We Play Ys: Memories of Celceta

I meant as in skills for each character I have R1 + each face button, will i get a 5th and 6th skill to swap in later and if so will i unlock them anytime soon?

At checkpoint 4, I have five skills for each person, i picked up the extra ones as I went through the underground ruins.  I avoided using Adol there to get as many slime kills as possible, so this may have helped.  Adol kills the slimes outright but the others cause them to split giving more drops.

I meant as in skills for each character I have R1 + each face button, will i get a 5th and 6th skill to swap in later and if so will i unlock them anytime soon?

Oh I see, yeah there are 12 skills for Adol and 10 skills for every other party member. You can check stage 2 of the Ys guide on how to quickly level up all your skills while working on other things. But if you decide to skip the grind, at least fully upgrade Adol's Stun Raid and Aura Fencer. Those are the only skills I've used on Nightmare.

Now that I've finally caught up with you guys, it's time for me to report.

Overall stats:

Map: 47.2 %

Memories: 41.6 %

Chests: 36.6

Harvest Points: 56.9%

Items: 36.7% (I didn't buy weapons in Selray or post-revisit Casnan to save money, and I didn't craft all higher tier accessories yet)

Materials: 68.9%

Monsters: 36.7%

Quests: 39.4%

Party stats:

Adol: Level 21, 5 skills

Duren: Level 21, 5 skills

Karna: Level 20, 5 skills

Ozma: Level 20, 4 skills

Checkpoint Questions:

1. Thoughts on the amnesia as a plot device in this game?

I'm pleased with the way it's handled here. It provides the mystery, and shows us more about the Adol. Not to mention that it makes this game a nice entry-point for those not familiar with the Ys series.

2. Thoughts on Adol and Duren?

Adol is still Adol. Naive, adventurous, curious youth with the giant Hero Complex. He is much more talkative than before, which is a welcoming change. I'm glad that MoC tries to flesh him out more.

First I've thought that Duren is going to be just this game's version of Dogi, but he has proven to be a very interesting character.  

3. Favourite Character so far?

Duren. He insists that he's in it only for the money, constantly berates Adol for his naivete, and tries to pass himself as a man "who doesn't really care about his companions and just tagged along for the future profit", but the facade frequently slips away, revealing that he actually cares. I suspect that this "duality" is going to cost him in the future. 

4. Thoughts on General Leo? Do you think he'll prove to be an ally or a hindrance in the long run?

General Leo is glorious. He is your standard stubborn but likable goofy "rival", who fails and messes up constantly, but despite that still belives that he is awesome. Not only that, he always strives to prove this fact to everyone (including himself), no matter what even. I think near the end of the game he'll finally manage to stop failing, will become an ally and justify his old nickname. But even if not, it's okay - his exploits still are a joy to observe.

5. Thoughts on the combat system? Who have you been using most?

It feels more fast paced than the previous Ys games (note: I haven't played Seven). I try to switch characters according to situation, but I'm more used to Adol. The party system was new to me, but I've adapted quickly.

6. How did you find the first boss fight in the mines?

Just an easy warm-up fight. 

7. Do you like the art style/graphics?

As usual, illustrations are beautiful, and the graphics focus more on character/monster models, which are really good. 

And I'm so welcome the change from chibi characters to the models that actually correspond to their portraits! Never liked the chibis.

So yeah, I like it.

Random notes:

- So far no bosses gave me any trouble, though I must mention that the Sacred Lair's boss was very boring. I say so far this Ys is the easiest and I'm actually looking forward to the challenge of Nightmare.

- It seems Adol (true to himself, as always) still crashes boats. While speaking with Ozma during Selray memory, I chose "The boat would be smashed to pieces". When asked why he said that, Adol acted pretty embarassed. It seems he was speaking from experience...

- While similarity of Comodo and Selray events was jarring, it sure reminded me of this little saying about Adol from other game (I think it was the second or the third one) that went along the lines of "some percieve him as warrior of light and servant of the godesses, but some say that he is a harbringer of disaster and where he goes, horrible things are sure to follow". Well, here's our confirmation.

- I've actually managed to kill Crocle during my backtracking towards Selray by abusing Karna's knives and poor crocodile's (dragon's?) aggro triggers. My party was level 18 by that time. I realise now that I should have snapped a picture... 

- Speaking of pictures, after beating the Sacred Beast's Lair boss first time, guys decided to... celebrate and perform a fusion, I guess?

8JpISbl.jpg?1

Edited by NetEntity
  • Like 1

Checkpoint 5 - Complete the Tower of Providence

Missables and Notes:

1. There's a treasure chest that's very easy to miss in the Tower of Providence and it's needed for  :silver: Treasure Hunter.
    4OqUHwZ.jpg
  2. There are 2 missable monsters in the Tower of Providence. Fildabal during the first boss fight and Zandabal will be summoned once you scale the tower with the boots artefact.
  3. After reaching the top of the Tower of Providence, you'll unlock  :bronze: White Wings.

Discussion points for checkpoint 3 will be up in a while I need to refresh my memory of the eventsthere are 2 missable monsters in the Tower of Providence. Fildabal during the first boss fight and Zandabal will be summoned once you scale the tower with the boots artefact. that occurred.

Edited by Superbuu3

Checkpoint 5 - Complete the Tower of Providence

Missables and Notes:

1. There's a treasure chest that's very easy to miss in the Tower of Providence and it's needed for  :silver: Treasure Hunter.

4OqUHwZ.jpg

2. After reaching the top of the Tower of Providence, you'll unlock  :bronze: White Wings.

Discussion points for checkpoint 3 will be up in a while I need to refresh my memory of the events that occurred.

It should be noted that immediately after completing the Tower of Providence, you'll be back at Highland and have to complete story events there if you leave the tower. So you can't exit the tower to free roam or anything. Also there are 2 missable monsters in the Tower of Providence. Zandabal during the first boss fight and Fildabal will be summoned once you scale the tower with the boots artefact after the first boss fight. Though I'm not sure if Fildabal counts for the trophy, because its entry is missing.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

Checkpoint 5 Reached! panda-emoticon-69.gif?1292863521

Current Record:

Map Completion: 56.3%

Memories Found: 52.7%

Chests Found: 47.3% (got the tricky one in Tower of Providence)

Harvest Points: 63.9%

Item Completion: 47.2%

Material Compendium: 70.2%

Monster Compendium: 47.0% (defeated a couple of Fildabal  and Zandabal during first boss fight and during run like mad sequence respectively)

Quest Completion: 39.4%

btw... Kyaa!!.... my fave character has joined the party... *pushes Duren off the party*

I'm also done. Decided to wait until somebody else posts, as I've stopped as soon as the White Wings popped up, but wasn't sure if I've stopped at the right place. Highlands revisit and the following sidequests are reserved for the next checkpoint, right?

Overall Stats:

Map: 57.8 %

Memories: 52.7 %

Chests: 47.7%

Harvest Points: 63.9%

Items: 50.2% 

Materials: 74.3%

Monsters: 46.4% (I have the Zandabal entry, and Fildabal doesn't get one even after you kill it, correct? I hope I haven't missed anything...)

Adol, Duren and Calilica have reached level 30, Karna and Ozma - level 28. 

Also, I must mention some things:

- Zeisitu (the knights) give nice amounts of EXP. They spawn in the batch of three in some places, it's just too good an opportunity to pass up. I didn't grind much though, simply killing them if I was running past was enough.

- I've killed an Egriz (the bear) while fooling around in Plateau Path. Those bastards are very persistent, and I wouldn't recommend facing them underleveled, like I did, if you can't dodge well enough. But it's really, really satisfying if you can.

IIwPZzw.jpg

- Now I'm dead sure that Adol is the "harbringer of disaster", and in my mind I will refer to him as exactly that.

eBlTDab.jpg

JR06aLy.jpg

- The second form of the Tower's boss was really good. It was the first time in MoC when I was actually having tons of fun killing a boss.

Can't wait for another checkpoint, after recent story revelations I'm positively giddy.   

Highlands revisit and the following sidequests are reserved for the next checkpoint, right?

Overall Stats:

Monsters: 46.4% (I have the Zandabal entry, and Fildabal doesn't get one even after you kill it, correct? I hope I haven't missed anything...)

Also, I must mention some things:

- Zeisitu (the knights) give nice amounts of EXP. They spawn in the batch of three in some places, it's just too good an opportunity to pass up. I didn't grind much though, simply killing them if I was running past was enough.

- I've killed an Egriz (the bear) while fooling around in Plateau Path. Those bastards are very persistent, and I wouldn't recommend facing them underleveled, like I did, if you can't dodge well enough. But it's really, really satisfying if you can.

-yep, Highland revisit and it's quest would probably be included in next checkpoint..

-for monster list, yes, I guess you are in track ATM... don't have my vita ATM so couldn't confirm personally but basing on this thread, Zandabal is in monster list while Fildabal doesn't.

- the 3 Zeisitu + giant spider thingy spot in first floor ToP is my most loved EXP grind spot in that area... it bumped my beloved Calilica lots of level just beating em up in minutes...

-Egriz  is a bastard... next to madogra slef, it is my most hated monster in this game... what I did for this guy is have my Adol spam Skills with fast animations then switch to Karna and have her earn SP then switch again to Adol...

-yep, Highland revisit and it's quest would probably be included in next checkpoint..

-for monster list, yes, I guess you are in track ATM... don't have my vita ATM so couldn't confirm personally but basing on this thread, Zandabal is in monster list while Fildabal doesn't.

- the 3 Zeisitu + giant spider thingy spot in first floor ToP is my most loved EXP grind spot in that area... it bumped my beloved Calilica lots of level just beating em up in minutes...

-Egriz  is a bastard... next to madogra slef, it is my most hated monster in this game... what I did for this guy is have my Adol spam Skills with fast animations then switch to Karna and have her earn SP then switch again to Adol...

I see. I hope that my 0.6% lower monster completion just means that I've missed one monster somewhere else.

Egrizes are very dangerous, esp. with low level party - they dish out crazy damage, but hoo boy, are those guys fun to kill! All you need is an open place to lure them on, good reflexes and knowledge of their attacks and you're good to go. They mainly lunge on you, just dodge, they'll miss and helplessly fall on their bellies, giving you a huge window for attack. As soon as I'll be able to free roam, I'll go bear hunting again just for the thrill. Although now that almost everyone have reached 30, it won't be so thrilling anymore...

Edited by NetEntity

I see. I hope that my 0.6% lower monster completion just means that I've missed one monster somewhere else.

panda-emoticon-64.gif?1292863520*whistling* since I've already played this before.. I actually dunno where to stop therefore I went back to Highland and had fight there... panda-emoticon-54.gif?1292863517

Hi guys, I'm just about to head out for the Tower of Providence, but I have a quick question before I leave.

Since we're able to reinforce our armour and weapons before leaving Highland Town, I'm sort of curious as to what everyone else's stats are for their weapons and armour. 

Personally:

Adol:

• Claymore - ATK 9, ABSB 4, CRIT 7, PARA 4
  • Lamellar Armour - DEF 6, HEAL 4, EVA 4, PARA 5

Karna:

• Feather Knives - ATK 9, ABSB 3, CRIT 6, PARA 3
  • Lamellar Armour - DEF 2, HEAL 3, EVA 5, PARA 5

Duren:

• Shark Fin DX - ATK 8, ABSB 1, CRIT 7, PARA 4
  • Scales Mail DX - DEF 1, HEAL 4, EVA 2, PARA 5

I'm not sure whether I'm underpowered, or if I've just unnecessarily wasted my gold trying to upgrade my things!

Hi guys, I'm just about to head out for the Tower of Providence, but I have a quick question before I leave.

Since we're able to reinforce our armour and weapons before leaving Highland Town, I'm sort of curious as to what everyone else's stats are for their weapons and armour. 

Personally:

Adol:

Karna:

Duren:

I'm not sure whether I'm underpowered, or if I've just unnecessarily wasted my gold trying to upgrade my things!

I'm playing on normal and thats way more powerful than what i'm using. I think i got like 1 point in a couple of things, mainly because I feel like we're at a point where we upgrade stuff so quickly its not worth the money just yet.

Egrizes are very dangerous, esp. with low level party - they dish out crazy damage, but hoo boy, are those guys fun to kill! All you need is an open place to lure them on, good reflexes and knowledge of their attacks and you're good to go. They mainly lunge on you, just dodge, they'll miss and helplessly fall on their bellies, giving you a huge window for attack. As soon as I'll be able to free roam, I'll go bear hunting again just for the thrill. Although now that almost everyone have reached 30, it won't be so thrilling anymore...

If you're missing an entry, you can take a look at this checklist.

Personally:

Adol:

Karna:

Duren:

If you're playing on easy or normal, it's not necessary to reinforce weapons and armours. You can save the money for the 1,000,000 gold and reinforcing ultimate weapons and armours for the Nightmare playthrough.

Edited by Dragon-Archon

I'm playing on normal and thats way more powerful than what i'm using. I think i got like 1 point in a couple of things, mainly because I feel like we're at a point where we upgrade stuff so quickly its not worth the money just yet.

If you're playing on easy or normal, it's not necessary to reinforce weapons and armours. You can save the money for the 1,000,000 gold and reinforcing ultimate weapons and armours for the Nightmare playthrough.

Haha, looks like I'm going a bit overkill...!

I'll stick with my weapons and armour for the time being, but at least I know for the future. Thanks guys

Current Group Progress:

Current Members:

1. Superbuu3 (Checkpoint 3)
  2. aerosol_grey (Checkpoint 4)
  3. CasaDeBen (Checkpoint 2)
  4. cjshaitan (Checkpoint 4)
  5. Fozzyabear
  6. j-a-y-888 (Checkpoint 4)
  7. JeieeM (Checkpoint 5)
  8. Jeandeve (Checkpoint 2)
  9. NetEntity (Checkpoint 5)
  10. NullRay85 (Checkpoint 4)
  11. redcar200 (Checkpoint 4)
  12. shadow0988 (Checkpoint 3)
  13. Vermachtnis
  14. Yadille (Checkpoint 4)
  15. Zajac9999

Checkpoint 1 - Complete Casnia Mine (Completed 12 out of 15)

Checkpoint 2 - Reach the Forest of Dawn: Stream (Completed 12 out of 15)

Checkpoint 3 - Clear Ancient Burrow and Sacred Beast's Lair (Completed 10 out of 15)

Checkpoint 4 - Reach the Primeval Lands (Completed 8 out of 15)

Checkpoint 5 - Complete the Tower of Providence (Completed 2 out of 15)

3 people haven't started, zajac is waiting for us to play on nightmare. So technically we can assume this is out of 12. So no new checkpoint until 7 of us get up to checkpoint 5. I think thats currently sensible. I'm going to aim to hit Checkpoint 5 on Saturday hopefully.

I'll have discussion points up tomorrow.

Edited by Superbuu3

I've just hit checkpoint five as well.

My current stats are:

Map: 56.7 %

Memories: 52.7 %

Chests: 48.2%

Harvest Points: 64.6%

Items: 48.1% 

Materials: 74.3%

Monsters: 46.4%

Quests: 34.2%

It looks like our monster completion rate is the same - so, unless we've both missed a monster, we should be okay.

Checkpoint 4:

My current stats are:

Map: 46.8 %

Memories: 41.6 %

Chests: 35.2%

Harvest Points: 56.9%

Items: 34.8% 

Materials: 72.9%

Monsters: 36.7%

I suspect i missed a chest right near the beginning of the game.

Edited by Superbuu3

Hmmm, I've just noticed that my Quest Completion percentage is lower than everyone else's...  :hmm:

I thought I'd been careful not to miss anything. When I get the chance, I'll compare the in game journal to the checkpoints to see if there's anything that is obviously missing. Hope it's not something that is missable!  

Hmmm, I've just noticed that my Quest Completion percentage is lower than everyone else's...  :hmm:

I thought I'd been careful not to miss anything. When I get the chance, I'll compare the in game journal to the checkpoints to see if there's anything that is obviously missing. Hope it's not something that is missable!  

I mentioned earlier that you can goto Comodo and get some non urgent quests. They're not missable you can do them at any point thats where you got the discrepancy.

On the other hand I apparently missed a chest and map on the beginning part of the game :(, so i'm going to have to back track and check all over the forest to see what i missed.

I mentioned earlier that you can goto Comodo and get some non urgent quests. They're not missable you can do them at any point thats where you got the discrepancy.

On the other hand I apparently missed a chest and map on the beginning part of the game :(, so i'm going to have to back track and check all over the forest to see what i missed.

I guess you're both very happy that the complementary guide exists.

• Like 1

From now on all discussion points will be added to the first post so they are easier for people catching up to find. We will be setting a new checkpoint on Tuesday. To stop people idling too much.

Checkpoint 3 Discussion Points:

Remember to state what difficulty you're playing on.

1. Did you goto Comodo or Selray First?

2. Thoughts on Ozma and Karna?

3. Who's your current favourite character and has it changed?

4. Which character are you using for combat most? Which character are you using for enemies with no weakness and bosses?

5. What did you think of the intro of both towns being almost identical?

6. Do you like how we have flashbacks before entering each village?

7. Did you have any idea who the masked enemies might be? Did the masked warriors blocking the entrance to Ancient Burrow tough?

8. Did you enjoy the two boss fights in Ancient Burrow (The giant bee Melldrabie and the bug that rolls into a ball Glucarius)?

9. What do you think of Remnos and how he hid his abilities? Do you think Karna had a right to be annoyed?

10. What did you think of Forest labyrinth and Misty peak with the repeating screens?

11. What did you think was happening in Selray when you heard about the poison?

12. Did you prefer the Ancient burrow or Sacred Beasts lair dungeon?

13. Did you enjoy the serpent boss (Volnake) and the fish boss (Angoraboras)?

14. Did the actual source of the poisoning surprise you?

15. Thoughts on Bami (sexy sorceress) and Gadis (the walking tank). What do you think they are planning?

Me Is On Normal Run 

-Comodo, checking the map it is the one that looks closer to the fork...

- Kyaaa... Karna... finally a long ran... *ehem* gameplay-wise when i first met Karna, I really knew she will be one of the full time party member in the rest of the game... Ozma... not really much love for him... not really fan of his attacks... but characterwise they seems to be an OK characters....

-so far... Karna... ask me again on Checkpoint 5 discussion  :eyebrow: 

4. Which character are you using for combat most? Which character are you using for enemies with no weakness and bosses?

-Adol... still Sugoi in my eyes...

-lol... it was quite interesting/funny at the same time since it *spoiler* seems to become a gag/joke when they reached Highland *endofspoiler*

-I do... I always enjoy watching character flashbacks/backstories...

7. Did you have any idea who the masked enemies might be? Did the masked warriors blocking the entrance to Ancient Burrow tough?

- :|  no comment...

8. Did you enjoy the two boss fights in Ancient Burrow (The giant bee Melldrabie and the bug that rolls into a ball Glucarius)?

-not really... that rolling hard-shelled bug is annoying... :|

9. What do you think of Remnos and how he hid his abilities? Do you think Karna had a right to be annoyed?

-sure Karna had a right to be annoyed.. but I still think Remnos intention is good or maybe... I still have my *suspicious eyes look* on that guy...

10. What did you think of Forest labyrinth and Misty peak with the repeating screens?

-Forest Labyrinth was fun TBH... not really a fan of Misty Peak since I got lost on my first run (my fault since I didn't paid attention on what the duo Adventurer said)

-when I first heard it... thought that it's Ozma's fault and he is actually an evil guy... yeah... not a fan of him xD 

-ohhhh... gosh.. hard to choose which is less annoying... exploring dungeon while being tiny or fighting under the water... don't start me with boss fights in these 2... but if I must choose... will go with Ancient Borrow...

-Angoraboras underwater - ugh.. annoying... seriously... hate underwater battles in this game... Volnake and Angoraboras on land were actually fun battle... ^_^

-yep.. me still want to think that Ozma is actually be evil...yeahhhh.. this will go on for a long time...

15. Thoughts on Bami (sexy sorceress) and Gadis (the walking tank). What do you think they are planning?

- :| no comment again...

Checkpoint 3 Discussion Points:

Remember to state what difficulty you're playing on.

I'm playing on Nightmare difficulty (saved right before the point of no return, so hurry up slowpokes, I want to get that plat :P )

1. Comodo on the first playthrough and Selray on the second.
  2. I don't really like Ozma, but I also don't dislike him. Karna on the other hand is a fun character, with her being dense about obvious stuff.
  3. At that point in the game Karna became my favourite character.
  4. Used Adol the most and Duren + Karna for the Strike and Pierce attacks. Didn't use Ozma until leveling his skills.
  5. It becomes predictable, but I can see why the developers did it. You can choose which village to visit first. I didn't mind it and wanted to find out what happened.
  6. Yes.
  7. Yes, I suspected who they were. Their clothing gave it away. On Nightmare that fight was a lot harder, even with my ultimate armor at +72 I still needed a few potions.
  8. Yeah, those were good fights.
  9. That was a real surprise and I suspected him after Karna's dad told her to stay away. Sure she can be annoyed, but needs to accept it and move on. It's not Remnos' fault for having natural talent.
  10. Confusing at first, until I figured out what to do.
  11. I thought Bami was up to no good here again (did Comodo first on the first playthrough).
  12. Ancient Burrow, I hated not being able to fight and dodge properly underwater in the Sacred Beasts' Lair.
  13. The serpent boss was ok, the second fight against the fish boss was one of the most annoying on Nightmare.
  14. Yes, I totally did not see that coming.
  15. Both are up to no good, but atleast Bami looks nice. During my first playthrough I immediately thought they were forming an army for a war against the Roman soldiers.