy system, and consider it to be superior to Microsoft's Achievements.

I'm quite tired, so forgive me if this is a crap reply! :P

=====================================

Trophies? To me, they're really important.

They're cookies being thrown at your face for doing something, but with a twist!

What is that twist exactly?

The sound! It's *full* of nostalgia for me.

I still remember getting my first trophy in 2009.

I had no idea what it was that popped in the corner, but I loved the sound it did!

I wanted to hear it again!

Which brings us to the main reason behind my love for these virtual cookies...

I look at my old trophies few times a week, and not because of some "See all these? They're mine, son!" sort of thing

I look at them because they're filled with memories!

• Like 1

Maxing out a bar with % is more fun than collecting 1000g :P Also, eg 40 Platinums tell a better story than 40000g, because it also could mean you played 80 games until 500g each or 500 games that you cancelled after the opening and you get the platinum basicly when you have 1000g.

Also it was naggy on XBox when you are trying to achieve something, it makes the XBox-pling, you are happy and then "... damnit, just a friend came online..."

...blah blah blah

...blah blah blah

And Im sure topics like this exist, somewhere. :P

TL;DR:

I think Sony did a great job as they copied the achievementsystem. xD

They're cookies being thrown at your face for doing something, but with a twist!

I had no idea what it was that popped in the corner, but I loved the sound it did!

I look at my old trophies few times a week, and not because of some "See all these? They're mine, son!" sort of thing

I love this reply so much. I have memories of my very first trophy too! I also go back to my old trophies a few times a week just to look at them.

Maxing out a bar with % is more fun than collecting 1000g :P Also, eg 40 Platinums tell a better story than 40000g, because it also could mean you played 80 games until 500g each or 500 games that you cancelled after the opening and you get the platinum basicly when you have 1000g.

Also it was naggy on XBox when you are trying to achieve something, it makes the XBox-pling, you are happy and then "... damnit, just a friend came online..."

...blah blah blah

...blah blah blah

And Im sure topics like this exist, somewhere. :P

TL;DR:

I think Sony did a great job as they copied the achievementsystem. xD

Xbox fails at the most basic of things.

I can relate to this. Mine may be more than a few times a week. Sometimes it may be a few times a day.

Plat>Gold>Silver>Bronze is a much better way of ordering the difficulty of trophies.

As was pointed out, the # of different classes of trophies says more about a gamer than GS. A player with 50,000 bronze and no gold is clearly a very casual, dip your toe in the game kind of gamer. But on M$ you'd only see the score and might think he's quite a dedicated achievement hunter. 

They did improve it later on the 360 with a special icon unlocking when you got all 1000GS in a game though, so you'd still be able to see if the player was a completionist or a whore.

Having sampled both, I think I prefer trophies.

Trophies are awesome. Not only do they extend the play time I now get out of games, They've also made me a better gamer as I now play most, if not all, of my games on hard..for the trophy. And as others have said before, that damn Trophy 'pling' is addictive. I see them as a way for the game to offer up a challenge to myself & the trophy is your reward/proof you've completed such challenge.

Mine is going to be an unpopular opinion around here, but I don't really care for trophies. I play games mainly for fun, do I happen to get trophies for it? Ok. I don't? Still ok.

Thanks also to websites like this, which give hints/trophy walkthroughs/gaming-boosting sessions… Trophies lost much of their value. To me what happens on PSNProfiles isn't really all that different from folks which resign others' saves to their users, in order to unlock trophies. Someone else already did the "bulk" of work for you, you're merely replicating steps.

Oh, I've got a trophy! Yeah, too bad I looked a Youtube video or followed someone's else tips in order to unlock it. Rain or shine, one didn't really get the trophies completely on his/her own. I value trophies when they are earned without any kind of "outside" help. And personally, I've encountered shitty players which "made fun" of my collection of trophies, back when I didn't have a single Platinum, as if those useless pieces of crap really do determine the value of a player. Not everyone has the same amount of time to invest in gaming.

Edited by Vergilex
  • Like 1

Mine is going to be an unpopular opinion around here, but I don't really care for trophies. I play games mainly for fun, do I happen to get trophies for it? Ok. I don't? Still ok.

Thanks also to websites like this, which give hints/trophy walkthroughs/gaming-boosting sessions… Trophies lost much of their value. To me what happens on PSNProfiles isn't really all that different from folks which resign others' saves to their users, in order to unlock trophies. Someone else already did the "bulk" of work for you, you're merely replicating steps.

Oh, I've got a trophy! Yeah, too bad I looked a Youtube video or followed someone's else tips in order to unlock it. Rain or shine, one didn't really get the trophies completely on his/her own. I value trophies when they are earned without any kind of "outside" help. And personally, I've encountered shitty players which "made fun" of my collection of trophies, back when I didn't have a single Platinum, as if those useless pieces of crap really do determine the value of a player. Not everyone has the same amount of time to invest in gaming.

I value all opinions equally. So you don't care for trophies. Big deal. The point is to have fun :P

• Like 2

Trophies are... ok. I've been completing my games to 100% since the N64 days. Whether trophies are around or not, that won't change.

I actually wouldn't mind it if trophies ceased to exist; wouldn't affect me in the slightest. 

Edited by Dark_Tooth69
  • Like 2