Play game or watch anime first?

HcG Clawz

I played Senran Kagura before watching the anime and I felt lost. Now I did watch it all and feel like I'm more prepared to understand the world and the characters whenever I play the Estival Versus.

I suppose it's always possible to understand an anime by itself, but kinda of hard to understand a game without watching the anime first (in general), so I would watch the anime before playing even if the anime is based on the game.

Definitely play the visual novel first. As with any anime it will follow a specific route and take away from the experience and give you more insight to everything. If you end up being a fan then watch the anime. Remember this game is essentially a novel it will lose a lot of impact if you know what happens during most the choices.

• Like 4

I stopped watching the anime just to play the VN. Adaptations are almost never as good as the source material, but the anime is universally acclaimed and is great from what I've watched. 

I'd play the VN first. 

I played Senran Kagura before watching the anime and I felt lost. Now I did watch it all and feel like I'm more prepared to understand the world and the characters whenever I play the Estival Versus.

I suppose it's always possible to understand an anime by itself, but kinda of hard to understand a game without watching the anime first (in general), so I would watch the anime before playing even if the anime is based on the game.

Okay you paid attention to the story. but what about the plot?:awesome: But the reason Shinovi Versus didn't make sense to you (if that's you're first SK game) is because the anime isn't tied to that game at all. Burst is the game that the anime was based off of and it only included the Hanzo and Crimson Squad girls. Fans have said that it feels half assed compared to SK Burst's actual storyline. Trust me, when you want SK you want full ass. :awesome:

Getting away from that creepy last part and OT: I suggest playing the game. Lots of animes are based off of VNs and usually they cut out a bunch of important stuff due to the amount of time they have on TV. Then it just feels half assed; Like the Danganronpa anime. So I'd say don't watch the anime till you've played the game

Edited by Blue Flare

both i have 2 32 in tv side by side roku ps3 on one and 2nd ps3 and ps4 on other. plus laptop on small table in front middle just under them and plex plus amazon prime yup i double dip games self boost or mix it up on top of that my vita next to tvs gaming is like a sport to me if olympics supported i would rep usa jan 1 2013 had 9 plat 2 years later plus change 131 mix of games.

I haven't seen Steins;Gate or played the VN, but I watched Clannad first before playing that game. It helped me understand what was happening.

both i have 2 32 in tv side by side roku ps3 on one and 2nd ps3 and ps4 on other. plus laptop on small table in front middle just under them and plex plus amazon prime yup i double dip games self boost or mix it up on top of that my vita next to tvs gaming is like a sport to me if olympics supported i would rep usa jan 1 2013 had 9 plat 2 years later plus change 131 mix of games.

So what does this have to do with anime or VNs?

• Like 1

Lol, what's this?

• Like 1

Here comes mad scientist, prepare for insane comparison! :awesome:

Definitely VN. Steins;Gate is #based, okay, yea it is but I mean based on xD, based on moments of surprise. Especially in later chapters. And watching anime unravels EVERYTHING about the main characters. Seriously, everything. You will immediately know who Suzuha is, who Moeka is, you will know what my description of guide means, you will know all about the antagonists. The anime is almost perfect in this aspect. But because it is, it will spoil you 85% of the Steins;Gate storyline. Especially if you watched it closely to each other. I watched it about 3 years ago and still remembered everything. But that's just me, because I have an insane memory for these things. So unless you want to know all the spoilers, I suggest playing VN first. If you watch anime after it, you can compare and see how anime brilliantly handled the adaptation.

If you watch anime first, the impact of big revelations won't be that much. I experienced it myself, the difference between what was in anime and what wasn't (chapter 6 and chapter 9 say hello).

All in all, because the anime is so perfect, you should go for VN first.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami
  • Like 1

my point is do both why not. i hate tv unless it football but anime all day, live action movies are crap for most part knowing they scripted so i stay to games and anime. do to my past i 25 years old lost 19 to foster care racking up on both hardcore. trying to make up for lost time.

Edited by holycooper90

Thanks for the responses guys, its kinda hard deciding since they both look great and both will give away spoilers to the other  :facepalm:

But anyway i decided to play the game first, not only because the anime is based of the game but also to experience the full VN.

Should probably get this game next week.

Btw which one should i play first? I'm gonna get both the PS3 and the PS Vita version just because i can use the other for the easy quick plat :D

Are there like any differences?

Okay you paid attention to the story. but what about the plot? :awesome: But the reason Shinovi Versus didn't make sense to you (if that's you're first SK game) is because the anime isn't tied to that game at all. Burst is the game that the anime was based off of and it only included the Hanzo and Crimson Squad girls. Fans have said that it feels half assed compared to SK Burst's actual storyline. Trust me, when you want SK you want full ass. :awesome:

Of course I did! If I didn't pay attention to what I'm playing, my profile would be full of VN's that I could skip everything! I can recall the story of every character, I believe. SAMBA?!?!!

Plot = best part.

I played Bon Appetit first, but I mainly felt lost because I didn't understand the characters, their bonds and their relationships. It's was just like jumping into half of the season of any series/anime, reason why I felt lost. It's just my oppinion though.

Of course I did! If I didn't pay attention to what I'm playing, my profile would be full of VN's that I could skip everything! I can recall the story of every character, I believe. SAMBA?!?!!

Plot = best part.

I played Bon Appetit first, but I mainly felt lost because I didn't understand the characters, their bonds and their relationships. It's was just like jumping into half of the season of any series/anime, reason why I felt lost. It's just my oppinion though.

I played BA first as well. While it's definitely better to play Shinovi Versus, all the Vita games are pretty much own-canon anyways.

• 1 year later...

I finished that game yesterday and man, what a great experience! Never thought I'd like Visual novels that much.

On a side note, I kinda feel sorry for people who skip everything and just start it up for the platinum. Guys you miss a

fantastic story :)

• Like 3

On 13/01/2017 at 0:32 PM, Gommes_ said:

I finished that game yesterday and man, what a great experience! Never thought I'd like Visual novels that much.

On a side note, I kinda feel sorry for people who skip everything and just start it up for the platinum. Guys you miss a

fantastic story :)

Definitely right. Even tho i Wanted to plat Steins;Gate that bad , i toilette my time and slowly read any piece of dialogue and texto and even waited for the Voicemail of chata stopped talking on each screen although i already read the sentence below on the subs .

My total time with Steins;Gate clocked ar around 85 hours until i got the plat and saw everthing so i really enjoyed this VN to the fullest . 

I always deem to take muc more time than the average player to finish a Visual Novel for some reason .:giggle: