Sony apparently has no plans for the Vita in 2015

Happy

We aren't Japanese? :awesome:

last time i checkt i wasnt.   wait is it possible that this change from one day to another?

NFS: MW wasn't? Or you meant exclusive one?

hm i never played NFS:MW ..... so i dont know. when you say it is a good racer i will maybe try it .

Hm i never played NFS:MW ..... so i dont know. when you say it is a good racer i will maybe try it .

You should try the Sonic racer on Vita too. I'm not a racing fan at all. But I really enjoyed it :)

Edited by Cobby

maybe on next sale :) i have to be little bit careful with my backlog ..... 500 games at the moment.

Ouch xD

Vita games are just too expensive and risky

On PSN store it's mostly a rip off. Loom around at sites online and local stores you can find some good prices and deals.

• Like 2

I don't want to overestimate western perception of otaku, but I would be really surprised if someone actually did NOT know that otaku is an insult in Japan.

I feel like the west did to the word otaku what they do to nerd and geek and the like. It's popular (now) to seem unpopular. I would agree that most of us do know that it's an insult in Japan just like most of us know the best games are in Japan.

• Like 3

Umm no? I don't buy games for those things and I don't buy crap. Do I claim to be an ´´Otaku``?! I meant the really crappy games that don't make any sense in anything: gameplay, characters etc...and the people who buy everything and watch everything just to be cool and prove something.  I'm not like that at least as far as I know. Even though people may have different opinions about that. Appearently liking jrpgs and means means you're ´´Otaku``. Yuck.Sorry no thank you. I have a life. :/ Thanks for the insult though. I dunno which kind of Otaku you're insulting me to but. Even thought it has different use in western culture it doesn't change it original meaning. :P (not relevant to the topic though)

I never mean't to lump you in with being an Otaku, my apologies. However, what I got from your first post was that you were looking down on people who like anime, but I now understand you were talking about the people who are obsessed, who take things too far, "Otaku's'.

Sometimes I just get a little pissed because some people judge anyone who is interested in Japan or Japanese related content is an "Otaku" or "Weeboo" when anime is just like liking anything else, you can always go over board with it. I thought you were doing that, sorry. ^_^

I an ´´Otaku``?! I meant the really crappy games that don't make any sense in anything: gameplay, characters etc..

Yeah I really hate those too! They gave J-games a bad rep to anyone who haven't played good ones. But of corse some people like them, just a matter of opinion :D

• Like 2

The Vita was a long term project that had the bad luck to be released at about the same time Sonys financial struggle climaxed. I have realised that the Vita is considered dead as a business platform by Sony, and I will explain how.

Accountants and controllers demanded a few years ago that more or less every single part of the company would be made profitable within a relatively short amount of time. If not, they were to be sold or shut down. Sony made it through, but we have to remember that Sony was actually on the verge of bankruptcy back then. The drop has stopped, but they are still not safe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony#Finances

Their television branch, once the foundation of Sony, had lost its ground very much because of stiff competition from South Korean companies and was reshaped.

Its computer branch was sold to a Japanese investment company, and they shut down all operations outside Japan.

The Vita project was made to be a long term investment. The console itself was expensive with all its features and OLED screen, and sold with a loss. The decision of using an OLED screen was partly to bring their own production up, spread awareness of it and pave way for higher OLED screen sales which would mean lower costs and higher profit.

But because of the financial difficulties in the company, and stiff competition and somewhat reshaped handheld gaming market because of smartphones, new orders emerged from above that basically meant that backing and investments was put on hold. They deemed the risk was to high considering Sonys situation. A shame if you ask me, because it was really something unique and had potential. But the timing was worst.

The PS4 was originally made to be more or less profitable already at release, being as shitty as Xbone. They had strict orders from the superiors not to take any risks. But the project managers or perhaps lead engineers managed in the last minute to pursue the superiors to push for a slight initial loss to most notably incorporate a more powerful graphics solution. This turned out to be a good move.

The PS4 sold well over expectations, and have had continued strong sales ever since, both hardware and software wise. The next step for Sony was obvious for them: all backing of the Vita will cease and all assets (game productions, technology) will be transferred to the PS4 where it is possible.

The Vita would be revised and stripped out of features that wasn't necessary to make it cheaper to produce, most notably the OLED screen, hence the Vita 2000.

They had plans to release an HDMI cable and let people play some of their Vita games on a TV. That's what the mystery port on the Vita 1000 is for. It is a video out port with electronics that converts the Vita picture to a 1080i signal. That was scrapped to make the Vita cheaper and replaced with the Vita TV, later only Playstation TV (the Vita brand was considered that weak) to have a chance of making more use of the software and sell another device that was cheap to manufacture.

No more games would be produced by Sony. Commercials would cease, PR kept to a minimum. System software updates will only be made to patch exploits, improve Remote play that rides on the PS4:s success, and progressively remove features if they deem the cost overweighs the benefit.

It is not that the Vita would necessarily be a failure, but Sony is in a tight spot, and it had to go because of that.

I think the reason Vita hasn't, and will not just yet be scrapped entirely, is not about costumer loyalty, but because ongoing agreements with other companies. As a business platform the Vita is dead in Sonys eyes. There will not be a single bet on it anymore. They are just waiting for the right time to cease production. But they might also keep around as long as there actually are coming a few games to it.

I love the Vita and think it is the best console I have ever bought, but it fell victim in a mishandled conglomerate.

Thinking about it, when Vita was launched, it promised a lot, but suddenly it began "misteriously" declining in its game catalog and other functions.

I knew Sony was making a new Vita model in order to save money, but I was an ignorant of their situation. Glad you could shed some light here.

From what I've heard, Sony Pictures itself is suffering massive losses. Not only this, but news months ago stated that Sony would be centering their efforts on the entertainment (AKA gaming) sectors. This is logical seeing how Ps4 was faring in sales. It is basically becoming their pillar in economy from what I know so far.

By the way, a nice insight there, you deserve recongnition for taking your time and stating your points (no sarcasm or joke intended).

As a side and off-topic question: what did you mean by "---"? Just out of curiosity :D

Cheers.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

Thinking about it, when Vita was launched, it promised a lot, but suddenly it began "misteriously" declining in its game catalog and other functions.

I knew Sony was making a new Vita model in order to save money, but I was an ignorant of their situation. Glad you could shed some light here.

From what I've heard, Sony Pictures itself is suffering massive losses. Not only this, but news months ago stated that Sony would be centering their efforts on the entertainment (AKA gaming) sectors. This is logical seeing how Ps4 was faring in sales. It is basically becoming their pillar in economy from what I know so far.

By the way, a nice insight there, you deserve recongnition for taking your time and stating your points (no sarcasm or joke intended).

As a side and off-topic question: what did you mean by "---"? Just out of curiosity :D

Cheers.

One senior even slipped the word "legacy" about the Vita. Says a lot.

The PS4 is about the only real success for Sony in a long time now, so it's no wonder they focus their efforts on that. Most other divisions are just doing damage control.

"---" is just a separator. I wanted to address you and Goro, but I didn't want to start my post with quotes, so I put them after the text. I used "---" to separate those two quote from the rest, so there wouldn't be any confusion about what I really answered and addressed, since I wanted to answer some other stuff too. But it looks like I failed :P

If that ever happens, I'm making my own studio.

11/10 would bake.

tumblr_mig36dqSKc1retkhso1_400.gif

Don't ever mention Drifting Simulator 2012 as a vita game again.

It was a solid aracderacer imo. And somehow it was for me better on Vita than on PS3. :)

The drifting isnt thaaat brutal... Maybe you just need to re-coordinate the usage of the break and the LS :P

Or change the tires. :P I used driftingtires only for trophy related stuff.

... I only disliked the rubberbanding-AI, but, well, it seems thats normal today...

On topic: I dont care that Sony isnt caring about their adorable little daughter...There is enough stuff to keep me busy for years. ^_^

Edited by Neputyunu

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/24/this-week-in-sales-is-sanity-the-price-to-pay-for-power/

Just another jab at how Vita is dead and so on.

2 times sales of PS4. Still on pair with PS4 sales per week. Definitely a dead console.

And also why Japanese games are on Vita and not on PS4. Because Vita just sells while PS4 does not.

• Like 1

Drifting is the best part of racing games, though :P

You certainly didn't play NFS: Shift 2!

It was a solid arcaderacer imo. And somehow it was for me better on Vita than on PS3. :)

The drifting isnt thaaat brutal... Maybe you just need to re-coordinate the usage of the break and the LS :P

Or change the tires. :P I used driftingtires only for trophy related stuff.

... I only disliked the rubberbanding-AI, but, well, it seems thats normal today...

How come? I crashed way more often on the vita crap port than on the PS3 version, tried racing corners and BOOM, crashed on the side. I can't mention how painful Needle Point was on the vita. The point is not how I can't drift, but how I'm forced to drift without trying to. There wasn't any drift tires, only 4 types were Stock, Track, Off-Road and Reinflates. Normal people used Track tires 90% of the time.

Yeah, rubberbanding AI seems quite normal nowadays which is a shame.

How come? I crashed way more often on the vita crap port than on the PS3 version, tried racing corners and BOOM, crashed on the side. I can't mention how painful Needle Point was on the vita. The point is not how I can't drift, but how I'm forced to drift without trying to. There wasn't any drift tires, only 4 types were Stock, Track, Off-Road and Reinflates. Normal people used Track tires 90% of the time.

Yeah, rubberbanding AI seems quite normal nowadays which is a shame.

Dunno, maybe they are part of one of these DLCs for PS3. :)

Well, Im not normal, but... Track-Tires, of course. ^_^

Most times Im even not breaking in NFS. It is enough when you stop accelerate in time.

Have you seen the Trailer for the new NFS? THIS looks like a Drifting Simulator xD

Edited by Neputyunu
  • Like 1

Dunno, maybe they are part of one of these DLCs for PS3. :)

Most times Im even not breaking in NFS. It is enough when you stop accelerate in time.

Have you seen the Trailer for the new NFS? THIS looks like a Drifting Simulator xD

Maybe, I didn't play the DLCs, so I can't recall if there were any on the EasyDrive for that.

That is exactly the point, I usually don't brake either and I started sliding like an icerink and crashed the whole time! It was certainly a frustrating experience and not rewarding to go through. The PS3 version was far more enjoyable (even though it's annoying to crash (cutscene) and gas away like nothing happened).

I did and I certainly agree on that.  xD

I'm not against drifting IF that is something well implemented that you can feel like you have control over.

Maybe, I didn't play the DLCs, so I can't recall if there were any on the EasyDrive for that.

That is exactly the point, I usually don't brake either and I started sliding like an icerink and crashed the whole time! It was certainly a frustrating experience and not rewarding to go through. The PS3 version was far more enjoyable (even though it's annoying to crash (cutscene) and gas away like nothing happened).

I did and I certainly agree on that.  xD

I'm not against drifting IF that is something well implemented that you can feel like you have control over.

It also depends on the car. I cant drive eg Koenigsegg Agera ... it has a horrible handling imo.

I cant drive it in any game ... In GRID2 I kissed nearly every wall with that car. xD

• Like 1